S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2012 S4 Configuration w/Stasis Touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@jceven Thanks for the great feedback. This is really helpful and makes me more excited about my decision! Once you've driven an RS4, it's difficult to drive anything that's much lower in performance.

My dealer first told me about Stasis on the S4 and then I was finally more comfortable with my decision.

What I'm finding very distressing is how difficult it appears to be to find an Audi with a manual transmission. I fear that my next car after this one will have to be automatic. I know you can shift faster with paddles, but that's not the point. It's about the feeling of shifting and having the skills to control the clutch/move smoothly between gears that gives me the satisfaction of driving. Paddle-shifting just seems kind of boring every time I've tried.

Sandy
Old 07-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I hear you, but having never driven a manual every myself (sacrilege, I know), the DSG is amazing. Sure you are not working the clutch and the shifter. You are probably more lucky than I with traffic, here in the bay area the commit is awful and I work in Tech so I am commuting around Silicon Valley. Would probably die with manual, I don't know though. Heard from many a friend who refuse to give up the clutch pedal and shifter how attached they are. Seems like they are pretty hard to find in stock anyways around here, the few manuals they order get snatched up pretty quickly.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jceven
I hear you, but having never driven a manual every myself (sacrilege, I know), the DSG is amazing. Sure you are not working the clutch and the shifter. You are probably more lucky than I with traffic, here in the bay area the commit is awful and I work in Tech so I am commuting around Silicon Valley. Would probably die with manual, I don't know though. Heard from many a friend who refuse to give up the clutch pedal and shifter how attached they are. Seems like they are pretty hard to find in stock anyways around here, the few manuals they order get snatched up pretty quickly.
I'm in Seattle and have a reverse commute - everyone is heading North while I'm heading South, and since my husband and I carpool most of the time, it's the HOV lane for me. I agree that no matter how much I love a manual transmission, if I was in bad traffic every day, I would probably go with automatic.

I learned to drive on a stick-shift VW Rabbit and always loved the agility and spunk of my first car. Now that I'm back in a manual again for the past six years, I'm loathe to give it up.

btw - I'll be getting the Prestige package for my S4. Just realized that I omitted that important detail from my original list!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just cruising through these pages I stumbled on this and can certainly give you some feedback.

I just bought a Brilliant Black, DSG, Prestige, Titanium Package, Alu optics, black with black alcantara, carbon atlas inlays and a full Stasis touring package. I probably over paid like crazy for this car, but I was kind of in a bind and to be truthful it was turnkey, looked and preformed incredible.

Honestly I am new to the Audi fam, coming from a Mercedes E55 AMG, and this car is nothing short of impressive. Straight line speed was the only thing I used to care about. This car changed everything.

The suspension is planted, fairly stiff and surprisingly comfortable.

The power is there in the full band, throttle is responsive. I never drove it without the tune so I have no comparison... I could assume that the car might be a bit of a slouch if I was missing the 80 extra hp.

Transmission is honestly my favorite feature of the car. DSG rules in all situations.

The Stasis wheels look sick, enough said.

And the exhaust, which all I read are complaints that everyone hates the Stasis exhaust.... If the complaint is drone well my car has absolutely none. Not cruising on the highway, not daily commuting, not ever. I actually think it sounds pretty reserved. Not annoyingly loud, and it looks very nice. Its one of my most appreciated pieces on the car.

You can check out a ton of photos (updated ones with tint and plate filler on pg. 2) in this thread.

B8 S4 Stasis Touring

Hope that helps you make your decision.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sandy,
Hit me up sometime if you and your husband want to meet and check out a DSG with APR exhaust and APR stage 2 + pulley tune. Stasis does have drone issues with the first 2 revisions of their exhaust, I haven't heard the third try yet. I also have a thread on Audizine which is over a year old now, where I got everyone together in the Seattle area with the various exhaust offerings and recorded it all. Stasis was barely better than stock in terms of sound.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

NWS4GUY, how is the pulley working out for you. Did you notice the engine heats up more? I was wondering because APR made the cooling upgrade after the pulley came out...
Old 08-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would definitely like to hear what the interior S4 cabin sounds like with other exhaust options (Having a stasis exhaust myself that was already on the car I purchased), There is some drone I am used to, but I am not going to spend 1-2000$ to change what I already have, at least not in the near future. Quite curious though how others sound.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Muray
NWS4GUY, how is the pulley working out for you. Did you notice the engine heats up more? I was wondering because APR made the cooling upgrade after the pulley came out...
No more heat that I have ususally seen, but I line in a pretty cool climate compared to a lot of the US. I am doing some extensive logging and want to compile a lot of data overall before releasing anything definitively - however on the 93 tune I have been seeing 14psi starting as low as 3700RPM and continuing though 5200 RPMs