S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2 part question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be sure to post new pics and give my impression of the MTM unit.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by voltrons_head
I think you were talking to me.

I wanted the 20's anyway but figured if I got all seasons I wouldn't have to worry about it and I could use them all year round. Since we don't get too much snow around Philly (I say that as we had the 2nd worst snow storm ever) I thought dedicated winter tires were a waste.

Tonight when I got home I ordered them. I'll post some pics when I have them next week. More importantly I'll give my first impressions of the MTM Cantronic next week as well but that's for another thread.
Dedicated anything is almost never a waste.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rktskicar
To me, snow tires are any tire that can handle snow. M+S (aka all-season) is a snow tire. The other tires are called winter tires (aka snowflake tires) which are for extreme snow/ice.
I don't think many other people would agree with referring to all-seasons as a snow tire.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

When you say it will be close what do you mean? The other option was +25 but the guy from Hartmann said that +40 was the correct one. Like I said, this is the first time I have purchased aftermarket wheels so I'm green to it. Let me know if you think I should be concerned. Thanks man.

Last edited by voltrons_head; 12-22-2009 at 05:13 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by voltrons_head
When you say it will be close what do you mean? The other option was +25 but the guy from Hartmann said that +40 was the correct one. Like I said, this is the first time I have purchased aftermarket wheels so I'm green to it. Let me know if you think I should be concerned. Thanks man.
There is an offset calculator at 1010tires...this should clear things up. It is quite confusing at first, so make sure you go with a good professional opinion before committing.

One last point...even if it doesn't snow a lot...dedicated winters handle low temperatures much better. They stay soft and grippy and generally handle any precipitation much better.

In your situation...why not Michelin PA3s?...they handle just about a good as anything but will keep you out of the ditch if hitting some adverse weather.

Last edited by adbender; 12-22-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I checked out the 1010tires.com calculator but it didn't do too much for me. Thanks though. Anything I can do to learn more is a plus so I'll probably spend a little more time on their site later. Lots of good stuff over there.

The tires I got were on sale and the set was $400 cheaper than the next alternative. I couldn't really find much that would fit the bill in the size that I wanted. 255/30/20

I'm going to call Hartmann back just to confirm the offset question. I'll post some pics up next week once they arrive.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hmmm....snow tires vs. all-season tires...

I'm surprised that some of you are going with All-Seasons in lieu of summer AND winter tires. All-seasons are typically referred to as "no-seasons" as they don't do any one thing particularly well. I think All-Seasons are fine for temperate areas and on commuters, but to put All-Seasons on a performance vehicle? I don't understand that at all.

Sure, a set of all-seasons and AWD will probably get you going and get you around ok, but you may regret your decision once you try to stop on ice. One of the many reasons why snow-tires are so great in snow+ice is the type of compound they use. Summer tires, and many all-seasons, should be avoided in the winter months due to the cold. These tires will turn into hockey pucks (especially summer tires) once the mercury gets below 45 degrees. Not fun, nor safe to drive.

Then summer rolls around and your performance vehicle will lose performance due to you having All-Seasons on. Why would you sacrifice performance on your brand-new performance vehicle?

If you can afford a brand-new S4, then you should be able to afford dedicated winter and summer tires. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nutdotnet
Hmmm....snow tires vs. all-season tires...

I'm surprised that some of you are going with All-Seasons in lieu of summer AND winter tires. All-seasons are typically referred to as "no-seasons" as they don't do any one thing particularly well. I think All-Seasons are fine for temperate areas and on commuters, but to put All-Seasons on a performance vehicle? I don't understand that at all.

Sure, a set of all-seasons and AWD will probably get you going and get you around ok, but you may regret your decision once you try to stop on ice. One of the many reasons why snow-tires are so great in snow+ice is the type of compound they use. Summer tires, and many all-seasons, should be avoided in the winter months due to the cold. These tires will turn into hockey pucks (especially summer tires) once the mercury gets below 45 degrees. Not fun, nor safe to drive.

Then summer rolls around and your performance vehicle will lose performance due to you having All-Seasons on. Why would you sacrifice performance on your brand-new performance vehicle?

If you can afford a brand-new S4, then you should be able to afford dedicated winter and summer tires. Just my 2 cents.
I'm an advocate of winter/summer, but only because I live in Maine. I would use all-seasons in a mid-atlantic climate without thinking twice.

If you can afford a brand-new S4, then you should be able to afford dedicated winter and summer tires.
.. by that logic, I should have an extra $1500 laying around... I hope i find it before Christmas!
Old 12-22-2009, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

here is a good pic to put things in perspective between, all-seasons, summer, and winter tires. This is for an ultra performance all season tire (Pirelli), from a car magazine article. The difference between the wet and dry response of the ultra perf all season is minimal when compared to the summer tire. The winter tire has about a 29% snow traction adavantage over the all season in snow, but the all season has a 200% snow traction advantantage over the summer tire. The wear advantage is 2X to 2.7X for all season.

Summary:
1) Not much diff (2%) between summer tire and ultra perf all-season in wet and dry
2) About 30% better snow traction from winter tire over all season.
3) About 200% better snow traction of all season over summer tire.

Bruce

Old 12-23-2009, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

any updates on MTM?

Quick Reply: 2 part question