S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

6 Speed Manual or the S-Tronic (Long - sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have driven manual shift Audi's for 15 yrs, but now love the S-Tronic. I too agonized over giving up the third pedal, but to my surprise I haven't really missed it at all.

For me, it came down to the following:

1) This car is plain fun to drive in so many ways, and I don't seem to need the action of throwing a stick shift around to keep me engaged.

2) I'm sure there are some talented drivers out there who can perform as well as or better than the S-Tronic, but I don't think I'm among them. You mention not planning to track the car, but I did drive an S4 with S-Tronic on a track and that experience convinced me that I would actually choose it for the track.

FWIW, the convenience factor didn't really enter into it for me; I've never minded pressing a clutch in stop-and-go traffic -- the action is so automatic for me that I don't even notice it. But it has been a nice bonus to be able to take my car out for an evening, have a few drinks, and let my better half drive me home. That wasn't a possibility with a manual.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

- Off Topic -

Hi NowIsGood,
your signature is interesting.

What is your 1996 A4 3.2?
I can think of three possibilities:

1) Typo, and it is actually a 2.8, or not a '96
2) You bored and stroked the 2.8 to 3.2 (but I've never heard anyone do this)
3) You dropped a new 3.2 V6 in to the B5 chassis (unlikely)

So is it one of the unlikely guesses, or something more amazing or just a typo? I'm intrigued.

- On Topic -
I'm having a hard enough time choosing a car, let alone a transmission. I feel lucky to have such options, but frustrated at my inability to make the call. I'm not one to switch cars often (much like the OP) so I'm battling with the knowledge that my decision will resonate for 7 or 8 years to come.

From all of the posts here, it sounds like the S-Tronic (DSG) makes a strong case for itself. At the same time years (14 in my case) of driving a manual (38 yrs for another member!) is tough to 'let go of'.

Best of luck

James
Old 02-05-2010, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rktskicar
from your tone, sounds like you have an S-Tronic. At least put your current config in your sig, so I or others do not have to ask dumb questions like this.

Bruce
I haven't ordered my car yet Bruce, waiting to see MY2011 changes before making a decision. I have however driven both transmission flavors for several hours in test drives and am pretty confident about my choice for S-tronic when the time comes.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I've always sworn by manual cars. But it only took me a test drive of a 6MT S4 and an Stronic S4 to make up my mind. The DCT seems like a much more complete package for a car like the S4, which is by no means a high strung sports car. The boost felt like it was always on with the DCT and the unit was very good at predicting what gear to be in. Is it as fun as the 6MT? Maybe not quite, but the instant shifts and "burpy" exhaust are pretty fun to me.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wonder about the folks who are die-hard manual drivers and change their minds after a test drive of the S-tronic. Sure, the glitzy new transmission seems fantastic when you get a brief taste, but how satisfied are those same folks after a year of driving their auto tranny?

I'm not faulting anybody for choosing the S-tronic over a manual, as from a pure performance standpoint it seems to beat the MT. I'm just wondering if there is a bit of attraction to the sexy new technology that might fade over time for some folks.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Hobbes
I wonder about the folks who are die-hard manual drivers and change their minds after a test drive of the S-tronic. Sure, the glitzy new transmission seems fantastic when you get a brief taste, but how satisfied are those same folks after a year of driving their auto tranny?

I'm not faulting anybody for choosing the S-tronic over a manual, as from a pure performance standpoint it seems to beat the MT. I'm just wondering if there is a bit of attraction to the sexy new technology that might fade over time for some folks.
That's possible. However, power steering hasn't faded for me after 20 years of driving with it so I don't expect that now that the automatic transmission is perfected it is going to fade much either.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NS2000X
- Off Topic -

What is your 1996 A4 3.2?
Yep, sorry, just a blundering typo. Probably due to the regret I had of not getting the 3.2 in 2007. I've corrected my sig.

If you love driving a manual transmission, I think you'll be very happy with a 6MT S4. If there's no compelling reason for you to get the S-Tronic, don't. But if you're drawn to it for any reason, I think it's most likely that like many of us "stick shift forever" fans, you'll be surprisingly happy with this new breed of automatic.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hobbes

I drove both and still preferred the manual. The S tronic was nice, but didn't really thrill me. I agree with a comment on the first page that the manual is just ok for a manual. I liked the feel of the manual in the Acura TL I drove for comparison.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerepjd
Hello all,

Finally got the go ahead from the wife to get a new car and after much deliberation I've decided on the new S4. I've gone through a couple of forums and have been absorbing information like a sponge.

I'm going all out and getting the car fully loaded. Normally I'd be a little more picky and doing the whole pro/con thing, but since I've been informed with this purchase, I'm going to be driving this car until non-repairable mechanical failure, or "act of god" totaling the vehicle out.

My main dilemma is whether to get the manual or s-tronic transmission. I don't plan on tracking the car, more of a daily driver, with the occasional session of spirited driving, and long road trip. I like the manual for the sense of control and being able to hold a gear if I want, or use selective engine braking with the clutch to aid in slowing down or stopping.

The s-tronic would be nice because I've been stuck in forever traffic (San Francisco, and L.A.) and I enjoy being able to feel my left leg and not look like some kind of gym freak that only works out one leg.

Looking at what most of you are driving it seems to be a pretty even mix of manual and s-tronic. I'm not really sold one way or the other. Favoring the manual since that's pretty much all I've ever driven. That and I always looked at automatics being used by old or lazy people (no offense intended), but since the s-tronic can up shift faster than I can, and rev matches for me on the downshift (never could get the hang of blipping the throttle) it bears some looking into. Plus, the ride will have to be more comfortable then my 04 STi.

Thanks in advance
There used to be a time when manual transmissions clearly had a performance advantage over an automatic and provided better gas mileage as well. Technology has caught up and this is no longer the case.

Still, the computer controlled manuals available in cars today still do not provide the tactile connection to your car that a manual transmision does. The manual does what I want when I want, with no interference or second guessing. I can feel what the engine is doing when I interact with the clutch and shifter.

While the automated manuals are a big improvement overall, and have slight performance advantage, they do not connect you with your car as well as a pure traditional manual.

It is inevitable, however, that over time, the traditional manual transmission will be a thing of the past. For now, however, there is still no substitute, for me, to a traditional manual if the choice is there and you don't have to deal with heavy commuter traffic.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vijay
There used to be a time when manual transmissions clearly had a performance advantage over an automatic and provided better gas mileage as well. Technology has caught up and this is no longer the case.

Still, the computer controlled manuals available in cars today still do not provide the tactile connection to your car that a manual transmision does. The manual does what I want when I want, with no interference or second guessing. I can feel what the engine is doing when I interact with the clutch and shifter.

While the automated manuals are a big improvement overall, and have slight performance advantage, they do not connect you with your car as well as a pure traditional manual.

It is inevitable, however, that over time, the traditional manual transmission will be a thing of the past. For now, however, there is still no substitute, for me, to a traditional manual if the choice is there and you don't have to deal with heavy commuter traffic.
+1

Quick Reply: 6 Speed Manual or the S-Tronic (Long - sorry)