S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2011 S4 vs TL vs EVO test drive video

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandonb
Did they ever mention their S4 having sports diff or ADS? I didn't catch any mention of it, though I'm not about to subject myself to another viewing to double check. I wonder if their test car lacked those options. Still, shouldn't have made that big of a difference.

I did notice in their credits they thanked Acura NA and Mitsubishi NA, but not Audi. Perhaps there's a bit of "no pay, no play" going on there.

They also have quite a few other videos featuring the Acura TL. Hmmm...
At 4:12 you can see the SD/ADS controls on the dash through the spokes on the steering wheel. The camera angle on the "speed" run doesn't show the shifter position, but I can see him monkeying with the paddles. I know in the familiarity with the course run the car was NOT in the "M" gate though.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you guys think we should invite one of those testers into our forum and have them defend their results...I think they would get smoked over here! I'd love to hear what they have to say about their times on that course and our last place finish...
Old 06-02-2011, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Those guys/girl are a bunch of clowns. I don't think they know how to properly test the cars. The guy in the EVO is a jackass from the way he drives. The other guy seems worthless on driving. And the girl...why was she even there?
Old 06-02-2011, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm like all you in reacting to this video . . . no way the TL out does the S4. But I will say this, the C&D test between the S4 and TL manual SH-AWD on the famous Nurburgring course earlier this year showed less than 1 second difference for best lap time . . . which really shocked me. In the straights, the S4 blew away the TL, but in the tight curves the TL was better, which is saying a lot because C&D had high praise for the S4's handling around bends. I went and got a TL loaner for a day when I had the wife's MDX in for service (the TL was 2WD, not SH-AWD) and drove my twisty roads that I routinely carved up with my 2006 A4 quattro. And I was shocked at the handling of this car. It has a remarkable chassis that stays level even on tight curves at speed (and again this wasn't the SH-AWD). It out-handled my A4 quattro and even bettered the 3-series that I drove.

So my only point here is that the course they used played to the handling strengths of the TL and minimized the great advantage the S4 has in long straights. But even with that, there is NO way the TL could outpace the S4on that twisty course by 30 odd seconds (or any course for that matter). I could see it being close, though . . . but still would expect the S4 to be in front.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

On that road I thought the Evo would be first than the S4 and then the TL. That show is a joke anyways. The sad thing is how does 3 people with no clue of Auto's all become Auto Journalists or whatever they call themselves.
That the TL is no joke even though the design is crummy.