S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

$1495 for a stasis ecu reflash... they lost their mind

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s4ms4
thanx watchnut i wasnt aware i had that option thanks for the wise input
Nor were you aware of the options your car came with apparently
Old 08-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

correct
Old 08-18-2010, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by m444
It is amazing the number of people willing to pay close to $2000 for an exhaust system that gives very little HP benefit, but balk at $1495 for more substantial HP benefit. The dollars per HP improvement of an ECU at $1500 is still better than any other aftermarket mods, currently offered.
Well put! Almost like someone willing to pay $4k for a piggy back and not willing to fork over a few hundred to get it dyno'd and see what power is really there.

This has inspired me to make a new thread about ECU tunes in general (and hopefully have a more constructive conversation).

Stay tuned!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

It is amazing the number of people willing to pay close to $2000 for an exhaust system that gives very little HP benefit, but balk at $1495 for more substantial HP benefit. The dollars per HP improvement of an ECU at $1500 is still better than any other aftermarket mods, currently offered.
agree completely!

I'd say 410 hp for $1500 is worth it. maybe not enough to beat enough an M3, but once they release the smaller pulley things will get really interesting. wondering how much a pulley could possibly cost. I could probably machine one myself.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MadMadS4
agree completely!

I'd say 410 hp for $1500 is worth it. maybe not enough to beat enough an M3, but once they release the smaller pulley things will get really interesting. wondering how much a pulley could possibly cost. I could probably machine one myself.
Aren't people estimating 370 to 380 at the crank? So $1500 for 30 crank HP (maybe 40)? Doesn't sound worth it in my opinion. I'd rather wait for APR or GIAC.

It better up the Torque a hell of a lot more at $1500!

My B8A4 was chipped for only $600 with 3 programs and at 91 octane it gave about 25hp but almost 80 tq.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Exhaust has more to do with "sound" over perfromance. The main performance you get from an exhaust comes from deleting the cats.

I would rather pay $1500 for a nice sounding exhaust that I take enjoyment from hearing every time I drive even though it may only give me 10hp.

If the difference from this $1500 tune (over the exhausts 10hp gain) is only about 20 to 30 crank HP... well ... my butt dyno may not actually "feel" that difference but I will surely hear my exhaust.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Look at it another way...when ordering the car, you check a box for $1000 for softer leather, you check a box for $2500 for navigation (tell me thats not mostly profit). Let's say there was another box called "Engine Upgrade" which gave 30hp extra at the crank for $1500. I think many customers would check this box. So relative to everything else in the car, I'd say it's priced appropriately.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by M3 Montreal
Exhaust has more to do with "sound" over perfromance. The main performance you get from an exhaust comes from deleting the cats.

I would rather pay $1500 for a nice sounding exhaust that I take enjoyment from hearing every time I drive even though it may only give me 10hp.

If the difference from this $1500 tune (over the exhausts 10hp gain) is only about 20 to 30 crank HP... well ... my butt dyno may not actually "feel" that difference but I will surely hear my exhaust.
+1. I didn't buy my exhaust for power. When I purchased it I was shopping entirely on sound.

It's also quite a bit lighter than stock... and with a proper chip/tune there should be decent gains. Even if it doesn't gain any HP at all, it still makes the car sound like it should, which is important to me.

People who think dropping $2k on an exhaust isn't worth it, should probably stay away from aftermarket rims.

Now, if you drop $2k on a chip that's only purpose is to MAKE MORE POWER and it really doesn't make that much, then I would say that's a waste of money. So would I spend $2k just to get 30hp? Maybe... would I rather spend $1k and get 60-100hp? Yes... for sure. Would I be pissed if I spent $4k and didn't get any HP? You bet.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tgdA4
Look at it another way...when ordering the car, you check a box for $1000 for softer leather, you check a box for $2500 for navigation (tell me thats not mostly profit). Let's say there was another box called "Engine Upgrade" which gave 30hp extra at the crank for $1500. I think many customers would check this box. So relative to everything else in the car, I'd say it's priced appropriately.
Well put! How quickly we all forget that just a few factory options adds on thousands of dollars.

I am very interested in the ECU upgrade and am excited that it will include a warranty, although from stasis and not audi.

I do have one question that has already been brought up in this discussion. We all know that our cars are grossly underated in terms of power. It has been demonstrated over and over again that the B8S4 puts out 360-380hp at the crank. Now will the ECU upgrade only increase crank hp to 410? Will I even feel a difference in the power? I guess we'll have to wait for the dyno charts. If the increase is really only 30hp, I think It would better suit me to change out the exhaust, gain 10hp, and finally give my car the sound that she deserves. Love my S4, but her voice needs more soul. 370-390hp with a great sound will do it for me any day over 410 with no grunt.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Has Stasis made any claims to how much HP you're supposed to gain from their ECU?

Also, since this is my first car I've had that's worth getting an ECU for, do the tuners tune the chip to your specific setup? For instance, will they take in consideration the fact that I have an intake and exhaust and flash it differently than someone who doesn't have those aftermarket parts?

Quick Reply: $1495 for a stasis ecu reflash... they lost their mind