S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2013 S4 - Alcantara or Nappa?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 S4 - Alcantara or Nappa?

So I have an order in for the 2013 S4 that I should be getting in late July... Specs are: Prem+, Adv Key, Nav, Sports Diff, B&O, Carbon Fiber Inlays.

I am strongly favoring Misano Red Pearl for the color... right now the interior is black/black alcantara, but that's the part I'm not sure about...

If I go silk nappa, then it would be magma red inserts. If I go Alcantara, I'm not sure if I should go silver or black.

What have your experiences been with Alcantara and Silk Nappa and what are some things I should really consider when choosing? Also, what do you think of silver vs black Alcantara?

3 months of waiting, this is torture! But at least it gives me some time to make some final changes. Let me know what you think, thanks!
Old 05-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have Alcantara, and love the grip (thus stability) it provides while driving around
Old 05-02-2012, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

FWIW, silk nappa is gone. Now it's fine nappa.

With the disclaimer that I have no direct first hand experience with the materials in either of Audi's interior choices on the S4... I went with lunar silver / black fine nappa leather for my 2013 order for a couple of reasons. 1) I wanted the nicer looking armrests that come with the fine nappa leather. 2) I saw pictures of the "wear" that people complain about on the leather and didn't find it objectionable. 3) I think the leather is a little more luxurious / classier. 4) The leather will be easier to clean.

Last edited by Stereodude; 05-02-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stereodude
FWIW, silk nappa is gone. Now it's fine nappa.

With the disclaimer that I have no direct first hand experience with the materials in either of Audi's interior choices on the S4... I went with lunar silver / black fine nappa leather for my 2013 order for a couple of reasons. 1) I wanted the nicer looking armrests that come with the fine nappa leather. 2) I saw pictures of the "wear" that people complain about on the leather and didn't find it objectionable. 3) I think the leather is a little more luxurious / classier. 4) The leather will be easier to clean.
I agree that leather looks a little classier but I am happy with my alcantara seats. The do develop the suede look patterns but I have to say they are pretty resistant to stains/spills. I accidentally dropped some vinegar/oil dressing that was in a container on my back seat. I thought I was in real trouble but it didn't soak in and I just wiped it up. I was pretty impressed.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I disagree with leather being "classier". I think leather has been around for ages and is the standard. I can't remember the last car I got in that didn't have leather seats. I went with the alcantara because I'm sick of leather. You can make some case for the quality of leather being good, but most people couldn't tell the difference between leather in a hyundai genesis and an S4. I think it's a subtle distinction that sets the car apart and have been very happy with mine. Very soft and comfortable.

If you're going red exterior though and you want to be flashy, the red inserts isn't a bad choice. I personally don't like the two tone seats in alcantara and went with black/black.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JamesB41
I can't remember the last car I got in that didn't have leather seats.
I can't remember the last car I got in that had 2 tone leather seats.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jasuarez
What have your experiences been with Alcantara and Silk Nappa and what are some things I should really consider when choosing? Also, what do you think of silver vs black Alcantara?
I have the Silver (read: gray) alcantara, and here's what I've experienced:

I enjoy the contrast in color on the seats
I'm no race car driver, but you definitely feel 'planted' in the seat - no sliding at all
The texture works for me - I kinda dig it

Worries:
Reports of clothing coloring wearing off onto the textured alcantara (again, mine is light in color)
Possible difficulty cleaning
Resale value - i have no real data on this, and it may not be a real issue

From a general 'class' feel, I'd probably prefer leather throughout, but it has never been a huge disappointment or anything like that at all.

Go with your gut, and I'm hoping to see pics of your new baby with dark red leather inserts ;-)
Old 05-03-2012, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the feedback, naturally the silver alcantara was also a concern for me with staining... I do love the contrast, but I'll hate it if it stains, the silver would make stains even more pronounced. I guess my main concern about Alcantara is how I keep reading you "stick" to it and the way people describe it sounds more like velcro than just firmly keeping you in place.

And it's a good point on the Alcantara setting the S4 apart' from other makers in luxury sedans. Being MT with sports diff, and the way I see myself driving more often than now, the Alcantara would be a plus, so I guess my choice was simpler than I thought.

Thanks again for your input, and I'll definitely be posting a pic when it's in.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

"Stick" is more of a misnomer. It's more of a lack of sliding or moving side to side in tight turns. The the alcantara fabric has a suede like texture, and it's that texture in conjunction with the fabric of your clothing that "resist" moving. No velcro like grabbing as there's no resistance to getting in/out of the car.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

i would do alcantra on a sports car.

Quick Reply: 2013 S4 - Alcantara or Nappa?