S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

AC/climate control symbols

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC/climate control symbols

Anyone able to either point me in a direction to get help or just answer a few q's? When adjusting the fan control settings (ie feet, dash, defrost, etc) I cant really figure out exactly what the symbols mean. I get a rough idea but it seems a little more confusing than any other car I have driven.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll see what I can find, though I just use Auto, and let it do what it needs to - very efficient this way and I don't ever need to touch or alter the vents it uses, fan speed or anything other than just the Temperature - the rest is "automagic!"
Old 04-13-2010, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
I'll see what I can find, though I just use Auto, and let it do what it needs to - very efficient this way and I don't ever need to touch or alter the vents it uses, fan speed or anything other than just the Temperature - the rest is "automagic!"
autoMAGIC, thats classic!!
Old 04-13-2010, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

you should see little symbols up in your MMI when adjusting it manually. These symbols are a little more clear than the ones that show up in the climate control window. The UP arrow is defrost, the SIDEWAYS arrow is dash vents and the DOWN arrow is floor. There are a few different combinations: UP and SIDEWAYS means defrost and dash vents.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky
you should see little symbols up in your MMI when adjusting it manually. These symbols are a little more clear than the ones that show up in the climate control window. The UP arrow is defrost, the SIDEWAYS arrow is dash vents and the DOWN arrow is floor. There are a few different combinations: UP and SIDEWAYS means defrost and dash vents.
Yep this is correct.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky
Thanks guys! Last question about this system: Can you vary the fan speed from passenger and driver or is it set to be equal fan strength/speed on both sides at all times?
Side note: never thought my '05 Acura TL would seem slow, bu now I have seen the light! S is for steroids!
Old 04-13-2010, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Garett31
S is for steroids!
lol. I haven't tried just fan speed, but definitely you can customize climate control for each individual side, which leads me to assume that you can adjust fan speeds for both driver and passenger, separately. Take a peek at the manual and it will explain how to adjust.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Fan speed and everything operates independant of sides in the front, unless you have both thermostats synched.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

if you are not using the Auto setting and you have manually selected where you want the air to go, you can then manually set the fan speed. this is independent for both sides. push the "fan" button and turn the **** to get the desired fan speed (both sides have their own "fan" button).

check out this website: http://microsites.audi.com/campaigns...it/A4x_en.htmlyou can actually play with the different settings and you will get a visual indication of what you have set. kinda cool.

Last edited by mellow_sparky; 04-13-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mellow...nice link! ...wish we had cooled seats...I'm gonna miss that feature. But then again...now my wife will be happy (or maybe me) since we both have incredible control of each sides of the car from a climate perspective. Thanks for the link!

Quick Reply: AC/climate control symbols