S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2014 Driver Assist Package (ordering question)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 618 Likes on 445 Posts

The adaptive cruise control is nice and it also include Brake Guard. I've had this feature on several cars but Audi needs to work on the implementation of it. I've had Brake Guard trigger several times for no reason (one time it decided to slam on the brakes while I was driving on the highway with no one in front of me, thankfully there was no one behind me either). Also the adaptive cruise control doesn't always work. I've approached stopped traffic and have to hit the brakes myself because the ACC didn't detect any cars in front of me.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
The adaptive cruise control is nice and it also include Brake Guard. I've had this feature on several cars but Audi needs to work on the implementation of it. I've had Brake Guard trigger several times for no reason (one time it decided to slam on the brakes while I was driving on the highway with no one in front of me, thankfully there was no one behind me either). Also the adaptive cruise control doesn't always work. I've approached stopped traffic and have to hit the brakes myself because the ACC didn't detect any cars in front of me.
Audi improved ACC and BG in 2013 models (curious, what is your MY?), I have been using both systems for a year now and never had any issues. Brake Guard probably prevented me from rear ending a car that unexpectedly stopped in front of me while I was checking my blind spot. However note that the system only tracks moving cars that stop or slow down, not stationary objects!
Old 09-09-2013, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by kostas_os
Audi improved ACC and BG in 2013 models (curious, what is your MY?), I have been using both systems for a year now and never had any issues. Brake Guard probably prevented me from rear ending a car that unexpectedly stopped in front of me while I was checking my blind spot. However note that the system only tracks moving cars that stop or slow down, not stationary objects!
It's a 2013 model. I've also noticed that the side assist stops working sometimes in heavy rain after about 20 - 30 minutes of driving. The ACC sometimes works with stationary traffic, but not always. It also seems to have issues if I'm driving up or down a slight incline and there are cars in front of me.

I had an Infiniti G37 with ACC previously (it was laser as opposed to radar based) and I never had any problems with it.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

It's a 2013 model. I've also noticed that the side assist stops working sometimes in heavy rain after about 20 - 30 minutes of driving. The ACC sometimes works with stationary traffic, but not always. It also seems to have issues if I'm driving up or down a slight incline and there are cars in front of me.

I had an Infiniti G37 with ACC previously (it was laser as opposed to radar based) and I never had any problems with it.
From the manual: "The ACC only reacts to objects that are moving or has already been detected as moving. In other words, if a vehicle which has already been detected by the ACC, turns or changes lanes and another stationary vehicle is located in front of that vehicle, the system will not react to the stationary vehicle". This would also occur if you came upon stationary, stopped traffic when, since you were far enough back, hadn't been following an ACC detected car previously.

I'm not sure if you meant the ACC or the Side Assist in your rain comment. While I've never had it occur in either, I suppose if the rain was heavy enough, the ACC or Side Assist radar beams could be disrupted. I've also never experienced the incline issue described so long as the car in front was already detected as moving previously.

As a side note, after the ACC stops the car due to a following car in front coming to a stop, the car will not immediately move on it's own unless you tap on the accelerator
Old 09-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a 2013 model. I've also noticed that the side assist stops working sometimes in heavy rain after about 20 - 30 minutes of driving...
That makes sense, the Side Assist sensors are located low in the rear bumper and they will be inside the thick mist created by the tires in heavy rain. I read somewhere that SA uses low power radar in the 6Ghz frequency range so it will be affected by the presence of liquid water in the air.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
From the manual: "The ACC only reacts to objects that are moving or has already been detected as moving. In other words, if a vehicle which has already been detected by the ACC, turns or changes lanes and another stationary vehicle is located in front of that vehicle, the system will not react to the stationary vehicle". This would also occur if you came upon stationary, stopped traffic when, since you were far enough back, hadn't been following an ACC detected car previously.

I'm not sure if you meant the ACC or the Side Assist in your rain comment. While I've never had it occur in either, I suppose if the rain was heavy enough, the ACC or Side Assist radar beams could be disrupted. I've also never experienced the incline issue described so long as the car in front was already detected as moving previously.

As a side note, after the ACC stops the car due to a following car in front coming to a stop, the car will not immediately move on it's own unless you tap on the accelerator
Fair enough, for me it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't in stop and go traffic. Seems weird that they made it work that way.

The ACC only works at speed above 15 mph (or something like that). I think the A6 and above work all the way down to 0 mph.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Fair enough, for me it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't in stop and go traffic. Seems weird that they made it work that way.

The ACC only works at speed above 15 mph (or something like that). I think the A6 and above work all the way down to 0 mph.
Actually, the ACC will engage only at a minimum 20 mph on all ACC equipped Audis but once a vehicle is detected, will keep working down to a stop as needed.

When you say ACC sometimes doesn't work in stop and go traffic, exactly what do you mean? What doesn't it do that you believe it should?