S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016
View Poll Results: Which did, or would, you choose for 2013?
Standard Brushed Aluminum inlays (with silver plastic instrument panel surround)
22.99%
Carbon Atlas inlays (with silver plastic instrument panel surround)
44.83%
Stainless Steel Mesh inlays (with Piano Black center console and instrument panel surround)
32.18%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

2013 inlays: which did/would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by muscarel
From the photos of the 2013s I have seen, the silver surround is thinner now than in the 2012's.
Correct, the bezel/border is thinner. These vids show the differences in materials for a Carbon Atlas car vs. a SS Mesh/Piano Black car...

Carbon Fiber w/ standard silver instrument panel (interior footage at 3:40):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFJR4...4&feature=plcp

Stainless Steel Mesh w/ Piano Black center console & instrument panel (interior footage at 2:40):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP1u_...2&feature=plcp
Old 05-24-2012, 06:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smith837
You really can't go wrong with either the Carbon or the SS. Both are really nice (as they should be...you're paying for 'em). The SS Mesh is much more refined and distinctive than the brushed aluminum...you just have to get up close to appreciate the detail. The carbon looks great when the sunlight hits it, especially when the sun is low in the sky.

Truth be told, although I have SS on order, I keep second guessing the decision. Still leaning toward it though. I'm just used to Carbon and trying to imagine the new car with the changes. The 2013 has a decent amount of glossy black standard (e.g., around the steering column, on the steering wheel, in the center stack). So the addition of the piano black center console and especially the piano black instrument panel surround seem to really complete the package. That said, I know I'd be happy with the Carbon and don't yet know what it'd be like to live with (and care for) all that piano. The silver plastic surround that you get with the Carbon isn't as nice, but what you lose in luster, you gain in ease of care.
I don't know how you're making out with your decision, but you've really helped me with mine! I saw the pictures you posted elsewhere showing different views of the SS and Carbon options. Very helpful. SS looks great, and I can definitely understand why you're opting for it, given you have Carbon on your current car. A change will be nice. However, for me, the Carbon would be new and I think it looks great. So that's my decision. Good luck with making your final decision!
Old 05-24-2012, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sleepy1950
I don't know how you're making out with your decision, but you've really helped me with mine! I saw the pictures you posted elsewhere showing different views of the SS and Carbon options. Very helpful. SS looks great, and I can definitely understand why you're opting for it, given you have Carbon on your current car. A change will be nice. However, for me, the Carbon would be new and I think it looks great. So that's my decision. Good luck with making your final decision!
Glad I could be of help, and congrats on your choice! The Carbon is really excellent, and I will miss it, but also agree that a change will be nice. Pretty sure I'm sticking with my initial, gut move -- the Piano Black instrument panel is too good to pass up and will really set the 2013 S4 apart.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

So it seems that Carbon Atlas is still preferred, although the SS Mesh w/ Piano Black instrument panel surround has made a respectable showing in our poll.

On a personal note, my saga to make a final decision on the 2013 inlays continues. I was in an A8 today that had a lot of Piano Black in it. Gotta say, not sure I was lovin' it. Granted, it was substantially different than how the PB is being used in the 2013 S4, but I'm still not 100% sold. Does anyone out there NOT like the look of the PB instrument panel surround in the pics of the SS Mesh interior? Has anyone seen it in person? I've been operating under the assumption that PB was inherently better than the standard surround, but perhaps not. Dunno.

For those opting for Carbon Atlas, is it because you don't like the PB instrument panel surround better than the standard surround, you just prefer the look of the carbon fiber to the stainless steel mesh, or you plan to add the PB surround aftermarket? Whatever your reasoning, I'm curious...

Last edited by Smith837; 05-26-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Carbon fiber. PM me for the work.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just wondering if anyone steered clear of the stainless steel mesh w/ piano black surround because of concerns about reflections/glare from the piano black when driving. I'm hearing mixed (UK-based) reviews of the piano black trim for this reason.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can the piano black surround be added aftermarket?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Smith837
Just wondering if anyone steered clear of the stainless steel mesh w/ piano black surround because of concerns about reflections/glare from the piano black when driving. I'm hearing mixed (UK-based) reviews of the piano black trim for this reason.
I have a 2013 with mesh and piano black (in Florida) and have had no issues with glare. I have tinted windows but didn't notice any glare before they were tinted either.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Picked up my 2013 Lava Grey last week and had the same difficult choice you are going through. I went with Carbon Atlas and love it.For what it's worth everyone who has seen the car has noticed it and loved it. There is so much elegant black in the car already that I think the CF is a nice contrast.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I picked up my car last week and have the stainless steel/piano black. The stainless has a great texture (it's very nice), and there's no glare around the instrument panel from the piano black (I LOVE the look of the black around the instrument panel!). The piano black around the shifter/MMI controls is prone to finger prints, but I keep a microfiber cloth in the cup holder, so that's not a problem. I'm very happy with my choice.

Quick Reply: 2013 inlays: which did/would you choose?