S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2011 Quartz Gray / Magma & Black S4 Pics and Initial Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Quartz Gray / Magma & Black S4 Pics and Initial Driving Impressions

I have several pictures that I'll post, but first I need to point out that the first pic with the Ti wheels is obviously not my car (US tags). Unfortunately, I didn't get a pic of mine with the Ti wheels, but this fine Audi S4 owner has the exact color selections that I chose myself.

So first, that pic - notice the weather is a helluva lot nicer too!

Okay, now that you see what one looks like is nice weather, without snow tires and wheels, AND CLEAN; here's my Quartz S4 - full specs in my signature.

So there's the new ride.. I've only driven it about 40 miles, and most of that was doing errands today, but I did get some time to tweak the B&O, mess with the ADS, put my foot in it on the autobahn, etc..

Some initial impressions (Good ones)
- Loving the interior. Pictures just don't do it justice whatsoever. The magma and black nappa blends so well with the aluminum trim. And I'm very happy the center console is aluminum as well, not piano black.

- The Titanium wheels are gorgeous. I don't know why anyone would skip out on the Ti rims. They are aggressive, yet beautiful, and will be much easier to keep clean than the potato peelers. I highly recommend them.

- It's more roomy in the front than my '08 335i Sedan. I don't feel nearly as cramped - I'm 6'2" and ~200lbs. The seats are comfortable, with great side bolstering, and the heated seats work pretty well; although I too wish they got a bit warmer. My wife's 530xi wagon's seat-heaters are wonderful.

- The B&O sounds pretty decent straight from the dealer, but a little tweaking has it sounding pretty good. It is better than the Logic7 system in my previous 335i, although neither is very good in the lower frequency range, but that is not surprising.
I slapped an 8GB SD card in the reader after backing up my iTunes library, and it works like a champ. No complaints there, and I like that Audi included that option.

- Cockpit feels great. Everything where you want, everything has a nice feel to it, everything is modern and sophisticated. The interior is the real shining star of this car, other than the engine of course.

- This car is pure Jekyll and Hyde. I can either be casually cruising about like I'm in a typical 4-door, but mash the throttle and she turns into a beast! It is certainly faster than my 335i, although you don't feel yourself being pushed into the seat as much with the quattro. The ADS was expensive, but I am very happy I got it.

Initial impressions (not so good, and just 'wish it hads'.

- Needs power folding mirrors
- Vanity lights at the door handles, a-la BMW
- Heated steering wheel (once you have it, you love it)
- A more beefy steering wheel
- More of the torque in the 1000-2000 rpm range
- A bit more unique look than its A4 cousin. I like the 'sleeper car' thing, but I would like a few more subtle hints that I'm not driving a typical A4 S-line.
- More exhaust note
- A larger nav screen; and maybe widescreen

None of the above are deal breakers for me, I had an equal amount of little nitpicky things about my last 335i as well. For what I want in a car, there was no other option than the S4. And although it was/is the only option, I still love the car and would easily buy it again.

Last edited by xxShadowxx; 01-22-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xxShadowxx
I have several pictures that I'll post, but first I need to point out that the first pic with the Ti wheels is obviously not my car (US tags). Unfortunately, I didn't get a pic of mine with the Ti wheels, but this fine Audi S4 owner has the exact color selections that I chose myself.

So first, that pic - notice the weather is a helluva lot nicer too!

Okay, now that you see what one looks like is nice weather, without snow tires and wheels, AND CLEAN; here's my Quartz S4 - full specs in my signature.

So there's the new ride.. I've only driven it about 40 miles, and most of that was doing errands today, but I did get some time to tweak the B&O, mess with the ADS, put my foot in it on the autobahn, etc..

Some initial impressions (Good ones)
- Loving the interior. Pictures just don't do it justice whatsoever. The magma and black nappa blends so well with the aluminum trim. And I'm very happy the center console is aluminum as well, not piano black.

- The Titanium wheels are gorgeous. I don't know why anyone would skip out on the Ti rims. They are aggressive, yet beautiful, and will be much easier to keep clean than the potato peelers. I highly recommend them.

