S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2012 S4 Premium plus w/ options....good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 S4 Premium plus w/ options....good buy?

Hi ALL,

First post, I'm looking to go from a 335 sedan to an Audi S4, just want to take a quick poll on a car I'm looking at and see if it's a good/reasonable purchase.

2012 S4 Premium plus
MMI Navi
Rear sports differential
B&O
advanced key
metallic paint
Carbon inlay
10500 miles

It was a returned lease vehicle. Dealer listing it for $45000 which I thought was not a bad offer. They have told me they list it pretty aggressively and probably won't go much lower. I've done some looking around in the past few weeks, and it seems anywhere from $44000-44500 for this car is not a bad deal. By the way this car does have all the options I want, so I'm not looking for a "steal" necessarily, just want to make sure it's reasonable. It's a CA car

Thanks in advanced. looking forward to getting involved on the board (my 335 is heavily modded)

R
Old 01-15-2013, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

If it is CPO for that price, I agree it is a fair price. I say ask them to include AudiCare and close the deal.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by isles1
If it is CPO for that price, I agree it is a fair price. I say ask them to include AudiCare and close the deal.
Thanks for the advice. It's not a CPO, it's an Audi dealer but they said it's a low mileage car and in order to keep sales price low they don't CPO it, I'm assuming they would list it for higher if CPO'd

I'm not too concerned about CPO for this car, I don't keep cars for that long. Actually already eyeing the F30 M3, the S4 just needs to fill the gap
Old 01-15-2013, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Call me a pessimist, but if I were you I'd be asking myself why they do not want to CPO it and ask a higher price. Maybe it cannot be CPOed. Sounds like a line of BS to me.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 396 Likes on 354 Posts

Ask to see warranty claims and damage history to date. Isles makes a valid point.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Are you sure it has the sport diff?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Tweakophyte
Are you sure it has the sport diff?
yes i saw the original window sticker, msrp was $55k
Old 01-15-2013, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Ask to see warranty claims and damage history to date. Isles makes a valid point.
i'll do that. carfax only shows one maintainence service done. you're right though of all the s4's on sale by audi dealers in my area, there's only one other none-certified and that one is modded.

this audi (audi of downtown la) has 3 s4's, none are certified. could it be they're telling the truth of keeping the prices low? none of the other ceritifed used s4's even come close to $45k in my area (socal).

i'm assuming they'll want to raise the sales price if i intend on getting it certified (maybe around 46-47k). now if the car is under warranty and has no other damage record that i can find (and nothing suspicious during the walk-around and test drive), should i walk away just cuz the dealer won't certify it (even at $44-45k)? not any different than purchasing the same car from a private party right?

thanks for the suggestions. more are welcomed.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

My understanding is the CPO costs the dealer $2-2.5K.

The difference between this dealer and a private-party sale is the dealer has the means to CPO this. There is a chance they tried and it failed. Can they show you a carfax?

At least ask them to confirm and document there is no TD1 flag, and that it is fully covered by the original mfg warranty. I'd get that in writing.

You can also tell them you will pay for CPO, at least to get a reaction...

... I keep a healthy sense of paranoia with these kinds of things ...
Old 01-16-2013, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Tweakophyte
My understanding is the CPO costs the dealer $2-2.5K.

The difference between this dealer and a private-party sale is the dealer has the means to CPO this. There is a chance they tried and it failed. Can they show you a carfax?

At least ask them to confirm and document there is no TD1 flag, and that it is fully covered by the original mfg warranty. I'd get that in writing.

You can also tell them you will pay for CPO, at least to get a reaction...

... I keep a healthy sense of paranoia with these kinds of things ...
Good stuff! thanks!
yes the dealer said cpo costs them about 2-3K. I'll definitely get them put the car's warranty condition in writing. again, i'm not worried so much about CPO since i won't keep the car for THAT long, in fact i'll be just as happy not paying for the extra cost of CPO.

Quick Reply: 2012 S4 Premium plus w/ options....good buy?