S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2012 s4 rough idle when break is relased

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 s4 rough idle when break is relased

i just got my first audi and its an s4 2012.
Its awesome
Anyway, i notce that when i stop the car fully, then relase break, the idle goes rough for maybe a tenth of a second before it stars to roll. You also notice if you step on the gas right away sometimes from a full stop. Normal accelleration is smooth, but this seems to bother me. Is this normal for this car? i was going to go back to dealer, but was hopeing for some advise first. Im wondering if there is maybe a firmware upgrade to the ecm or something that i should suggest to the dealer
any advise?

thanks

lee
Old 11-03-2011, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you have a DSG, not a 6MT. The DSG and ECU will adapt to your driving and get better after some use, it should smooth right out and the car should feel mostly like an automatic even though it's not - they even creep slowly when off the brake.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i hope it smooths out. It just seems weird for a new car to have such a weird feel when releasing the brake pedal. Not sure what you mean thast car should feel like automatic when its not. It is a seven speed automatic.

thanks

lee
Old 11-03-2011, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by leeg123
i hope it smooths out. It just seems weird for a new car to have such a weird feel when releasing the brake pedal. Not sure what you mean thast car should feel like automatic when its not. It is a seven speed automatic.

thanks

lee
DSG is NOT automatic. It's dual clutch, a manual transmission with two clutches. One controls the odd gears, the other controls the even gears.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bbmaster
DSG is NOT automatic. It's dual clutch, a manual transmission with two clutches. One controls the odd gears, the other controls the even gears.
What he said. Your DSG has 2 clutches, ZERO torque convertors. That makes it a manual - an manual controlled by a computer, but a manual nonetheless.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
What he said. Your DSG has 2 clutches, ZERO torque convertors. That makes it a manual - an manual controlled by a computer, but a manual nonetheless.
Sorry to hijack the thread.

NWS4Guy, do you know what's the difference between all the DSGs out there. Specifically speaking, VW GTI's DSG, Audi S4's S-tronic, Audi TT's S-tronic, BMW M3's DCT, and Porsche's PDK? Are they all from the same manufacturer and what are the differences? I read somewhere that S4's S-tronic does not use any transmission oil, any truth to that?

Last edited by bbmaster; 11-04-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by leeg123
...Anyway, i notce that when i stop the car fully, then relase break...
Does this also happen when you release the brake?

(/smartass)

Seriously, though, as others have point out, this is a characteristic of the DSG transmission. As you drive the car more, you'll learn how to minimize/avoid this....

Congrats - enjoy your car!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bbmaster
Sorry to hijack the thread.

NWS4Guy, do you know what's the difference between all the DSGs out there. Specifically speaking, VW GTI's DSG, Audi S4's S-tronic, Audi TT's S-tronic, BMW M3's DCT, and Porsche's PDK? Are they all from the same manufacturer and what are the differences? I read somewhere that S4's S-tronic does not use any transmission oil, any truth to that?
I know that they are not all made from the same manufacturer (so far as Porsche's PDK versus Audi, versus BMW, but the Audi's could be sourced from the same people). BMW is known to use Getrag I know. The TT/VW are the same basic hardware, both are much more compact, and actually have 2 input shafts side by side - and since those are transverse engines, and the 3.0TFSI we have is longintudinal.

Here's some research data for you on Audi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ondacZY4A

http://www.dctfacts.com/in-the-marke...emium-DCT.aspx

VW's transverse by comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzPlKN_U7uI

Some on Porsche PDK:

http://www.dctfacts.com/in-the-marke...joins-dct.aspx

HUGE nice FAQ site that covers VAG (VW, Audi, Porsche) and their differences and similarities: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DSG-faq-VW-Audi.htm

BMW:

http://www.dctfacts.com/archive/2009...trags-dct.aspx
Old 11-04-2011, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

If I remember correctly, the original VW/Audi DSG 6-speed was made by BorgWarner. Audi then designed the 7-speed S-tronic in-house (used in the S4) and also a 7-speed with dry clutches but the latter version can only support a lower max. torque value.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by GolfGL
If I remember correctly, the original VW/Audi DSG 6-speed was made by BorgWarner. Audi then designed the 7-speed S-tronic in-house (used in the S4) and also a 7-speed with dry clutches but the latter version can only support a lower max. torque value.
I rememeber also seeing them say they were going to move to a dry clutch DSG, but that has (as of yet) not been seen or discussed any further. If they can get one with good clamping force that can take a lot of TQ, it would certainly help with the weight difference between the 6MT and DSG - all that hypoid oil weighs a lot.