S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2011 S4 and excessive Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 S4 and excessive Oil Consumption

New forum member interested in a 2011 S4. I've owned 2 V6 Audi 30 valve A6 and both were oil burners. Perhaps it was the 30 valve design that made the engines so prone to consume oil.

My neighbor has a 2010 A4 2.0 that burns a quart every 2K miles. Local Audi dealer tells him it is normal. It is not unusual to see him at start up blow that blue smoke puff out the exhaust. I realize the S4 is an entirely different engine than the A4, but I am seeking peoples experience with MY 2010 S4 and its oil consumption patterns. Not interested in another oil burning Audi but I love the look and drive of the S4 with the DSG.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Jim
Old 07-22-2010, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Picked mine up with 34 miles on it (ordered from the factory, so hadn't been thrashed on any test drives).

34 - 5K miles: Free service @ dealership, it had used zero oil detectable via the MMI screen that is now used to show the oil level (it gives a bar graph representation of the cross-hatched mark on a dipstick which shows the normal range, if it gets near the bottom a quart or less can be added.) Dipsticks are no longer included on these cars now.

5K - current (9.3K miles) : MMI shows oil at about 1/2 down on the MMI "dipstick" but it was showing under full a few days after service, so I don't think as much was put in at the dealer compared to how it was shipped from the factory. I'd call it maybe .25 quarts used now over 9.3K miles.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:56 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately, you are probably responsible for any oil burning issues you had with your previous Audis. As far as an engine being prone to oil consumption , that sounds like pure dealer BS to me.Audi will share in that blame. IMHO, the break in technique that you follow has a HUGE effect on future oil consumption issue. The audi recommended(easy) break in is not conducive to COMPLETE piston ring seating and CAN result in excessive oil consumption issues. I am an advocate of the Motoman technique http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm , or modified motoman . Believe me , it works. No one who has used this technique has ever reported that they had engine problems or oil consumption issues. Many have thanked me for my advice. Unfortunately, all Audi cares about is that they don't have a warranty claim when someone, unfamiliar with his new car, overviews the engine COLD and the engine needs replacement. Audi doesn't care if your car consumes oil. Their standard for excessive oil consumption is set so high that they will rarely if ever have a warranty claim. I do not advocate the 'drive it like you stole it" technique

Last edited by DrGP; 07-22-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Unfortunately, you are probably responsible for any oil burning issues you had with your previous Audis. As far as an engine being prone to oil consumption , that sounds like pure dealer BS to me.Audi will share in that blame. IMHO, the break in technique that you follow has a HUGE effect on future oil consumption issue. The audi recommended(easy) break in is not conducive to COMPLETE piston ring seating and CAN result in excessive oil consumption issues. I am an advocate of the Motoman technique http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm , or modified motoman . Believe me , it works. No one who has used this technique has ever reported that they had engine problems or oil consumption issues. Many have thanked me for my advice. Unfortunately, all Audi cares about is that they don't have a warranty claim when someone, unfamiliar with his new car, overviews the engine COLD and the engine needs replacement. Audi doesn't care if your car consumes oil. Their standard for excessive oil consumption is set so high that they will rarely if ever have a warranty claim. I do not advocate the 'drive it like you stole it" technique
What oil comes with the vehicle? Did you have to change it out, then break it in?
Old 07-22-2010, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Thanks for that link. Very interesting. However, I am not sure if this method will apply to our cars.

Motoman states "There's a very small window of opportunity to get the rings to seal really well ... the first 20 miles !!"

I think it has been stated elsewhere on this forum that our cars come with anywhere from 25-40 miles already on the odometer from the factory. That would put us past the 80% (from Motoman's site) break in that occurs by the first 20 miles.

I am not trying to argue with you here. Just wondering if I am just not seeing this right? Is there a better way? I am all for breaking in the engine the proper way.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm down about a 1/3 of the MMI screen after about 3500 miles. Kind of startling, but my dealer said it's fine/normal. I was a little freaked out when I saw it, but I guess I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mototuneusa article is very interesting. I don't know enough about this to give an opinion. Anyone knowledgeable can validate/refute this article? And why no synthetic oil?
Old 07-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rainman86
What oil comes with the vehicle? Did you have to change it out, then break it in?
Use the factory oil. Not sure what it is but think it is Castrol???
Old 07-22-2010, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VW/Audi 2.0T engines burn oil. If you get one that can make it through the factory interval without needing to be topped up, you're lucky.

I don't think we have enough data on the 3.0ThuperCharged to know yet.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Murray
Mototuneusa article is very interesting. I don't know enough about this to give an opinion. Anyone knowledgeable can validate/refute this article? And why no synthetic oil?
I have used a similar technique for the past 15 yrs and NONE of my cars have used any appreciable amount of oil. ALL cars will consume small amounts of oil. The info on Motoman is derived from use on motorcycles. But the same break in priciples apply to just about any internal combustion engine. MCs do not have Alusil cylinder walls like our Audis. Alusil takes longer for the piston rings to seat because it is harder. I always encourage anyone who has used this technique or similar to chime in if they have had engine issue . No one ever has reported any. It just works. I have recieved nothing but thank yous form those who have used the technique.

Quick Reply: 2011 S4 and excessive Oil Consumption