S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film

So, I am trying to figure out the best products to use to enhance the life of my new S4. I would like to get some opinions from people that have more experience with stuff like 3M style clear bras and liquid products like Zaino. Whats the best way to protect the finish on the vehicle? Should I use a clear bra system for the high impact areas or just skip it and go with the liquid/wax protectants? Do the products work well together?

My previous car was a 2006 Mazda 3 so I am not as versed in auto protection as I would like to be. Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely get a clear bra. I'd advise full hood, fenders, headlights, and A-pillars/front section of roof if you can afford it.

As far as the actual film, I'd suggest Avery Dennison Nano Fusion. That's what I've got on mine. It's clear, has no texture, and doesn't scratch at all.

I also have 7 layers of Zaino on my car from my detailer. Whether or not you put it on your clear bra depends upon what film you use and whether it has a clearcoat layer.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went with the clear bra - the road rash damage to my previous 335i coupe was substantial. I also did the 3M paint, leather and carpet protection. Not sure that was a good idea. Huge markup in that business and a good wax or silicone sealer would have done the trick. I got them to throw the clear bra in during final negotiations.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got Ventureshield and 35% tint almost immediately.

Totally worth it.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2774140
Old 02-19-2011, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 273 Likes on 200 Posts

Within a few weeks of B8 S4 ownership, I had 3M VentureShield custom installed on the whole front end (since the car is white, has no line on hood fenders). Some installers don't like VentureShield since it is more difficult to install.

This is a good place to get info on detailing;

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/auto-detailing-discussion-31/

There is a lot of info on the TintDude forum;

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php?showforum=321

Xpel makes a protection sealant for the PPF. One needs to use compatible supplies on PPF.

https://www.xpel.com/products/Tools_...cts&pn=R1326-2
Old 02-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a clear bra on my last car and it was worth every penny. I put a new clear bra on the new S4 within 2 weeks of owning it. If you do it yourself, get some help for the hood piece. It's really big, so it was really hard to allign by myself.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by davesoly
I had a clear bra on my last car and it was worth every penny. I put a new clear bra on the new S4 within 2 weeks of owning it. If you do it yourself, get some help for the hood piece. It's really big, so it was really hard to allign by myself.
Davesoly, which ppf brand did u go for? Ive been debating for a while whether or not to get one on my ibis because I'm worried about yellowing over time. How's it hold up so far?
Old 02-19-2011, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by maverick112
Davesoly, which ppf brand did u go for? Ive been debating for a while whether or not to get one on my ibis because I'm worried about yellowing over time. How's it hold up so far?
I am not speaking from experience but from what I've gathered while doing some homework to figure out which brand to use. From what I can tell the best brand to go with is Ventureshield. It looks to me like Ventureshield was a competitor for 3M's product so 3M bought them out, but the product is still the best choice. It doesn't yellow like 3M's Scotchguard film. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here!
Old 02-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've bought several kits from the ClearMask website and they've all worked great. From my experience, they will all slightly yellow over time. But the beauty of the stuff is that you can just peel it off after a couple years and put a new one on.

It adds piece of mind, and you'll be glad you did it the first time you end up stuck behind a truck that's kicking up rocks or when a piece of wood comes flying across the freeway.

As far as how mine has held up... It lasted for years on my e46 M3 and still looked good on the day I sold it (no noticeable yellowing on the light silver paint). I haven't even had my S4 for 2 months yet, so the PPF is obviously still clear.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have venturshield on ibis. Installed in August 2010 and it's starting to yellow a bit. Have to look closely but after 6 months it's a little quicker than I was expecting. My VS also has a small red stain mark from a bug splatter days after install, it was not left on for an unusually long amount of time before being washed.

When 3m bought VS, they took away the lifetime warranty and made it 5 years. There are also many complaints by installers about reduced film quality/adhesive clarity on VS now that 3m owns them (apparently they changed the adhesive on the film). Who knows for sure.

I've heard very good things about Avery nanofusion but couldn't find anyone who installed the stuff in my area since it was so new. There is supposed to be less orange peel texture with nano and less likely to stain. Don't have any first hand experience with the stuff so don't know for sure...

Any PPF is better than no PPF so don't stress too much about it

Quick Reply: 3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film