S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

7500 mile oil changes and AudiCare

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7500 mile oil changes and AudiCare

I know that the 10k mile oil change is optional, but seems like a lot of you still get the oil change done every 7,500 miles. Since my last oil change was at 5k miles, if I do the 12,500 mile oil change, does AudiCare mandate that I do the oil change at 15k miles again (just another 2.5k miles later)? Or can I bring it in at 20k miles and get the AudiCare oil change then?
Old 05-03-2011, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ssaa77
I know that the 10k mile oil change is optional, but seems like a lot of you still get the oil change done every 7,500 miles. Since my last oil change was at 5k miles, if I do the 12,500 mile oil change, does AudiCare mandate that I do the oil change at 15k miles again (just another 2.5k miles later)? Or can I bring it in at 20k miles and get the AudiCare oil change then?
They will do it whenever you bring the car in. But why wait to 7,500 miles to do the oil change...if you are going to do oil changes more frequently, then I would do your next oil change at 10,000 miles, then do the AudiCare at 15,000, then do another one at 20,000, etc.

I do mine every 6-7,000 miles and I get each oil change analyzed.

Direct injected cars shred oil.

I would also find out what kind of oil, be very specific, the dealership is using for the Audicare changes. If you don't like the oil they use and would like to upgrade it then I don't see why they would have a problem using the oil you bring in....that way you can be sure to use the same oil in your car no matter who is doing the oil change.

If AudiCare expires at 45,000 miles, then you will get 4 free oil changes w/ this program. You might as well get your money's worth and equalize the miles between changes.

If you don't care about getting all 4 oil changes...then you can bring it in when you want...but I would document your 7,500 mile oil changes for the dealership.

...those are my thoughts.

Last edited by redrocker55; 05-03-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am planning to do 2500, 5000, and every 5000 thereafter. The SA told me that they use only Syntec 5/40 so I bought a quart to have on hand just in case.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Goony
I am planning to do 2500, 5000, and every 5000 thereafter. The SA told me that they use only Syntec 5/40 so I bought a quart to have on hand just in case.
I did mine at 10K, then Audicare at 15K, I am almost at 20K and will do another. I plan to keep this car a while and it is a small expense to ensure it's well taken care of.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I have 12k miles on it right now, and the last oil change was at 5k. Debating on getting it changed in 500 miles (thus 7500 mile intervals) and then waiting again until 20k. I guess the feedback is that I get 4 oil changes regardless of when I want them, but that I should just go ahead and get the oil changed now.

"Optional" oil changes by the dealer just doesn't make sense to me :-)

NWS4Guy - do you get all your oil changes/work done at the dealer?
Old 05-03-2011, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to ask a noob question here but why are the oil changes so far apart for Audi care? The first 5k miles (isnt 5k alot?) and then 10k miles for each one after?!? are we supposed to do an oil change ourselves in between each audi care visit?

And I thought its every 3k miles that your'e supposed to do oil changes. Forgive me but I'm confused...
Old 05-03-2011, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FatalBert
Sorry to ask a noob question here but why are the oil changes so far apart for Audi care? The first 5k miles (isnt 5k alot?) and then 10k miles for each one after?!? are we supposed to do an oil change ourselves in between each audi care visit?

And I thought its every 3k miles that your'e supposed to do oil changes. Forgive me but I'm confused...
You're missing the important point.......Audi recommends specific criteria full synthetic oil. IMO, the 5K initial interval is to get the "break in" material out of the oil and the 10K interval becomes the standard after that.

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
I did mine at 10K, then Audicare at 15K, I am almost at 20K and will do another. I plan to keep this car a while and it is a small expense to ensure it's well taken care of.
I didn't get Audicare so I'll do my own schedule. I know that many will debunk the "break in" oil theory but the 2500 initial interval has served me well on the past two turbocharged cars. I'll do the first Blackstone at 5000 and see what it says. So far, no oil consumption after 700 miles.....which is a good sign.

In addition, I am a low mileage driver which further negates any consideration for the Audicare. I sold my previous car after almost 7 years and a bit over 44K miles.

Last edited by Goony; 05-03-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Goony
You're missing the important point.......Audi recommends specific criteria full synthetic oil. IMO, the 5K initial interval is to get the "break in" material out of the oil and the 10K interval becomes the standard after that.

I didn't get Audicare so I'll do my own schedule. I know that many will debunk the "break in" oil theory but the 2500 initial interval has served me well on the past two turbocharged cars. I'll do the first Blackstone at 5000 and see what it says. So far, no oil consumption after 700 miles.....which is a good sign.

In addition, I am a low mileage driver which further negates any consideration for the Audicare. I sold my previous car after almost 7 years and a bit over 44K miles.
Audi doesnt use break in oil. The motors are run in and drained and refilled in quality control. They analyze the oil at the factory.

The 12-25 miles your car has on it when its delivered is from the break in process on the rollers (looks like a dyno). Along with port miles and PDI miles.

Let me see if I can find a pic of when I was at the factory a few years back

OH I do agree with you about not waiting more then 5-7K even on the synthetic oil changes. No doubt about that.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ssaa77
So I have 12k miles on it right now, and the last oil change was at 5k. Debating on getting it changed in 500 miles (thus 7500 mile intervals) and then waiting again until 20k. I guess the feedback is that I get 4 oil changes regardless of when I want them, but that I should just go ahead and get the oil changed now.

"Optional" oil changes by the dealer just doesn't make sense to me :-)

NWS4Guy - do you get all your oil changes/work done at the dealer?
Oh hell no, not at the dealer. I like my dealer just fine for things that are covered, don't get me wrong, but I use a great Inde shop, just on the north end of the plateau actually - Redmond European, really a great shop and guys, they are all owners of older Audi, Porsche, and VW's. They are right at the intersection of E Lake Samm and 202, kitty corner from Les Schwab
Old 05-03-2011, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Carguy19
Audi doesnt use break in oil. The motors are run in and drained and refilled in quality control. They analyze the oil at the factory.

The 12-25 miles your car has on it when its delivered is from the break in process on the rollers (looks like a dyno). Along with port miles and PDI miles.

Let me see if I can find a pic of when I was at the factory a few years back

OH I do agree with you about not waiting more then 5-7K even on the synthetic oil changes. No doubt about that.
So oil changes every 5k are the safest bet?
what type of oil do people generally use here? I would like to treat the car the best possible.

Quick Reply: 7500 mile oil changes and AudiCare