S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

17" winter rim update

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
Default 17" winter rim update

Last year, Gary from Tire Rack posted a number of 17" rims that TR had test fitted with success. The wheel weights that TR used to make the 17" rims fit (clear the front calipers) are low-profile (3.5 mm high) and in most cases that meant 1.5 mm or less clearance between the wheel weights and calipers. Due to the EPA's ban on lead wheel weights, TR has been unable to source non-lead weights that are as equally low profile. For us Canadians, TR can ship non-balanced wheels and we could get the balancing done locally, however, this would assume that your local shop uses or could source the same weights that TR used, and that the same lead ban would not come into effect here.

while I prefer the higher sidewall of 17" rims, it seems that there are too many unknowns at this point, so I will go with 225/45/18s.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the update...getting about time to make my winter wheel decision also.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Are the calipers on the S4 bigger than the S5?

We had a number of S5's up here in Canada fit with 17" RS4 replicas without any issues.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

frankly, why are you F***n around with 17 winter tires? Just run 18's.

Bruce
Old 09-17-2010, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm with Bruce. I just picked up a set of winters in the stock 18" size. I understand the concept of a narrower tire but not convinced this really applies to a vehicle (as much) that rides so low to the ground. In a suv with 8 inches of ground clearance that is plowing parking lots with 2 feet of snow makes sense. Our cars ride so low to the ground I don't think a narrower, higher sidewalk tire in a 17" size will make much difference in that kinda of snow.

If u siding have to consider caliper clearance, lead weights, low profile weights, etc I'd say go for it.

To me the benefits don't out weigh the potential complications.

Not to mention the vehicle was designed to run a bigger tire and I'm sure there are performance shortfalls and most likely giving up a level of safety with the smaller tire.

Just my thoughts.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Why 17"

I just ordered a pair of these 17" wheels for the S4: Hartmann HRS6 - 172 HC 17"

Looks like the fit is going to be really close. I agree that the 17" or these wheels in general are not going to look good at all. However it seems they don't make 'real snow tires' in the 18" S4 size. The majority of the 18" snows are "performance winter tires."

I need real snow tires, as we spend the winters driving back/forth to Vermont every weekend, for snowboarding.

Will post some pics when they arrive to show brake clearance.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by neosomatic
I just ordered a pair of these 17" wheels for the S4: Hartmann HRS6 - 172 HC 17"

Looks like the fit is going to be really close. I agree that the 17" or these wheels in general are not going to look good at all. However it seems they don't make 'real snow tires' in the 18" S4 size. The majority of the 18" snows are "performance winter tires."

I need real snow tires, as we spend the winters driving back/forth to Vermont every weekend, for snowboarding.

Will post some pics when they arrive to show brake clearance.
Very solid point. I think the only non performance winters with strong credibility are the Bridgestone WS-60's. I heard the Michelin X-ice are not being manufactured until next year.

In Canada there might be some 18's From Nokian??? Just a guess.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by redrocker55
Very solid point. I think the only non performance winters with strong credibility are the Bridgestone WS-60's. I heard the Michelin X-ice are not being manufactured until next year.

In Canada there might be some 18's From Nokian??? Just a guess.
Yes, ran Nokain RSI's last year on a Jetta TDI. Watched SUVs/Subaru have issues and we just kept going. (Of course getting going sometimes was an issue)

Considering trying out the X-ice this year. Much cheaper and easier to get in the States.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by redrocker55
I ran X-Ice2's last winter which are excellent winter tires. Why would they not be making them this year?

And to the earlier poster questioning why anyone would be %&*!!ing around with 17" wheels on their S4, I completely agree.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by rktskicar
frankly, why are you F***n around with 17 winter tires? Just run 18's.

Bruce
Do you know what -40 feels like? How much compliance do shocks/struts have at that temperature? None. At that temperature the extra sidewall is nice because the tire provides the give that the suspension can't. Just b/c 18" winter tires work well in your area doesn't mean they work well for everyone.

Quick Reply: 17" winter rim update