- It's more roomy in the front than my '08 335i Sedan. I don't feel nearly as cramped - I'm 6'2" and ~200lbs. The seats are comfortable, with great side bolstering, and the heated seats work pretty well; although I too wish they got a bit warmer. My wife's 530xi wagon's seat-heaters are wonderful.

- The B&O sounds pretty decent straight from the dealer, but a little tweaking has it sounding pretty good. It is better than the Logic7 system in my previous 335i, although neither is very good in the lower frequency range, but that is not surprising.
I slapped an 8GB SD card in the reader after backing up my iTunes library, and it works like a champ. No complaints there, and I like that Audi included that option.

- Cockpit feels great. Everything where you want, everything has a nice feel to it, everything is modern and sophisticated. The interior is the real shining star of this car, other than the engine of course.

- This car is pure Jekyll and Hyde. I can either be casually cruising about like I'm in a typical 4-door, but mash the throttle and she turns into a beast! It is certainly faster than my 335i, although you don't feel yourself being pushed into the seat as much with the quattro. The ADS was expensive, but I am very happy I got it.

Initial impressions (not so good, and just 'wish it has'.

- Needs power folding mirrors
- Vanity lights at the door handles, a-la BMW
- Heated steering wheel (once you have it, you love it)
- A more beefy steering wheel
- More of the torque in the 1000-2000 rpm range
- A bit more unique look than its A4 cousin. I like the 'sleeper car' thing, but I would like a few more subtle hints that I'm not driving a typical A4 S-line.
- More exhaust note
- A larger nav screen; and maybe widescreen

None of the above are deal breakers for me, I had an equal amount of little nitpicky things about my last 335i as well. For what I want in a car, there was no other option than the S4. And although it was/is the only option, I still love the car and would easily buy it again.
BTW,I love what you've done to the license plate. Having come from a 335i myself, I am familiar with your previous ride. Audi did leave some things out to lower the price in relation to the B7 S4 to be more price competitive with the 335i. Folding mirror was one of those casualties. Had them on My B6 and never used the feature. Don't remember if the mirrors on the 335i folded or not. It would not be hard, or cheap to replace the steering wheel with a thicker heated version. A simple ECU flash will give you more performance but more at the higher end. Many have changed the exhaust which is rather anemic sounding. Although it does get a little better with time.(not much though) So some of the items on the wish list are doable. But do you want to spend the money on them? Exhaust and ecu reflash seem to be 2 of the most popular mods. There are a few who have changed steering wheels.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

If I lived in the USA, I wouldn't care about the folding mirrors, but parking spaces and such are tight in Germany, and having power folding mirrors is a real plus. Oh, and yes, the 335i did have them. As I mentioned, not a huge deal for me, just wish it had them.

I saw a few have replaced the steering wheel. I don't have plans to do that; I'm use to BMW's rather chubby steering wheel, so in time I'll adjust to the S4's. Replacing them is not cheap..

I considered an ECU flash, but most of the performance increase is above 5000rpm, which is simply not where I want the additional power.. If I raced or tracked the car, which I don't, I would flash the ECU.

My big wish for the 335i was an interior that didn't suck.. So I'm way up in that department with the S4!
Old 01-22-2011, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! Great color combo. Stealthy and sophisticated on the outside, sporty on the inside.

Having a BMW in the family as well, I can relate to those "nice to haves." I miss the chunky steering wheel, power folding mirrors (tight garage), and super hot seat heaters. Swiviling headlights, too. Oh, and front parking sensors as well. And that BMW assist thing is nice... Hmmm, that's actually a pretty long list.

But if all those cost cuttings allowed Audi to focus on what really matters - the engine and handling - then I can't complain.

You know, many of those things can be addressed with a liberal application of money. The torque and exhaust note the easiest. I found the ECU tune to have increased the oomph at low RPMs considerably, much more than the dyno graphs would have you believe.

The power folding mirrors can be added as well if you are up for a lengthy do-it-yourself (or can find a shop up for the task). And you should talk to Alex at Europrice if the skinny steering wheel bothers you too much. The RS5 wheel is chunkier and a straight replacement, though you'll lose that glorious red stitching. Only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on it.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

All in all, I am very pleased with the car.

