S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

'11 STi or '11 S4? Any FACTS that would help me decide?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You run the risk of regret getting the STi, while the S4 is a sure thing. It's worth the extra money, IMO.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ckmetz
So I owned a 2002 WRX (not an STI) then a BMW 328xi and now a 2011 S4.

I got rid of the BMW becuase it wasn't "fun" and I missed the sheer joy of throwing the Subaru around. The Subaru was (and still pretty much is) an econo-box that goes like stink and handles great. The Audi is definitely a little less fun because you are just draqging a little more car around, but when I get inside I always have a big smile. The fit, finish, tech and luxury are unparalleled and the complete lack of turbo lag is a revelation. If you can afford the S4 and you can only have one car, it's the one to have. Some day when I decide I have enough garage space, an STI is going to make a great #2 car--but definitely #2.
Well, I already know what my #2 car will be and it's not an STI, lol. I won't get the #2 car until we build our new house in a couple of years. My buddy had a Z06 and I drove it a few times, so I'm pretty much set on that as a "fun" car.

But the more I think about it, the S4 is looking like #1. As others said, I'll have to drive to be sure, but I don't think I can sit in an Audi and not love it.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

If your goal is to make uber power and not use a lot of $$ to do it, then get the STi or better yet an Evo.

Or if you're becoming an old man like me and a decent amount of power would keep you happy, get the S4.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

OOOOOOOOOORRRR, I'm sure many of you have seen this? The Tesla Model S....I might wait for it to come out. Looks pretty amazing.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models

all electric, 300 miles on a charge, 0-60mph in 5.6 sec, seats 5 adults AND 2 kids (total of 7 passengers at once), interior looks pretty nice.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So, you're looking for FACTS to help you decide??

The only "facts" are the measured dimensions and retail prices of the 2 vehicles.

Beyond that, we're really discussing impressions, aren't we? (Even when instrumented testing is involved - what instruments, who's driving, what conditions, etc. etc.)

My impression is that the S4 is much more refined and comfortable, as well as being faster stock-to-stock.

My impression is that the STI is much less comfortable, louder, more extroverted and not as refined.

Only you really know which of those "profiles" you want your next car to fit.

Last edited by ZCD2.7T; 02-23-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just came from a 08 STI and the one thing that really bothered me aside from the absolutely ****ty radio was the lack of torque. It seemed alot slower then my 2011 S4. I know it's the whole turbo versus super charging debate but man it felt like there was nothing until 3500 rpm. The inteior was very cheap and the paint was terrible. It was a fun car to wring out though. I'm about to turn 40 and I think that has alot to do with my opinions. I guess I just got tired of everyone asking where my rainbow sticker was and if I was a member of the 2 fast 2 furrious crew. My S4 is pure quality and I've had no regrets. I know this is a little one sided but hope it helps.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Banned

FACT: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
So, you're looking for FACTS to help you decide??

The only "facts" are the measured dimensions and retails prices of the 2 vehicles.

Beyond that, we're really discussing impressions, aren't we? (Even when instrumented testing is involved - what instruments, who's driving, what conditions, etc. etc.)
I see where your logic stems from, as I probably worded it in a misleading way, but I was originally looking for experiences based on the reliability of each vehicle, or lack thereof, and/or things about the way the car is made or the quality of the build that might be useful in reaching my decision.

As in, "I got my S4 and a week later the transmission had to be replaced," or, "I've had my S4 for 6 months, and it's been in the shop for most of that time." Things like that. However, the answers (read: impressions) I have been getting are useful too.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
FACT: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
Bob, I presume? If this was a contest, and each contestant was scored on his or her response, you would have won with a score of 100/100.

New question: Which bear is best?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by skiracerblah
Or if you're maturing gracefully and acquiring a taste for the finer things like me and a decent amount of power would keep you happy, get the S4.
Fixed.

Quick Reply: '11 STi or '11 S4? Any FACTS that would help me decide?