S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

19's and potholes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smith837
Yikes! Sounds like you drive hard (or are just really unlucky). Of course, doesn't really take much in PA & NJ, and NY isn't much better! Best of luck with your 18's. Fingers crossed for my 19's.
Not driving hard, just a lot of back roads, construction areas, and 21K miles a year. Turnpikes are ok but back roads are nasty.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm pretty sure I would get 18's also. Cleveland roads suck ****!

Does anybody know if you can get 18's with the prestige package? I have 17's on my go-kart and bent the rim just a little bit.

As a matter of fact, I'm so concerned, I compiled a spreadsheet to calulate side wall height to campare to my 17's! Looks as if the 19" have about 1/2 inch less sidwall compared to my 17's which I bent all ready. It was a nasty pot hole. didn't see it and only hit it at 30mph, but it chipped my teeth. Ha Ha!
Old 03-23-2010, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just looked at the AudiUSA site which indicates you can get either 18s or 19s and it won't affect price. When I got my car near the end of last year, I believe there was a $900 charge to upgrade to 19s.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

NYC roads are in the worst condition I've ever seen in my 30 years of driving. That's why I got the tire/wheel protection plan. We'll see if I need it and how it works if I do, but with those low profiles and these giant potholes on every street in town, I thought I'd give it a shot.

t
Old 03-24-2010, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by supraman66
I'm pretty sure I would get 18's also. Cleveland roads suck ****!

Does anybody know if you can get 18's with the prestige package? I have 17's on my go-kart and bent the rim just a little bit.

As a matter of fact, I'm so concerned, I compiled a spreadsheet to calulate side wall height to campare to my 17's! Looks as if the 19" have about 1/2 inch less sidwall compared to my 17's which I bent all ready. It was a nasty pot hole. didn't see it and only hit it at 30mph, but it chipped my teeth. Ha Ha!
If you hit a pothole that damaged your 17's, it would've likely damaged any size wheel. Of course, it also depends on how strong the wheel is, the metal, etc.

You CANNOT get 18's with Prestige from the factory. Looked into this extensively. No go. You'd have to get the Prestige with 19's, then depending on whether you lease or buy, either get 18's in addition, or sell the 19's and replace with 18's.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by drrick89
Just looked at the AudiUSA site which indicates you can get either 18s or 19s and it won't affect price. When I got my car near the end of last year, I believe there was a $900 charge to upgrade to 19s.
The Audi Web site is incorrect. I had a post on this issue at one point. Looks like you can configure the Prestige with 18's on the site (for the same price as the package with 19's), BUT this is inaccurate. Prestige ONLY comes with 19's.

I even called Audi USA and escalated the issue with Customer Care, only to learn that the site is broken in this regard and that the factory cannot or will not substitute the 18's for 19's (with the Prestige).

Of course, depending on whether you're leasing or buying, and perhaps more importantly, your relationship with the dealer, maybe the DEALER could hook you up. But Audi USA/corporate, nope.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by trigoe
NYC roads are in the worst condition I've ever seen in my 30 years of driving. That's why I got the tire/wheel protection plan. We'll see if I need it and how it works if I do, but with those low profiles and these giant potholes on every street in town, I thought I'd give it a shot.

t
I'm in the NY metro area as well, not always in the city, but I agree, the roads are VERY, VERY bad. Especially after the record snow we had this winter.

What's the tire/wheel protection plan and how much does it cost? (Assuming it's not included in Audi Care.)
Old 03-24-2010, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Yikes! Sounds like you drive hard (or are just really unlucky). Of course, doesn't really take much in PA & NJ, and NY isn't much better! Best of luck with your 18's. Fingers crossed for my 19's.
I drive like an **** little nerd and yet in the NYC area it seems everything is stacked against having a decent car. They use highway-duty snow plows to rip up the streets (I guess they call it "plow") every time it snows; so right about now there are sections of the FDR drive that are quite literally wall to wall broken pavement and a succession of potholes. You can dodge and swerve all you want but are guaranteed to hit a few. In terms of curb rash, it is a nightmare too. You need to park as tight to the curb as possible or some idiot on a delivery bike or pedi-cab will take yor driver's side mirror off and/or scratch the left flank of your pretty Audi. This pre-occupation with cramming up to the curb makes the risk of rash almost an inevitability. When I visit my daughter in the Berkshires all the car-related stress drains out - life in the Big Apple sucks in so many ways, except the money you can make here that lets you buy a decent car.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I drive like an **** little nerd and yet in the NYC area it seems everything is stacked against having a decent car. They use highway-duty snow plows to rip up the streets (I guess they call it "plow") every time it snows; so right about now there are sections of the FDR drive that are quite literally wall to wall broken pavement and a succession of potholes. You can dodge and swerve all you want but are guaranteed to hit a few. In terms of curb rash, it is a nightmare too. You need to park as tight to the curb as possible or some idiot on a delivery bike or pedi-cab will take yor driver's side mirror off and/or scratch the left flank of your pretty Audi. This pre-occupation with cramming up to the curb makes the risk of rash almost an inevitability. When I visit my daughter in the Berkshires all the car-related stress drains out - life in the Big Apple sucks in so many ways, except the money you can make here that lets you buy a decent car.
Funny, I drive that way too. Live outside the city and rarely drive in (instead I take the train/cabs). That said, the ONLY damage I've had to my vehicle has come from my drives into Manhattan (from potholes and (mostly) parking lot attendants...the worst of all!).
Old 03-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by trigoe

t
Do tell on the tire and wheel plan!

If you hit a pothole that damaged your 17's, it would've likely damaged any size wheel. Of course, it also depends on how strong the wheel is, the metal, etc.

You CANNOT get 18's with Prestige from the factory. Looked into this extensively. No go. You'd have to get the Prestige with 19's, then depending on whether you lease or buy, either get 18's in addition, or sell the 19's and replace with 18's.
I can't beleive that I didn't blow the tire but the crater I hit put a hurting on the inside lip of one wheel. It was a no frills allow wheel, but decent none the less. Given that the sidewall height disipates some of the energey before it bottoms into the wheel, I think the S4 18 would bend, and the 19 would have broke. Of course that is dependent on wheel strenght, but all else being equal. Don't really know, this is just my logic.

What's the tire/wheel protection plan and how much does it cost? (Assuming it's not included in Audi Care.)
Please, any info on cost and provider (audi, dealer, wheel manufacturer) would be appreciated!

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I drive like an **** little nerd and yet in the NYC area it seems everything is stacked against having a decent car.
I drive my go-kart like I stole it! Something tells me that I will change once I get a really nice S4!

Quick Reply: 19's and potholes?