I too like the red stitching on the steering wheel as it matches my magma inserts and the stitching on the seats.

I had planned to remove the V6T emblems and leave it clean, but after some debating with myself over the past few days, I've decided to go with a red supercharged badge. I think it will compliment the red and aluminum theme I have going - in contrast to the black and titanium theme also going.

I know I'm thrilled with the car because I'm sitting here trying to come up with a reason to drive it!

Ole Bessy is capable of getting some really horrible gas mileage too.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

This car just continues to impress me.

Manual mode, twisty German road leading to an approx 2KM straight. I come out of a rather sharp bend in 2nd doing ~30Kmph, put my foot to the floor, and feel like all four wheels are going to break loose. Flip the paddle to 3rd, still have my foot on the floor, flip to 4th (and maybe 5th but was having too much to remember), run it to about 6800 rpm, then let the engine coast it back down to 80Kmph. I was doing 145Kmph before I let off.
That's me breaking in the engine

It was nice, real nice. Not quite the road feel of the BMW, but if the BMW "become one with the car" is a 10, then the S4 is a 9 in dynamic mode.

I've also noticed that while the exhaust note is nothing to write home about, it is more pronounced than the 335i, as heads were turning when I entered my little village (I was in manual mode doing 50kmph in 3rd).

Last edited by xxShadowxx; 01-23-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I envy you - getting to drive your S4 over twisty German roads and autobahn! I'm so regretting not having done European delivery on my S4.

Yeah, I feel the same way about the BMW vs Audi. In the BMW you can really feel everything about the road and how the car is handling. You become one with the car. In the S4 it's more like the car seems to feel everything you are saying about how you want it to handle and it responds to you. The car becomes one with you. It just goes where you tell it to.

The stock exhaust will get a little louder, too, after it breaks in around 2000 - 3000 miles or so. Er, sorry - 3000 to 5000 km.

Many people here, myself included, recommend breaking the engine in with some good wide open throttle runs each followed with engine braking. Just make sure the engine is good and warm first. Helps wear the piston rings correctly forming a better seal and reducing the chance of oil consumption later on.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, I had been driving for about 20 minutes before I really let 'er have it. It's cold here, so I'm making sure the engine is fully warmed before I start my thrashing.

I just love the interior of my S4 - whatever 'sleeper car' look it has on the outside is completely wiped away on the inside. I love love love the magma and black nappa.

My 335i really didn't feel like it was coming into its own until 90+ mph and I'm sure the S4 will be the same. Honestly, if I was in the USA, I probably would have gone with a decked-out A4 instead since there really isn't any need for this much power and speed where you're typically doing under 70mph or stuck in traffic. S4 speed is almost a must have in Germany though; the power is welcome on the autobahn, and not for just the speed factor.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by xxShadowxx
Yes, I had been driving for about 20 minutes before I really let 'er have it. It's cold here, so I'm making sure the engine is fully warmed before I start my thrashing.

I just love the interior of my S4 - whatever 'sleeper car' look it has on the outside is completely wiped away on the inside. I love love love the magma and black nappa.

My 335i really didn't feel like it was coming into its own until 90+ mph and I'm sure the S4 will be the same. Honestly, if I was in the USA, I probably would have gone with a decked-out A4 instead since there really isn't any need for this much power and speed where you're typically doing under 70mph or stuck in traffic. S4 speed is almost a must have in Germany though; the power is welcome on the autobahn, and not for just the speed factor.
You must be thinking of the urban centers.

I live in/around Santa Fe, NM. Speed limit is 75, most people do 80+ on the rural roads, and plenty of twisty mountain roads. The "High Road to Taos" in particular reminded me heavily of certain sections of the Nürburgring.

Speaking of which, make sure you hit that while you're out there. It's a really fun track so long as you don't try to drive past your limit.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

ah...how come my 2010 Quartz Gray looks much shinier than yours

Quick Reply: 2011 Quartz Gray / Magma & Black S4 Pics and Initial Driving Impressions