S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Washing my S4 in the winter.........

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where in Bedminster??

I'm in Bernardsville and always looking for a good place in the area..
Old 02-15-2007, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This topic got me thinking.....how many of you S4 owners don't have a garage/car wash capabilities

at home? Is it that most people that own S4's live in a city? Or is it just that winter washing is to cold to perform at home? Maybe you guys should move to California! It was 70 degrees today in Walnut Creek!
Old 02-15-2007, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have a good garage for it...hose/drain/heater...just lazy/dont care enough

it also pisses me off when i wash my own car because i notice all of those small rock chips/scratches on the car...
Old 02-15-2007, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree with you, and have the same amenities....

I bought a yearly pass to my local car wash ($400) which entitles me to unlimited car washes the entire year. BTW, it is offline, and hand washed.

Have you looked into the clearbra? I've had mine for the length of my ownership with this S4, and I have zero scratches in the finish on the front end. sure, my wife slid her purse across the roof which left four scratch marks just behind the sunroof, but that is neither here nor there :^)
Old 02-16-2007, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Agreed - more...

I love my car and I treat it like a Ferrari. My past four cars have never been through a car wash (except a touchless spray down in a pinch). I use only micro-fiber and switch often. I use separate lambs wool washcloths above and below the belt line. I took my A6 to Scrub-a-Dub in Natick a few years ago and it was covered with swirl marks.

Think about it, there are high-speed cloths that scrub dirt off of hundreds of cars and get full of small stones and dirt in them. These are bound to scratch your car. The rim issue is possible too.

Some cars are not as negatively as others. Flat black is the most affected (from my experience), flat white I think you can do almost anything to without problems. Metallic paint covers it better that flat colors.

Someone else mentioned detailing. Yes good compounds done by people that know what they are doing can typically "restore" the look of the car and should be done at least twice per year.

I know I am more **** than most people about their cars, but I really love my cars (whether it's a Honda or an RS4), if it's mine, I treat it like an exotic. I'm that guy that parks at the far end of the lot. I'm the guy that scans the lot for loose carts or places where others might park. The past two cars (3 years) no scratches, no door dings and no swirl marks. Rims are always waxed and food is not allowed in the car. I like the look of a well-kept car and I usually get more for my trade-ins than most people.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default washed mine last Saturday in 33 degree temps..

Good thing when we remodeled I had the plumber run a hot and cold line outside.. warm water makes washing a car so much easier in this weather
Old 02-16-2007, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

So, Does anyone know of any locations by the Jersey Shore?
Old 02-16-2007, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I live in downtown Chicago and OC -- city living doesn't afford one the luxury of a driveway...

like the 2+ car garage "suburbtopia" of OC. =)

We get a parking space and that's about it. We either need to use a spray off place or go to a car wash (and there are plenty of hand car washes in old warehouses because the existing land plots don't really allow for the construction of a huge automated car wash facility).

A smart city dweller always has at least one friend with a house in the suburbs, and it's preferable they have a drain in their garage.

All that said, I wouldn't trade living in a big city for anything! A $10 cab ride (or less) can probably take me to more than 200 bars!
Old 02-16-2007, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've always been interested in buying one of these old warehouses in Chicago...

throwing in a few drains, some good gas blowers, and about 20-30 stalls where people could go and wash their cars themselves. Charge by the hour...they get a hose, a drain, an electric outlet, and a warm environment.

BYO anything, but there'd be an extra charge for soap, towels, waxes, vacuum use, etc.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Jersey Shore? cape may or north

Quick Reply: Washing my S4 in the winter.........