S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

'11 STi or '11 S4? Any FACTS that would help me decide?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The S4 is a lot of fun to drive. The fun factor is definitely there. To me the defining difference is the civility of it. The S4 definitely isn't as "raw" as some of the other cars, but it offers great handling and gobs of instant torque.

I was very much considering a Evo X MR. My requirements for a car was that it had to be AWD and have forced induction (and "fun"). The Evo X MR definitely met that. But then, I started wanting luxury, fancy technology, and most importantly, a non-cop magnet "sleeper" car (I too am close to 30). And that's exactly what the S4 is to me. I don't get Neons and civics revving at me on stop lights. Cops don't really give me a second look due to lack of boy racer attachments. At first glance, I'm just another sedan on the road. Unless if I choose to gun it that is. And my overall driving experience is far superior. I don't have crap interior. I love the alcantara/leather seats. All the tech I want is there. And I can enjoy driving it without having boy racers bug me. And most importantly, I smile each time I walk up to the car to get in and take it for a spin.

Last edited by PsYkHoTiK; 02-22-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by XTiS4
Any defence to the notion that the S4 will not be fun to drive?
The best defense to this notion is for you to drive one. You will quickly find out the notion is foolish. I test drove an A4 before I left for Afghanistan and it was amazingly fun to drive with only a 2.0 TFSI and no ADS or sport rear differential. Go test drive an S4 and you will be pleasantly surprised. Also, its hard to top Audi luxury these days.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would buy a Subaru STi + Fiat 500 for the price of an S4.
Use the Fiat as a commuter and the STi as a weekend fun car.
Of course, I'm not being serious...
Old 02-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Luongo
I would buy a Subaru STi + Fiat 500 for the price of an S4.
Use the Fiat as a commuter and the STi as a weekend fun car.
Of course, I'm not being serious...
Luongo....hockey fan?
Old 02-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PsYkHoTiK
The S4 is a lot of fun to drive. The fun factor is definitely there. To me the defining difference is the civility of it. The S4 definitely isn't as "raw" as some of the other cars, but it offers great handling and gobs of instant torque.

I was very much considering a Evo X MR. My requirements for a car was that it had to be AWD and have forced induction (and "fun"). The Evo X MR definitely met that. But then, I started wanting luxury, fancy technology, and most importantly, a non-cop magnet "sleeper" car (I too am close to 30). And that's exactly what the S4 is to me. I don't get Neons and civics revving at me on stop lights. Cops don't really give me a second look due to lack of boy racer attachments. At first glance, I'm just another sedan on the road. Unless if I choose to gun it that is. And my overall driving experience is far superior. I don't have crap interior. I love the alcantara/leather seats. All the tech I want is there. And I can enjoy driving it without having boy racers bug me. And most importantly, I smile each time I walk up to the car to get in and take it for a spin.
It is helpful to hear from those who considered similar cars to what I'm considering. You're right, we want performance that doesn't scream "Look at me, I haz performance!" The bottom line is that we want the power of a gladiator but the comfort of a king.

I think I've made my decision without even driving the cars.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I debated these two cars as well (STI and S4). In my 20s, I think I would have gotten the STI. Now in my 30s (with wife and kids), the S4 interior and ride were far, far better, so that sealed the deal for me. A friend here got an '11 STI a few months before I got my '11 S4. The STI drives nice, but he complained about marks on the door, NAV being just ok, etc. If you're going to spend any amount of time in the car, there's no question the S4 is more comfortable, and still feels sporty although is more quiet. Also, no question it costs more, potentially a lot more with options.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I owned a 2002 WRX (not an STI) then a BMW 328xi and now a 2011 S4.

I got rid of the BMW becuase it wasn't "fun" and I missed the sheer joy of throwing the Subaru around. The Subaru was (and still pretty much is) an econo-box that goes like stink and handles great. The Audi is definitely a little less fun because you are just draqging a little more car around, but when I get inside I always have a big smile. The fit, finish, tech and luxury are unparalleled and the complete lack of turbo lag is a revelation. If you can afford the S4 and you can only have one car, it's the one to have. Some day when I decide I have enough garage space, an STI is going to make a great #2 car--but definitely #2.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had the same decision on my end. As well as a 11 335iS. The interior of the Audi sold me... The Subie sounds better and prob has more connection to road feel. Audi is comfort+power and luxury and fun when needed
Old 02-22-2011, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I looked at the STi as well... just felt too damn cheap inside. I'm too old for that kinda fun anymore. Hell of a car for the money, although I keep reading/hearing that the new WRX is the better way to go anyhow. (if you're going Subaru)
Old 02-22-2011, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by XTiS4
Update from STI forum:

The general advice from STI owners is that the STI will be more fun to drive, while lacking in luxury and comfort....oh, and that it will cost $16k less. haha.

Any defence to the notion that the S4 will not be fun to drive?
Another +1 to have you drive both and compare. Only you know what you want, like, or prefer. If you want to just sit around and speculate and spreadsheet compare, here's some more data:

http://www.fastestlaps.com/compariso...udi_s4_b8.html

Just know that the numbers under the lap times for the S4 are Audi's numbers and the real world figures are actually much better than those.

Quick Reply: '11 STi or '11 S4? Any FACTS that would help me decide?