S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2014 S4 Grill Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 2014 S4 Grill Question

So I'm a bit confused about the Audi grille. The online configurator shows that the 2014 Audi S4 has what looks like a single large grill that is done in chrome like trim throughout. Some other pictures of the A4/S4 I have seen have been the following:

1) dark grey/black trim grill throughout-- no "filler" panels or plate holder
2) Dark grey or chrome trim grill with 3 grey "filler" panels
3) Dark grey or chrome trim grill with a "belt" across the middle. This "belt" can be in grey, matte black, or gloss black.

So I'm really confused which models come with which grill, and/or which grills simply have been accessorized. Basically, the grill I *want* is the large "single piece" looking grill seen in the configurator. I signed the "front license plate" waiver so I know I am not getting a plate holder, but beyond that the salesperson wasn't even sure whether the grill would have the fillers or the "belt". I have read of some people here getting the "filler" panels and then painting them black so it looks like one big grill, but my question remains-- why all the different types of grills mentioned above and which one comes on the S4?
Old 08-26-2013, 08:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2014 S4 grill is exactly like the 2013, the middle part covering the crash bar behind it is painted gray. Lots of folks cover up the gray with matte black tape so it has the look you are after of a single frame grill. Why Audi didn't paint the middle part matte black is a total mystery.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:25 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2014 looked exactly like that shown on the S4 configurator before I modified it.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Monsoon
2014 S4 grill is exactly like the 2013, the middle part covering the crash bar behind it is painted gray. Lots of folks cover up the gray with matte black tape so it has the look you are after of a single frame grill. Why Audi didn't paint the middle part matte black is a total mystery.
Ok, so that explains the "single large grille" look. Funny how the configurator doesn't show the grey fill panels.

Any DIY tips for the paint/vinyl tape? I'm currently torn between going that route or buying the RS4 style grille from ECS tuning, I'm just not sure which will look better on my car. Picking up my S4 this Friday (hopefully). I got a:

2014 S4 Premium +
estoril blue metallic
black/silver alcantara interior
Beaufort wood with layered aluminum trim
MMI
B&O stereo upgrade
19" wheels
sports diff
adaptive suspension
Alu-optic package
Old 08-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you get the RS4 grille from us you will not regret it!

Below are a few pictures of our white 2013 S4 with it installed.

Jason

Last edited by ECS Tuning-Audi; 08-26-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning-Audi

Jason
Yes, I am tempted and seriously thinking about it. Only things holding me back are:

1) Audi dealership won't do the install because it's not an OEM part. Looked up an Audi shop and they quoted 3 hours of labor at $120/hour to do the install which seemed kind of long/high

2) I've seen pictures of the RS grill on a clean white and black car and it looks great, I'm just not sure how good it will look on my Estoril blue, particularly since I got the alu-optic package rather than the opti-black. Essentially this grill would be the only solid black piece on a blue car with a lot of aluminum trim. I'm sure it will look good, just not sure how good and/or if it will look better than the stock grill with the grey plates blacked out.

#2 Is more of an inhibiting factor than #1-- I don't mind paying for something that looks sweet. Would love to see pics of an Estoril blue (or some other blue) along with this grill if someone out there owns one..
Old 08-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

No worries! This grille comes in chrome/aluminum trim as well!

If you click on the picture I posted it will take you to both options.

We also have a complete step by step how-to installation guide! If you or a friend can change a tire you can likely install this grille.

Below is the link to the installation guide. Why spend money on something you could do yourself!

Click HERE for install instructions.

If you have any other questions regarding the grille, installation, or tools needed let me know and I'll be able to help!

Jason
Old 08-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can the Audi grilles get any larger or more hideous. Just my opinion. Remember, I hate the original b8 grille as well.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning-Audi

Jason
Jason,

Do you have this grille in silver mesh with chrome frame like the one found in a red RS5? The two options you have on your website has a black mesh. My S4 is Phantom Black and I think the RS4 grille would look better if it was a silver mesh as opposed to black. *shrug* Do you have a picture of a black A4/S4 with the black mesh and chrome frame?

Fred
Old 09-03-2013, 06:24 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by AudiS4TheWin
Jason,

Do you have this grille in silver mesh with chrome frame like the one found in a red RS5? The two options you have on your website has a black mesh. My S4 is Phantom Black and I think the RS4 grille would look better if it was a silver mesh as opposed to black. *shrug* Do you have a picture of a black A4/S4 with the black mesh and chrome frame?

Fred
Fred,

Unfortunately we do not have an aftermarket one that looks like the RS5 grille. Your only options would be either A) purchase a genuine RS5 grille $$$$$$$ or B) purchase an aftermarket one with chrome trim and paint it to match the genuine grille $$$

Unfortunately the only pics we have of a B8.5 facelift vehicle are in white. If you use Google image I'm betting you could find something.

Jason

Quick Reply: 2014 S4 Grill Question