S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

3.0 TFSI - fuel octan number

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 07:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.0 TFSI - fuel octan number

Hello guys, first .. i am sorry for my not best english ). I have few questions about octan number for this engine. I have S5 sportback (same engine) and my car dealer told me that i have to take always gas with octan number 95 or car engine could be damaged in future (if i always will take only 98 octan fuel).

My another question is - Do you use on your car only 95 octan fuel, or did you try higher number? Is any difference in boost or it is same power like 95 octan? And of course .. is it safe to tank higher octan number for this engine?

thank you very much !

Kojotous, Slovakia
Old 08-28-2010, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

See below
Originally Posted by Kojotous
Hello guys, first .. i am sorry for my not best english ). I have few questions about octan number for this engine. I have S5 sportback (same engine) and my car dealer told me that i have to take always gas with octan number 95 or car engine could be damaged in future (if i always will take only 98 octan fuel).
I use only the higher 93 Octane (RON/MON)/2 here in the states rather than 91(your 95) which is less commonly available and sometimes the same price as 93.
My another question is - Do you use on your car only 95 octan fuel, or did you try higher number? Is any difference in boost or it is same power like 95 octan? And of course .. is it safe to tank higher octan number for this engine?
I see no problem using either grades. Perhaps others can comment on the ability for the S4 EFI system to sense and optimize mileage/performance between 93/98 and 91/95 grades. I do not feel a difference burning 93 over 91. No waiting with either
thank you very much !

Kojotous, Slovakia
Old 08-28-2010, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 274 Likes on 201 Posts

We only have 91 octane in California, runs fine. I think this fuel is similar to the 95 octane Euro Petrol you have. Look inside your gas cap cover, it should list the minimum octane required.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by m444
We only have 91 octane in California, runs fine. I think this fuel is similar to the 95 octane Euro Petrol you have. Look inside your gas cap cover, it should list the minimum octane required.
thank you for reply . Yep, on cover of gas cap is writen 91-95 octan number (for europe). Ahh didnt know that you in USA dont have higher octan number, so its impossible to test in your country fuel with 91+ (95 euro) octan? Interesting ...

Ok, rather i will stay at my 95
Old 08-28-2010, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you located and what are your fuel octane options in your area ?

Octane rating is relative to your location, mainly elevation. Most ECUs in today's cars are capable of adjusting engine timing to suit the fuel to a certain extend, but it is still wise to use the fuel recommended in the OM unless they are not available. And yes, long term use of improper fuel can lead to engine damage.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Europe uses RON, North America uses Octane.

Octane will usually be 2-3 points lower than the RON rating, but they are calculated and not a straight differencein ranges.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kojotous
thank you for reply . Yep, on cover of gas cap is writen 91-95 octan number (for europe). Ahh didnt know that you in USA dont have higher octan number, so its impossible to test in your country fuel with 91+ (95 euro) octan? Interesting ...

Ok, rather i will stay at my 95
I think you misunderstood. We do have a higher octane gas in the US, the most they sell at the pump in California is 91. 93 octane is routine in other states, and some places even sell 100+ octane at the pump.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i believe the US uses the average of the RON (research octane number), and the MON (motor octane number). This is called the Anti-knock index.

Hence the formula label on the pump : "R+M/2"
Old 08-30-2010, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IAS5
i believe the US uses the average of the RON (research octane number), and the MON (motor octane number). This is called the Anti-knock index.

Hence the formula label on the pump : "R+M/2"
You are correct sir! (but I think you knew that already)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Researc...rement_methods
Old 08-30-2010, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i'm sure you knew it too .... just wanted to clarify a bit for the OP....

Quick Reply: 3.0 TFSI - fuel octan number