S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

17" winter rim update

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sworksone
I ran X-Ice2's last winter which are excellent winter tires. Why would they not be making them this year?

And to the earlier poster questioning why anyone would be %&*!!ing around with 17" wheels on their S4, I completely agree.
They ARE making the X-ice this year...just not in the 18" size for our S4's...245/40 18. Sorry to confuse.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by neosomatic
I just ordered a pair of these 17" wheels for the S4: Hartmann HRS6 - 172 HC 17"

Looks like the fit is going to be really close. I agree that the 17" or these wheels in general are not going to look good at all. However it seems they don't make 'real snow tires' in the 18" S4 size. The majority of the 18" snows are "performance winter tires."

I need real snow tires, as we spend the winters driving back/forth to Vermont every weekend, for snowboarding.

Will post some pics when they arrive to show brake clearance.
I grew up in New England, went to school in upstate NY, and am an avid skier; I can attest to the crazy winters. However, you will have more dry road winter days than snow covered winter days. Going with snows will compromise some grip and handling on the dry while going with performance winters will compromise some grip and handling in the snow. In my opinion, unless you are in the Yukon, your driveway is 400 yards long and covered in snow/ice the whole winter, or you live in a neigborhood that is seldom plowed and has a buildup of snow/ice over the winter, then buying snows is the wrong choice 75% of the time.

Tire Rack did a good, basic video on the topic:
http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index...=50&tab=winter

Most of the time on the drive up route 100, your road is going to be dry or wet, but not covered in several inches of snow. IMO its better to have a tire that will allow me to stop faster and turn more confidently in those conditions than one that will allow me to a small increase on the few days a year when the conditions are bad.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MattPec
I grew up in New England, went to school in upstate NY, and am an avid skier; I can attest to the crazy winters. However, you will have more dry road winter days than snow covered winter days. Going with snows will compromise some grip and handling on the dry while going with performance winters will compromise some grip and handling in the snow. In my opinion, unless you are in the Yukon, your driveway is 400 yards long and covered in snow/ice the whole winter, or you live in a neigborhood that is seldom plowed and has a buildup of snow/ice over the winter, then buying snows is the wrong choice 75% of the time.

Most of the time on the drive up route 100, your road is going to be dry or wet, but not covered in several inches of snow. IMO its better to have a tire that will allow me to stop faster and turn more confidently in those conditions than one that will allow me to a small increase on the few days a year when the conditions are bad.
I disagree, snow is 10% of the problem. Temperature is the issue, under 7C or 40F your summer and or all seasons will not stop or steer anywhere near a winter tire.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just one time in icy winter conditions and you need to make that emergency stop or park on a slight grade hill makes winter tires worth every penny. The traction upgrade for icy conditions far outwieghts the loss in dry conditions....a normal person would not even notice the traction loss in dry conditions unless driven on a track. Just my thoughts...
Old 09-17-2010, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

you can just run higher aspect ratio on 18's if you want sidewall. Simple calculation. I run higher sidewall on 18's.

And yes, I have driven in -50 F before (Alaska), not on this car though.

Bruce
Old 09-17-2010, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by seinsmeld13
I disagree, snow is 10% of the problem. Temperature is the issue, under 7C or 40F your summer and or all seasons will not stop or steer anywhere near a winter tire.
You are right....!
Old 09-18-2010, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by rktskicar
you can just run higher aspect ratio on 18's if you want sidewall. Simple calculation. I run higher sidewall on 18's.

And yes, I have driven in -50 F before (Alaska), not on this car though.

Bruce
Let me do the math for you. 255/40/18 has a sidewall height of 4.0" and the 245/40 has a sidewall height of 3.9". You also have 1.2% speedometer error.

By going with 225/50/17, the sidewall height is 4.4" vs 3.9" which is a 1/2" of extra sidewall. Additionally, speedo error is just 0.6%. Try as you might you will neither convince me that 18" winters are a better technical solution to 17" tires or that high performance all-season tires are an acceptable substitute to full winter tires.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by seinsmeld13
Check my post again. I never said anything about running SUMMER performance tires in the winter. I'm talking about WINTER performance vs. full blown studless ice/snow tires. Winter performance tires are rated for low winter temps and are WAY better than any all-season tire. They will give superior grip on dry and wet roads in winter temps vs. a straight snow tire. The best all-season tire is worse than the worst winter performance tire, nobody is arguing that. And keeping summer tires on in the winter is like driving on hockey pucks. But using a snow tire for the entire winter when you will spend 80% of the time on dry or wet roads (not snow/ice), and you're driving on the wrong tire 80% of the time. When it snows or its icy the other 20%, you won't be quite as good as if you had a snow/ice tire on, but you'll be way better than any other kind of tire and you should be driving more cautiously in those conditions anyway.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rfogleman
....a normal person would not even notice the traction loss in dry conditions unless driven on a track. Just my thoughts...
Normal people drive Camrys with all-season tires. You bought a performance car becuase you CAN tell the difference...

I'm not saying everyone is in this position, and if you do have to park on snowy hills and drive on poorly plowed neighborhood roads often, then snows might make more sense. I was mostly responding to the notion that frequent drives to VT ski areas does NOT require dedicated snows. VT has one of the best winter road crews in the Northeast. More often than not the roads will be dry or wet.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Check my post again. I never said anything about running SUMMER performance tires in the winter. I'm talking about WINTER performance vs. full blown studless ice/snow tires. Winter performance tires are rated for low winter temps and are WAY better than any all-season tire.

Winter tires and studless ice/snow tires are the same, and you never said anything in your previous post about all season tires. but you did mention that you didn't think it was worth it to run winter tires during the season...and being that our cars come stock with performance tires...one could only assume that you thought it best to run those tires all year. Yes...you are right...we should use caution when driving in extreme winter conditions...but winter tires will help us, when someone like you can not get their car stopped at a red light due to icy conditions because you did not use winter tires.

Quick Reply: 17" winter rim update