S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

What is better on snow and Ice: 4WD w/All Seasons or FrontWD w/ Snow/Winer tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 06:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is better on snow and Ice: 4WD w/All Seasons or FrontWD w/ Snow/Winer tires

If you had to take a trip in bad weather (snow/ice/heavy rains) on the highways, with your children in the car, which choice would you rather be driving and why? I'm sure some of you will come back and say "4WD w/ Snow tires", but in this hypothetical that's not an option.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:05 PM

4WD, without a doubt.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Real snows and FWD is safer. Snows work on ice unlike all season tires.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:08 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It depends on how much snow and how much ice.

All season tires can't be expected to do well in significant accumulations. Ground clearance will be the limiting factor with snow tires and FWD. Ice is just bad , but some snow tires will actually work somewhat on ice. The AWD will give you better handling on both snow and ice. The real answer to your question is that it depends on the conditions. Obviously the best situation is AWD with snow tires.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:09 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just remember that AWD and summer tires are literally and figuratively a NO GO in snow!
Old 11-28-2004, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Read this...

<ul><li><a href="http://caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&amp;article_id=3888&amp;p age_number=1">Snow testing</a></li></ul>
Old 11-28-2004, 07:21 PM

No doubt about the summer tires and snow, but his example suggests all season tires and 4WD.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:27 PM

Default Great article

I would agree, but it also depends on the all season tire. If you are talking about SUV all season tires like Michelin Cross Terrains or Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos, I still like 4WD and those tires because they have many "winter tire" characteristics. The reviews on Tirerack support this. It all depends on the all season tire that is compared to the winter tire. Sedan all seasons don't usually fare as well as SUV all season tires in the snow. Using sedans as an example, the C&amp;D conclusion is definitely true.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default There are Severe Weather tires, M&S , All Season, Rain and Summer tires...Take your pick

Typically the Severe Weather tires are specifically for snow and ice and have a silica based compound whith lots of siping. These tires are the "studless snow tires" and are becoming more and more popular as states outlaw studded mud and snows. Brands like Bridgestone Blizzac, Pirelli 240's, Michellin Alpin, etc. are popular makes and really do work very well on ice (without studs) and in snow and work well with performance oriented cars. They typically are not good in mud due to a less aggressive tread designed for max grip. Tread design is typically a non agressive looking design and ride quality and quietness are the attributes of these tires as well as superior traction in snow and ice. They tend to melt away on dry pavement with aggressive driving techniques and should be changed when the weather warms up. These should be used in sets of four. They will have a snowflake on the sidewall.
Traditional M&amp;S tires typically have a more aggressive tread design using some siping but traction performance relies more upon the agressive blocking of the tread. Even though these are made for cars a great example of the tread design is one which approximates a All Terain tire for a SUV. Good Year makes a Eagle M&amp;S as does Michellin and others that will take studs. These tires usually are studable and rely upon the studs for ice performance more than a silica based rubber compound. Without studs the tires are mostly good only as snow tires, but they also work well in mud due to the tread pattern. With studs they are not typically good on performance cars when used on all four wheels. Many use them only on the drive wheels for rear wheel drive as the rubber compound differs little from standard touring/all season tires and the front tires only have to steer. I have seen studs on all four wheels but would never recommend it, especially on a front wheel drive or a all wheel drive. The only instance that I would recommend these tires on all four wheels in is if one were going to be driving exclusively on ice and never see dry or only wet pavement during the winter. These will have a M&amp;S stamped on the sidewall.
All season tires are a compromise between extreme weather tires, summer tires and rain tires. Conti Contact, BFG Traction etc are examples of these tires. They will be marked "All Season" on the side wall. The tread pattern is self cleaning, the tread pattern is siped and more aggressive than summer or rain tires and rubber compounds are mid way between summer and extreme weather tires. They can be used year around as the name implies, but I would not use them if I spent alot of time in the snow, mud or ice nor would I use them in a performance situation. Probably the best use for them is city driving with occasional snow or on the front tires of a rear wheel drive car running studded snows on the rear.
Rain tires a similar to the all season except the rubber compound is suitable for warm weather climates where all season rubber won't harden in cold temperatures. Summer performance tires have no sipes and generally have a blocked pattern for less tread squirm. The rubber compound is only good in warm, dry weather with a few exceptions such as the Goodyear DSG-F1.
Ultimately your conditions will effect what type and combination of tire to use, but in any situation other than year round sunshine or year round snow I would have a set dedicated to winter and one dedicated to summer for increased tire longevity and best performance.
Just my opinion after 30 years of driving in the mountains Colorado year round.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: No doubt -- WOW This Place is great....

I created this thread then went away for 20 minutes to chat with someone. I come back and there is a whole slew of responses.

Thanks for the responses. Will read the C&amp;D article a little later. I'm basically, but not 100%, decided on an S4, but still considering going with another car, which is just FWD. I am in DC, so not exactly the snowbelt, but since an accident several years back, I am particularly cautious and nervous driving in the snow (and heavier rains). I am always paranoid about hydroplaning when driving on the highway in rain or snow. Only have experience in those situations driving FrontWD cars with stock all-seasons, so that is where my original question stems from, given I am about to get my 2nd car. Prior was an SLK32amg. NOT a winter car, but it was a lease assumption for just this last spring and summer. Now looking to get something that I can drop the roof with in season, but deal well with in the winter (with 4 seats). Hence the best choice seeming to be the S4 Cab.

Thanks again for the responses. Keep 'em coming.

Quick Reply: What is better on snow and Ice: 4WD w/All Seasons or FrontWD w/ Snow/Winer tires