S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2011 S4 on hand vs. 2012 one in the bush?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gmermel
Did you notice that to qualify for that rate on the '11 requires trading in an '01 or newer Audi?
No, I did not notice this. Thank you for pointing that out.

So here's what happened yesterday. I contacted another dealer, to see about getting a better price. The guy there informs me that he had called MY dealer (the one with the '11) in stock, and that they told him that it had been sold, and scheduled for delivery on Tuesday. Now, I tried to call my contact at the dealership out here, but he was apparently not there. So I have no clue if it really has been sold or not. Anyways, new dealer guy says that I can order a '12 through him, and offered basically the same price as this '11 one on the lot. So it looks like I might be getting a '12, after all.

I am still interested in the '11 though, and will possibly persue it, depending on local sales guy's story when I hear from him again. Basically, I am having doubts about the car having actually been sold in the interim few days since I was over there and test drove it. This is not a very affluent area. But, I suppose it is possible. Yesterday, when dealer B told me this, I was very disappointed. Now, though, I guess I feel like I win, either way...

What do you guys think? Would dealships play "games" with each other like this? I.e., tell another dealer that a car in inventory has sold when, in fact, it has not?
Old 07-03-2011, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by blitzboy76
What do you guys think? Would dealships play "games" with each other like this? I.e., tell another dealer that a car in inventory has sold when, in fact, it has not?
With each other AND with you. The same thing happened to me: a dealer had a special paint '11 on their lot. I called on the car. A special paint is worthless on a used car despite being a $2500 option, and being an '11 car made it a year old. I expected them to discount the paint's $2500, and yet more for the modelyear.When I checked the next day, it had been "sold".

It may have been sold. Some rube may have thought the paint was priceless being "special". The dealer might have also offered him a discount similar to or less than the discount people are already getting on '12s and the buyer fell for that too.

Or, they steered me toward a '12 hoping to gouge someone on the '11 that hadn't done their homework.....

My guess would be your original dealer will work at selling you the '11 by warning you once it's gone there will only be the '12 S4's available at msrp. They'll use that gambit to sell the '11 at a price people are paying for '12s elsewhere.

Personally, I would give up on the '11. You are too well informed to pay what they will want.........
Old 07-04-2011, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gmermel
Personally, I would give up on the '11. You are too well informed to pay what they will want.........
Yes, I think you are right. I have decided I want ibis white, anyway. What looks good as an interior with ibis? I am thinking red...