S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

18s or 19s on the 2010 S4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 18s or 19s on the 2010 S4?

Any thoughts or recommendations as far as going with the 18" vs. 19" wheels on the 2010 S4?

I live in the Northeast, where the roads and weather are making the idea of 19" wheels questionable (at least for me). Aside from the pure performance aspects, any advice on the best choice for comfort, safety, durability, etc.?

PS: I'd certainly swap to winter tires during the winter, but I'd prefer to not purchase a 2nd set of wheels. I'm curious about the "best" wheel size for year-round use. Those of you with the B8, especially in bad weather or bad road areas, what are you experiencing?
Old 01-31-2010, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the Northeast as well, and opted for the 18s for a couple of reasons:
1. The roads are crappy here, as is the weather in the winter. Potholes galore.
2. I'm not crazy about the styling of the Audi 19s. To me, each of the spokes on the 19" wheels looks like the business end of a vegetable peeler. If I do ultimately decide I want 19" wheels on the car, I'll go aftermarket, and get something from VMR or elsewhere.

I don't have my car yet....so can't comment further.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I hate the tri spoke 19s so I stuck with the 18s.

My plan is burn the stock tires this summer on the track and the 18s will turn into my winter rims. Then get a new set of 19s with tires for next summer.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Smith837
Any thoughts or recommendations as far as going with the 18" vs. 19" wheels on the 2010 S4?

I live in the Northeast, where the roads and weather are making the idea of 19" wheels questionable (at least for me). Aside from the pure performance aspects, any advice on the best choice for comfort, safety, durability, etc.?

PS: I'd certainly swap to winter tires during the winter, but I'd prefer to not purchase a 2nd set of wheels. I'm curious about the "best" wheel size for year-round use. Those of you with the B8, especially in bad weather or bad road areas, what are you experiencing?
Welcome to the forum.

I went with 18's. For same reasons as already mentioned. I have 19's on my M3 which I only drive in the summer but for winter or all season driving I think you get a more comfortable ride on 18's and your tires will last longer. It doesn't seem like it was too long ago that 18's were the option wheels even on sports cars (my 2002 3 series had 16's regular and I went for the sports package which upgraded the wheels to 17's!). When it comes time to replace your tires you are also likely to have more options with 18's and it will be less expensive.

As far as appearance is concerned this is really a personal decision. I really like the Canadian model 18's.
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2010, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm in Houston & there's pretty much no such thing as winter to consider so looks were the main parameter. I think the 19's look better from a "gap" perspective but dropping the car an inch is always an option. I chose the 18" because I liked them and the appearance of the standard 19" rims didn't do anything for me...though the 18's are a bitch to clean.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have the tri spoke 19's (love them, personally...) and bought an extra set of 18's for the winter. vmr 710's matte black. Look amazing. I can't speak highly enough about the dunlop winter sports. So sticky and feel amazing.

you don't want to swap tires on and off the same rims season to season, it screws up the tire.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm inclined to agree that the 18's are the better choice for bad weather/roads, and as a year-round option. (I also think the 18's look better than the current 19's..."the business end of a vegetable peeler" is a hilarious and apt description, WatchNut!)

That said, the plot thickens: I'm interested in the Prestige model (in order to get the auto-dimming interior/exterior mirrors and the intelligent key). As I'm sure many of you know, in the US, Audi automatically bumps you up to the 19's with the Prestige. I realize such trade-offs and frustrations are a whole different topic, but if you were in my shoes, what would you do? Seems that in this case, more is more, and less.

While the economical (and smart) thing to do is to get the P+ and load it up, you lose these extras (which should be standard). Going Prestige gives you the option of "downgrading" to 18's, but that just feels wrong (and wasteful) in these times.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by trigoe
I have the tri spoke 19's (love them, personally...) and bought an extra set of 18's for the winter. vmr 710's matte black. Look amazing. I can't speak highly enough about the dunlop winter sports. So sticky and feel amazing.

you don't want to swap tires on and off the same rims season to season, it screws up the tire.
If that's true (not that I'm questioning, just inexperienced in this area), it seems like I might need to consider a 2nd set of wheels for winter. This might change things in terms of P+ vs. Prestige. Can others confirm? My dealer suggested that just swapping the tires would be AOK (and that buying additional rims was unnecessary). Realize that he's trying to get me into a car, so perhaps he is downplaying the need of the additional expense?
Old 01-31-2010, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm inclined to agree that the 18's are the better choice for bad weather/roads, and as a year-round option. (I also think the 18's look better than the current 19's..."the business end of a vegetable peeler" is a hilarious and apt description, WatchNut!)

That said, the plot thickens: I'm interested in the Prestige model (in order to get the auto-dimming interior/exterior mirrors and the intelligent key). As I'm sure many of you know, in the US, Audi automatically bumps you up to the 19's with the Prestige. I realize such trade-offs and frustrations are a whole different topic, but if you were in my shoes, what would you do? Seems that in this case, more is more, and less.

While the economical (and smart) thing to do is to get the P+ and load it up, you lose these extras (which should be standard). Going Prestige gives you the option of "downgrading" to 18's, but that just feels wrong (and wasteful) in these times.
There's always the option of taking the Prestige package, buying aftermarket wheels you really like, and selling the Audi wheels. I can't imagine that someone wouldn't buy them at the right price.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by WatchNut
There's always the option of taking the Prestige package, buying aftermarket wheels you really like, and selling the Audi wheels. I can't imagine that someone wouldn't buy them at the right price.
Great suggestion, but I'm planning to lease the car, so I don't think it's an option.

Quick Reply: 18s or 19s on the 2010 S4?