S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2011 S4 and excessive Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
I have used a similar technique for the past 15 yrs and NONE of my cars have used any appreciable amount of oil. ALL cars will consume small amounts of oil. The info on Motoman is derived from use on motorcycles. But the same break in priciples apply to just about any internal combustion engine. MCs do not have Alusil cylinder walls like our Audis. Alusil takes longer for the piston rings to seat because it is harder. I always encourage anyone who has used this technique or similar to chime in if they have had engine issue . No one ever has reported any. It just works. I have recieved nothing but thank yous form those who have used the technique.
What sort of street driving do you do to break it in? Highway, mountain road?
Old 07-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rain man 86
What sort of street driving do you do to break it in? Highway, mountain road?
Here's the technique that I use on the street. CAR MUST FIRST BE UP TO NORMAL OPERATING TEMPS. From day #1, accelerate the car Wide Open Throttle to the redline(just short of the redline for the squeamish.)I assure you that nothing unusual will happen if you go to the redline. After reaching the redline, let off the accelerator and allow the car to coast back in gear to normal operating rpms without using the brake(engine braking). Do not do this from a standing stop as in a drag race. Any gear is fine but lower gears will get the job done at a lower speeds. Do not do back to back WOTS. 3-4 times a day at the most. WOTS below the redline in any gear as desired are fine. But the engine braking is the most important factor. When you reach 1000 miles anything goes. Do not beat the car. But even worse is babying the car. BTW, the engine is not broken in at the factory, but it is run up to the redline on a dyno type machine.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=NWS4Guy;24007968]Dipsticks are no longer included on these cars now./QUOTE]

But they can be added since the connection plug is still there.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Goony
Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Dipsticks are no longer included on these cars now.
But they can be added since the connection plug is still there.
Yup, search function should yeild the part number, it's been posted here and on Audizine a few times.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Use the factory oil. Not sure what it is but think it is Castrol???
The factory fill is Fuchs 5w40 according to a long research project by AofA. It took a while to get the answer...but they said they were highly confident when they called with the answer.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is my second Audi (2008 A4 2.0T and 2010 B8 S4). The A4 needed about a 1/2 qt after 10K miles. That seems fine to me.

My S4 needed nothing for the 1st 5K and I'm 3K into the next 10K with nothing needed.

I've had at least 8 other new cars that I kept for lots of years and never did anything for break in but what the owner's manual recommended (and sometimes not even that) and never had a problem with oil use. I will say that one car was a Ford tempo POS that had a rear main seal leak and dripped lots of oil into my driveway :-)
Old 07-22-2010, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by redrocker55
The factory fill is Fuchs 5w40 according to a long research project by AofA. It took a while to get the answer...but they said they were highly confident when they called with the answer.
If this is the case, then does it make more sense to just get the same oil for the regular oil changes rather than change to other brands like Mobil 1 or Amsoil?

http://store.blackforestindustries.c...yoil5w1li.html

That price is comparable to Mobile 1.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just another data point, but I am at 18,000 miles and my MMI has never shown a decrease in oil consumption.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil consumption depends on a lot of things; climate, driving style, etc. I have over 7K miles on my S4 and have had the engine oil warning come up on my MMI twice. The first time I dutifully drove to the dealership and had them top it off. The second time (2 weeks ago) I threw in half a quart of Shell "Clean Engine Formula" 5W 30 that I had laying around as I had other things I had to deal with at the moment. But, I bought a quart of Penzoil synthetic 5W 40 for the next "oil emergency."

I have an appointment to take my car in this weekend to look at the treadwear on my tires (since they didn't rotate them @ 5K service because of the tire plugs) and I'll have them top off the oil again.

But, having driven Audis for 20 years, I've learned that Audis burn a bit of oil - particularly when they're driven hard. There always seems to be some gasket or seal that's gone bad, and is leaking, or whatever.

Now, that doesn't mean you should purposely drive around with low oil or the wrong oil! Today's car engines are built to finer and finer tolerances to cope with the ever increasing demands place on them. It's even worse with a contemporary supercharged engine - which must deal with higher temperatures & pressures than the norm - so keep your oil topped off when at all possible!

Last edited by drrick89; 07-22-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you all for your prompt responses.

Looks like it will be full steam ahead for my 2011 Audi order sometime in early 2011.

Jim

Quick Reply: 2011 S4 and excessive Oil Consumption