S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

17" winter rim update

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

17" tire will be narrower than the 18" which is preferable for traction in snow. My GTI and TT are both 18" summer, however, I run them both with 16" winters. TT is a beast in the snow but looks ugly with the black steel rims. I will be running 18" on the S4 for the winter. Not worth the hastle looking for the right 17" rim. The 17" is also cheaper which is also another factor.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rfogleman
Winter tires and studless ice/snow tires are the same
Completely false. They have different compounds and speed ratings.

Here is the definition of each category per TireRack:

Performance Winter / Snow
You want enhanced dry road handling from your winter / snow tires and are willing to trade some snow and ice traction to get it.

Meeting severe snow service requirements and branded with the "mountain/snowflake" symbol, these low profile, H- or V-speed rated tires are designed to suit winter driving on European highways. They are available in many of the low profile sizes used as Original Equipment on sporty imported and domestic cars.

Studless Ice and Snow
You want to maximize snow and ice traction from your winter / snow tires without the inconvenience of using winter tire studs.

Meeting severe snow service requirements and branded with the "mountain/snowflake" symbol, these Q-speed rated tires feature the latest in tread compound technology to provide winter traction without the inconvenience of tire studs. They trade a little handling for excellent ice and snow traction.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/snows.jsp

and you never said anything in your previous post about all season tires.
You're right - others assumed I was saying that and started flame throwing becuase they didn't read my post or the one I was responding to.

I was responding to neosomatic's comment - "However it seems they don't make 'real snow tires' in the 18" S4 size. The majority of the 18" snows are "performance winter tires."

Performance winter tires are a legitimate winter tire choice and perform exceptionally well in winter temps, in many cases stopping faster on dry/wet roads than snows. Again, IN WINTER TEMPS.

...but winter tires will help us, when someone like you can not get their car stopped at a red light due to icy conditions because you did not use winter tires.
Again, I never said not to use a tire designed for winter. Winter performance tires WILL help you stop in winter conditions. Will they be as good as a studless ice/snow in the worst winter weather...probably not. Will they be BETTER than studless ice/snow when driving at speed on dry or wet roads in very cold winter temps...YES.

In the end, we're saying the same thing - run a proper winter tire in regions where the temps are cold and the weather is bad. But please recognize the difference between the two types of WINTER tires and the fact that they both have their place.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MattPec
Completely false. They have different compounds and speed ratings.

Here is the definition of each category per TireRack:

Performance Winter / Snow
You want enhanced dry road handling from your winter / snow tires and are willing to trade some snow and ice traction to get it.

Meeting severe snow service requirements and branded with the "mountain/snowflake" symbol, these low profile, H- or V-speed rated tires are designed to suit winter driving on European highways. They are available in many of the low profile sizes used as Original Equipment on sporty imported and domestic cars.

Studless Ice and Snow
You want to maximize snow and ice traction from your winter / snow tires without the inconvenience of using winter tire studs.

Meeting severe snow service requirements and branded with the "mountain/snowflake" symbol, these Q-speed rated tires feature the latest in tread compound technology to provide winter traction without the inconvenience of tire studs. They trade a little handling for excellent ice and snow traction.
The only difference is the speed rating which requires the tire to be built in a way to meet the speed rating requirements....they both have the "mountain/snowflake" symbol. In order to have that symbol branded on the tire....they have to meet or exceed the requirements of that symbol. So...both types of tires meet the same requirements and are branded with the "mountain/snowflake" symbol...the only difference is the speed rating and how the manufacturers label their tire whether it be "winter/snow" or "studless ice and snow"....so...no...I was not wrong...any tire with the "mountain/snowfake" symbol meet or exceed the same requirments....I just did not get into the details.

Last edited by rfogleman; 09-19-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Elbrus I03

• Size: 18x8, +35mm Offset
• Price: $139 (each)
• Est. Availability: In Stock
• Weight: 25.6lbs.

$1200 with Bridgestone Blizzak WS60
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Went with these wrapped with Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero Serie II

These don't look too bad and seem easy to clean. Cheap at $134 per rim. I'm happy with them as a winter set-up. Just arrived yesterday and ready for mid-November.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Went with these wrapped with Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero Serie II

I'll try this again... as an attached pdf... not the most computer savvy obviously!! These don't look too bad and seem easy to clean. Cheap at $134 per rim. I'm happy with them as a winter set-up. Just arrived yesterday and ready for mid-November.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
WheelsOnVehicle.pdf (51.7 KB, 156 views)
Old 09-20-2010, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yes they both earn the symbol, but the studless tire is a different compound. It IS better. They both obviously "meet" the requirenments- one EXCEEDS far more than the other.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I currently live in California where we use the same tires all year around. However, next year, I'll be moving to Snoqualmie Ridge (25-30 minutes east of Seattle) and am willing to bet that the summer tires I currently have won't suffice in the wintertime.

I'm just curious, because I'm ignorant of the winter tire "issue." When I usually see people on here talking about their "winter" tires, they're almost always 17s or 18s. Do 19" all-seasons not exist? I really like my rims and don't want to have to lose them for part of the year.

Someone please educate me!
Old 09-20-2010, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I found the lesser Blizzak (LM-##) to be pretty useless on snow/ice, especially on side streets where the roads were not treated with salt and sand.

I might be renting a house in Tahoe for the winter and they are really serious about road safety up there. You aren't allowed past a certain point unless you have snow chains. However, if you have AWD and studless ice-snow tires (like the Blizzak WS60) you are permitted without chains.

They do make 19" all season tires. Get Michelin Pilot Sports.

For those who are replacing their stock tires because they are worn out (about 20k miles), I highly recommend Dunlop Direzza. It's my favorite tire, even over the Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R. I've tested all of these at the track extensively, and I feel the Direzza does better in the rain and under extreme heat (like at a track) than a Potenza.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MattPec
I grew up in New England, went to school in upstate NY, and am an avid skier; I can attest to the crazy winters. However, you will have more dry road winter days than snow covered winter days. Going with snows will compromise some grip and handling on the dry while going with performance winters will compromise some grip and handling in the snow. In my opinion, unless you are in the Yukon, your driveway is 400 yards long and covered in snow/ice the whole winter, or you live in a neigborhood that is seldom plowed and has a buildup of snow/ice over the winter, then buying snows is the wrong choice 75% of the time.

Tire Rack did a good, basic video on the topic:
http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index...=50&tab=winter

Most of the time on the drive up route 100, your road is going to be dry or wet, but not covered in several inches of snow. IMO its better to have a tire that will allow me to stop faster and turn more confidently in those conditions than one that will allow me to a small increase on the few days a year when the conditions are bad.
I think this is good advice. Drove in some nasty conditions on dulop 3ds 18/245/40 and was just fine. When the roads cleared, i didnt feel cursed with with crappy handling.

When the winters are long...its a tough choice. I prefer not to feel to tempted to put winters on too late or take off them off too early because i hate how they look and handle. Thats when you get in the most trouble.

Quick Reply: 17" winter rim update