S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2011 problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S5nirvana
Hey Bruce, I currently have a 2011 S4.. thx
Sorry, my mistake. I only looked at your name "S5nirvana", so assumed you had an S5.

Bruce
Old 01-18-2011, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tifosi
Maybe it is a matter of Canadian vs. US cars ?
My dealer seemed surprised it was a plastic water pump. They were under the impression that is was going to have the aluminum water pump.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

that is NOT good news...all of us telling the 2011 owners to "rest easy" just got a jolt...
Old 01-18-2011, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IAS5
that is NOT good news...all of us telling the 2011 owners to "rest easy" just got a jolt...
I've said this before, and it's info I got from Audi, not anything I can personally vouch for, so here goes:

The pump design and materials are not what Audi found to be at fault. It was one 3rd party the pumps were sourced from, who was found to be assembling the pump parts in an incorrect order or fashion (the specifics were not clear) such that it was causing the high pressure seal to fail, irregardless of what the pump housing was made from. At the same time this was found, they started to get aluminum housing pumps from another source.

Now, I don't know if this was a bad pump which someone found in the bottom of the part bin, or if they went back to these and thought they were fixed and aren't or perhaps the same 3rd party said it's all good now and sources plastic housings. We ideally need the part number from the bad pump to see what it is though, but that still only gives us a guess.

I had mine pre-emptively replaced at 15,200 miles and it was plastic and never gave me troubles, I just didn't want it to.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
I've said this before, and it's info I got from Audi, not anything I can personally vouch for, so here goes:

The pump design and materials are not what Audi found to be at fault. It was one 3rd party the pumps were sourced from, who was found to be assembling the pump parts in an incorrect order or fashion (the specifics were not clear) such that it was causing the high pressure seal to fail, irregardless of what the pump housing was made from. At the same time this was found, they started to get aluminum housing pumps from another source.

Now, I don't know if this was a bad pump which someone found in the bottom of the part bin, or if they went back to these and thought they were fixed and aren't or perhaps the same 3rd party said it's all good now and sources plastic housings. We ideally need the part number from the bad pump to see what it is though, but that still only gives us a guess.

I had mine pre-emptively replaced at 15,200 miles and it was plastic and never gave me troubles, I just didn't want it to.
I wanted to get a picture of it but by the time I got to the dealership, they said it was gone.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Clutch creaks when hot for me after having a defective clutch replaced (defect meaning it had a warped pressure plate and the pedal clicked all the time making smooth shifting impossible.) Shifting is smooth now but creaking sometimes occurs, more of personal annoyance than anything else mechanically feels like a brand new clutch.

Brakes squeel in cold weather
Old 01-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No major problems on my 2011 except for two very annoying rattles on on each side in the front or dashboard. I can't figure out exactly where there coming from but they are starting to drive me crazy. I'll have audi sort it out at my 5000 mi. service.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Other than my engine blowing up, no other problems with mine..lol
Old 01-22-2011, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ah nein, Gastarbeiter sabotage at Neckarsulm AGAIN?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S4B8
my new 2011 S4 brakes squeak worse than my 2010 S4 - otherwise none to speak of.
i had the plastic WP replaced like a month ago. Then it started making a whistling pitch during idle and brought it in. They changed the metal pump again saying bearing was fuked up. i think it was a bad install maybe? AoA says no new pumps fail. Curious on your story and how the trade in worked out? i too am on my 3rd WP.

Quick Reply: 2011 problems?