S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Who's changed their spark plugs? DIY or shop? How much time? How much $$?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's changed their spark plugs? DIY or shop? How much time? How much $$?

It's time for my 60k service; dealer didn't do the the sparks at 55k, so I'm thinking of going to Streetwerke to do it on top of an oil change and tire rotation. Will be ~$390 for oil change (own oil), filter, tire rotation, spark plugs, labor. Thoughts?

Time's kind of limited, but I really <i>should</i> be working on the car myself as much as possible...and I could save a good lump of that on labor. I have my own jack and stands. I'd have to order the plugs, filter, oil extractor device (what are people's feelings on this? Initially it was mixed if I recall); then I'd have to properly dump the oil.

Not sure if it's worth my time though. Too busy lately....

Thoughts?

(ya probably answered the question myself.)
Old 11-08-2006, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default DIY should take no more than half an hour, Just make sure you do it

it either first thing in the am or the car is completly cool. Oh and don't go to the dealer for plugs mine ran me over 140.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Hmm...maybe I'll do it in LA over thanksgiving then. You do your own oil yet?
Old 11-08-2006, 12:00 PM

Default 2nd, DIY shouldn't take that long at all

The plugs are really easy, you just unplug the 8 coils on either cylindar bank and twist and pull them up, the plug will be down below so you just need a plug wrench with an extension to get them out. The plugs for our cars come pre set for gap so you can just put them in, make sure you turn them in by hand first before tightening them down with the ratchet, they don't have to be ultra tight so don't go crazy, just tight plus maybe a quarter turn.

As far as the oil goes, its pretty simple, especially with where our oil filter is on top of the engine. alipor is right though, do it in the morning after it's been sitting, that way all the oil will have dripped down into the pan. When I get home tonight I'll see if i can get some diagrams for you off of alldata for ya if you want them.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I'd really appreciate that!! thanks, i think i'll DIM. Can you elaborate on "plug wrench w/

extension though?"

I didn't see that in s4for5's thread.

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/367060.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/367060.phtml</a>
Old 11-08-2006, 12:20 PM

Default Re: I'd really appreciate that!! thanks, i think i'll DIM. Can you elaborate on "plug wrench w/

sure, no prob, a spark plug wrench is basically just a deep socket the size of the spark plug used to install and remove, the difference is that it has a rubber gasket inside of it to grab the plug so you can lift it out of the openning where it sits. They usually take a 3/8" drive ratchet and you'll need an extension, 6" should do it so that you can reach down in there.

<a href="http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/pricing/maintenance_tools.htm"> Spark plug removal tools </a>
Old 11-08-2006, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Awesome. So my friend's done it on the A4, he has the tools apparently. Have you done your own oil

?

I figure the oil extractor is okay for the mid-interval changes I do every 5k, then I'll do a real change every 10k. Thoughts on the extractor?
Old 11-08-2006, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Audiguy82, ^^ was meant as a reply to you.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Awesome. So my friend's done it on the A4, he has the tools apparently. Have you done your own

as far as the extractor goes... .I'm a much bigger fan of just opening up the drain plug and letting the oil pour out that way, if my memory serves me right the drain plug is pretty much in the middle so if you jacked one corner of the car up you should be able to get to it.

what I do is just jack up the car, drop that plastic sound deadening piece which covers the bottom of the engine (not necessary if you don't want to put it back... i never do) and then just open up the drain plug on the oil pan and let it pour out. that way if there is any debris in the oil or whatever it'll come out which won't happen with the extractor.

That's my take on it but i'm really picky like that, the extractor is a little easier and faster since you never have to jack the car up and all, it's your call.

p.s-- my name is Jon by the way
Old 11-08-2006, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Thanks Jon. I think I'll go this route:

<a href="http://www.yachtsee.com/pelaoilextractor.htm">http://www.yachtsee.com/pelaoilextractor.htm</a>

They have a 14 liter one too...so you can extract it all in one go.

I'm asking Ruknd if you can see how much you've extracted on the bigger one, since it appears you may not be able to.

Quick Reply: Who's changed their spark plugs? DIY or shop? How much time? How much $$?