S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

5,000 Mile Service and other random maintenance comments

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Smith837
Glad to hear the service and oil sample request went well.

Still monitoring my coolant level in the expansion tank just to make sure there's no leak. It appears to be ~1/16" below the min line when the engine is cool (after sitting overnight), 1/4" to 3/8" above the min line when the engine is warm (a few minutes after starting), and slightly above halfway between min/max after some driving. I'm OK with it being lower than others have reported, as long as this is within the acceptable range. Once I'm confident all's well though (no loss of level), will have them top it off just to be safe.

Thanks for the update!
Just wanted to report back on my coolant level. A few days have past since the post above, and the level when cold is now closer to 1/4" below the min line. I'm not sure if this is normal fluctuation, but seems to suggest that the level is gradually falling. I'm having my dealer look tomorrow, but any thoughts on whether it's safe to drive some distance tonight?
Old 06-07-2010, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should be fine if it's dropping that slowly, if it gets too low the car will tell you and you can pull over and call roadside assist for free.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before my 5,000 mile service my coolant was at the min line...and it really never fluctuated that much. Now it's at the top line (full?) and it might fluctuate a 1/2 inch when cold vs hot. So not seeing much change in the level. But I know it's not dropping.

You should be good to go with a slow change...but I'd have it checked out. Coolant fluid is not there to be consumed, or leaked.

If you are not seeing any below the car after you park it then it might be slowly leaking while you drive and the engine is really hot. This is a bit of a mystery.

Please keep us posted.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks guys. You both always seem to have my back! I'll be sure to report back tomorrow after the dealer visit.

PS: No visible coolant in my garage or anywhere else. I have read in another post that it might not be uncommon for it to "eat coolant" when the engine is young, but can't confirm whether this theory holds water, um, I mean coolant.

Last edited by Smith837; 06-07-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just reporting back. Had the car over at my dealer this afternoon. They didn't seem concerned about the coolant -- said "you'd know" if there was a problem (i.e., I'd smell coolant -- a sweet smell). They also said that sometimes there are air pockets in the system and that while the factory does what it can to get them all out, it doesn't always happen.

We didn't do a full test of the coolant system (they didn't seem to think it was necessary... yet), but they offered to top it off to the max line -- I will continue to monitor the level. Noticed that the tech used Audi Coolant Antifreeze with the number G 012AG81G on the container. I asked the tech if there were different kinds of coolant (as the Owner's Manual mentions G12++, G12+, G12). The answer I got was kind of a "dunno, but this is the pink stuff we use". Was given the sense that it's what they use in all models/cars they service. Curious if anyone can shed light on this -- mostly want to confirm that the right stuff's going in, and that there isn't a "better" coolant that should be going in the S4.

UPDATE: After some research, my sense is that G12++ replaced G12+ which replaced G12. They are forward compatible, but are NOT 3 kinds of currently available coolant. Is this correct?

Last edited by Smith837; 06-11-2010 at 05:29 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just got my car back from 5k service and noticed the oil meter is showing half full (or half empty for you pessimists). Is this normal? For anyone that had 5k service already did you notice oil levels? Called the service rep afterwards and he said it was normal. Seems odd to me. Before I brought the car in it was about 3/4.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That gauge represents the cross hatched area on the dipstick which shows the normal range, this is not the amount of total oil. When it gets near the bottom of this range on the MMI, it's time to add some oil (usually less than a quart).
Old 06-11-2010, 06:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
That gauge represents the cross hatched area on the dipstick which shows the normal range, this is not the amount of total oil. When it gets near the bottom of this range on the MMI, it's time to add some oil (usually less than a quart).
Gotcha. Thanks bud.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just got my 8000km service done. was happy that they remembered to reset the service interval as they were famous for with my '07. The only thing that makes me laugh is that they call you up a couple days later looking for a pat on the back for being able to change the oil. Hate to see how long they would want to talk to me if they did some transmission work etc.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 6600Mi... and Pink Liquid Leak (Coolant Mix)

Just got 6600 mi on my 2013 S4.... saw a puddle of Pink fluid on the garage floor.... it feels like oil.. and smell exactly like Coolant..

So I call dealer... and brought the car in...

They call me next day.. and told me my Oil Cooler is leak and also the coolant is leaking... ?????

I won't have the exact detail until i got the car back..

Quick Reply: 5,000 Mile Service and other random maintenance comments