S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2013 s4 dual clutch issue!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smellmyfart
2013 s4 dual clutch issue!
And I floored it with the ESP on and the same thing happened b4.
This may be backtracking, but have you verified that it is not the ESP causing this?
Old 02-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ToastR
This may be backtracking, but have you verified that it is not the ESP causing this?
I have my esp off when the issue appears as well. I think mark gave the detail description about this. I am going take it to the dealer to check it out. Thanks for your help man.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have my esp off when the issue appears as well. I think mark gave the detail description about this. I am going take it to the dealer to check it out. Thanks for your help man.
yup, that was one of the very first suggestions a memeber made but I never engaged that feature anyway

I was also typically in Dynamic/Sport mode when this occured. I dont ever recall it happening in Auto mode, but then again, now that I think of it, why would anyone stomp on the throttle w/o being in Dynamic/sport mode? So its possible I could have reproduced it in Auto mode but I am usually crusing on the highway in Auto mode
Old 02-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Jerking Issue

I showed the video to my f who has a 2010 b8 s4. He said he had the similar issue. The tech told him that for b8 s4, the system learns how the driver drives for last 5 times. If the driver usually drives the car gently and suddenly pushes the gas bar hard, the system will get confused and "cut off the gas" to stop to car for preventing accidents. That is the terms that the tech used to describe it. And this issue needs an ECU reset. Then it will be ok. However, the driver should keep revving the car hard and let the system know that is the way how the driver drives to avoid the similar issue occurs again. Otherwise, another ECU reset is needed except the driver doesnt rev the car hard anymore which is impossible for all s4 owners. Agree?

Now, I guess an ECU reset is a must temporarily but from now on, I really dont know how to deal with it. Anyone has come out with a final solution to end this nightmare?

Again, I really thank members for trying to help here.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I showed the video to my f who has a 2010 b8 s4. He said he had the similar issue....
While there have been a few instances of real problems with DSG units (mostly the mechatronics unit), it seems that you simply may not have yet become accustomed to the DSG's responses.

Rather than freaking out about it, why not drive the car a bit more to better understand how the DSG operates under a wide range of conditions? It's not a traditional automatic transmission, nor a traditional manual, so it doesn't behave the way those do...
Old 02-23-2013, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
While there have been a few instances of real problems with DSG units (mostly the mechatronics unit), it seems that you simply may not have yet become accustomed to the DSG's responses.

Rather than freaking out about it, why not drive the car a bit more to better understand how the DSG operates under a wide range of conditions? It's not a traditional automatic transmission, nor a traditional manual, so it doesn't behave the way those do...
Isn't it a "automatic"?? How do you "learn" to drive an automatic? He has it in launch control and is simply pressing the accelerator right? What other special techniques must you follow to do it correctly on a DSG dual clutch automatic? Please elaborate.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ToastR

I dont know what the problem is. I visited the dealer last thursday and couldnt replicate the issue to them. They did the diagnostic test on it and found no problem at all.

Here are the links of two videos made at different time. Any clues?
It happened when I did launch control in dynamic mode. The issue just came randomly. And it happened in comfort mode as well or even happened when I accelerate with full throttle both in esp on and off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JPAj...ature=youtu.be

Thank you.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you.
From what I can see in the video clip, you have not actually activated launch control. It appears to me that your stability control is still on, because I can hear what sounds like the engine straining against the brakes in the initial launch. Since the transmission is a dual-clutch automated manual, when in launch control mode there's no straining of the engine against the brakes at all. The engine simply revs cleanly and with no load to 3200-ish RPM, and when you let off the brake, it feels as if the car has been rear-ended. The initial movement off the line is much more dramatic and quicker than what I see in your clip. There is also a brief delay after releasing the brake before the car starts to move - again something that I don't see in your clip.

For launch control to be activated, if your car has ADS, you MUST be in "Dynamic" mode, and you must have completely deactivated the stablity control. This requires holding down the ESP button for about 5 seconds until "Warning-restricted stability!" appears in the center driver's information display.

Try again using these tips and see how that works for you.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

From what I can see in the video clip, you have not actually activated launch control. It appears to me that your stability control is still on, because I can hear what sounds like the engine straining against the brakes in the initial launch. Since the transmission is a dual-clutch automated manual, when in launch control mode there's no straining of the engine against the brakes at all. The engine simply revs cleanly and with no load to 3200-ish RPM, and when you let off the brake, it feels as if the car has been rear-ended. The initial movement off the line is much more dramatic and quicker than what I see in your clip. There is also a brief delay after releasing the brake before the car starts to move - again something that I don't see in your clip.

For launch control to be activated, if your car has ADS, you MUST be in "Dynamic" mode, and you must have completely deactivated the stablity control. This requires holding down the ESP button for about 5 seconds until "Warning-restricted stability!" appears in the center driver's information display.

First of all, I really appreciate that ur information for my issue. I will do as what u said and see how it goes.
And I wanna mention it again. This issue not only comes during the launch control but also when I floor it with the ESP off. I will hold down the ESP for at least 5 seconds and try to floor it again.

Thank you very much.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Forgot to mention that I did exactly the same thing for the launch control when the tech was sitting in my car. However, I failed to replicate the issue in front of him. And I usually do two continuous launch control. It is always jerky in the first time but the second time is very smooth. I really wish I didnt have the proper launch instead of being told that my car has some software or even mechanical issue.

Again, thank you.

Quick Reply: 2013 s4 dual clutch issue!