S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

$21k in damage to my 2010 S4 :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $21k in damage to my 2010 S4 :(

So I walked into my local garage in NYC last week and was told there was an incident with my car overnight......it's a small garage that is usually stuffed with cars, so I couldn't imagine what kind of damage could happen, but apparently one of the valets was moving cars around (as is typical in NYC garages) and was moving a big SUV when he thought it was in park and got out only to learn that it was actually in reverse and started rolling back, so he jumped back in the SUV and tried to quickly press the brake but instead pressed the gas, which resulted in the big SUV accelerating into my car which then slammed into a car behind me. Or so I'm told. Bummer indeed. Original estimate was over $21k in damage and am told it will be 3 weeks to repair. A few crappy iphone pics for your viewing pleasure.....
Attached Images    
Old 02-21-2012, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be seriously pissed, and they need to reimburse you for dimisished value, since the car is now depreciated since it was wrecked.

I'd also have it checked over VERY carefully, as I would be shocked by seeing the rear damage and buckled trunk if there was not frame damage - in which case I would push to have it totalled.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
I'd be seriously pissed, and they need to reimburse you for dimisished value, since the car is now depreciated since it was wrecked.

I'd also have it checked over VERY carefully, as I would be shocked by seeing the rear damage and buckled trunk if there was not frame damage - in which case I would push to have it totalled.
x2! Sorry about your luck...
Old 02-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy

Thankfully the guy that caused the damage wasn't working when I arrived, but since the initial shock and disappointment, I've come to terms with the fact there's nothing I can do except to get it fixed and move on. Needless to say, I'm already looking at a trade-in on a 2013.

And while I have no bodyshop experience, I did ask about frame damage and was told the car has a unibody and that it was ok. I figure the car was worth $40k+ before the accident, so doubt I could get it totalled. The shop is Audi certified and they recently repaired a R8, so have faith I'm in good hands.

At least I don't have to worry about brake squeal.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'd echo the diminished value statement made above. There's nothing more frustrating than getting low-balled over and over when trying to sell/trade-in a car due to an accident on the carfax report. Now is the time to get that money back when you're dealing with their insurance company.

Off topic, Primetime's location is awesome!

-Skid
Old 02-21-2012, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

be careful; I'm not sure about NY but in MA you cannot make a diminished value claim if you claimed against your insurance, only if you go against theirs. You should definitely go for it though.

if it were me I'd take the car and the insurance check and dump it both for one that hasn't been wrecked
Old 02-21-2012, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd be hacked. have it fixed or totaled.

Bruce
Old 02-21-2012, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you decide to trade it in, do so before the Carfax report updates. You will cry over how much less your car will be valued at once the repairs show up on Carfax. I'm by no means telling you to lie about the car but I've learned during trade-in to let them do all the question asking and you do the answering with at little as is needed to satisfy them.

Originally Posted by soljc
Needless to say, I'm already looking at a trade-in on a 2013.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zerinS4
If you decide to trade it in, do so before the Carfax report updates. You will cry over how much less your car will be valued at once the repairs show up on Carfax. I'm by no means telling you to lie about the car but I've learned during trade-in to let them do all the question asking and you do the answering with at little as is needed to satisfy them.
Do you know how and when Carfax updates ? The owner is paying out of pocket instead of submitting through insurance, if that matters.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure how often they update, but it's up to the body shops and insurance to report it. Some do, some don't.

Originally Posted by soljc
Do you know how and when Carfax updates ? The owner is paying out of pocket instead of submitting through insurance, if that matters.

Quick Reply: $21k in damage to my 2010 S4 :(