S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Acceleration Lag or Hesitation 2012 S4

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Acceleration Lag or Hesitation 2012 S4

Hi

I have a 2012 S4 Premium Plus Automatic, there's about 1100 miles on my odometer. A few weeks ago I noticed an acceleration lag when I'm at a stop light or stop sign. I'll hit the gas pedal and I get no pickup, all of a sudden the car jerks forward. I get this in all different ADS settings. It's almost like driving a go cart and it takes a split second for the car to realize I hit the gas before it moves. Has anyone heard similar complaints? It really only happens in 1st gear and even when I'm using the paddle shifters I get the same issues.

tHANKS
Old 01-26-2012, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybar
Hi

I have a 2012 S4 Premium Plus Automatic, there's about 1100 miles on my odometer. A few weeks ago I noticed an acceleration lag when I'm at a stop light or stop sign. I'll hit the gas pedal and I get no pickup, all of a sudden the car jerks forward. I get this in all different ADS settings. It's almost like driving a go cart and it takes a split second for the car to realize I hit the gas before it moves. Has anyone heard similar complaints? It really only happens in 1st gear and even when I'm using the paddle shifters I get the same issues.

tHANKS
Your car has a dual clutch tranny and not a torque converter so it is not a "automatic"... To answer your question that is 100% the norm... There is a slight delay leaving the line...
Old 01-26-2012, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by primetime
Your car has a dual clutch tranny and not a torque converter so it is not a "automatic"... To answer your question that is 100% the norm... There is a slight delay leaving the line...
Primetime- So off the starting line it's normal that my car hesitates and jerks forward? It really doesn't feel natural, and the car wasn't doing it the first 800 miles I drove the car. I will monitor it for a few days then might take a trip to audi to get it serviced.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Primetime- So off the starting line it's normal that my car hesitates and jerks forward? It really doesn't feel natural, and the car wasn't doing it the first 800 miles I drove the car. I will monitor it for a few days then might take a trip to audi to get it serviced.
Yes, as you describe it it's normal... do you have a gopro? If so make a quick vid... I'll look for one of my vids later when I get home and see if I can illustrate... But yes there is a delay from mashing the pedal to actually moving...
Old 01-26-2012, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say my car picks up off the line nicely. But its rare that I floor it at a light... I normally stop pushing the peddle just before the kickdown switch..
Old 01-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The DSG has its quirks...being a bit jerky at times is one of them. Perhaps if you knew how it worked you could understand it a little better:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox

Since there is no torque converter like primetime mentioned, the engine is physically disconnected from the transmission when you foot is on the brake at a stop. The momentary delay you feel is the TCU engaging the clutch much like a human would do in a manual car (by letting the clutch pedal out). The faster and harder you apply the throttle the more aggressively the TCU engages the clutch and a bigger jerk off the line is felt.

You don't feel this delay in an automatic because the engine is always connected to the transmission (in Drive) via the torque converter which is a viscous coupling (unlocked) at a stop. It is always applying torque to the transmission and wheels - even if you are stopped, but with your foot on the brake it easily can overcome it and the engine's small torque at idle is converted to wasted heat. With a DSG no energy is wasted in this regard.

Last edited by CJ_S4; 01-26-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CJ_S4
The DSG has its quirks...being a bit jerky at times is one of them. Perhaps if you knew how it worked you could understand it a little better:

Since there is no torque converter like primetime mentioned, the engine is physically disconnected from the transmission when you foot is on the brake at a stop. The momentary delay you feel is the TCU engaging the clutch much like a human would do in a manual car (by letting the clutch pedal out). The faster and harder you apply the throttle the more aggressively the TCU engages the clutch and a bigger jerk off the line is felt.

You don't feel this delay in an automatic because the engine is always connected to the transmission (in Drive) via the torque converter which is a viscous coupling (unlocked) at a stop. It is always applying torque to the transmission and wheels - even if you are stopped, but with your foot on the brake it easily can overcome it and the engine's small torque at idle is converted to wasted heat. With a DSG no energy is wasted in this regard.
+1

I've always seen it as an automated manual and expected it to feel similar... Hitting the gas from a stop and dropping the clutch feels the same in my DSG car. =) I guess coming from an automatic you would expect to feel something smoother?
Old 01-26-2012, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CJ_S4

And this is the biggest quirk/disadvantage of the DSG

Relatively lengthy shift time when shifting to a gear ratio which the transmission ECU did not anticipate (around 1100 ms, depending on the situation)
Old 01-26-2012, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks guys, that wiki link is very helpful. I don't have a go pro but I have a little flip camera. I'll see if I can safely shoot a quick video.

I guess I'll ease up on the gas pedal a bit and see if it helps out. Even when I'm in what appears to be in 2nd gear and hit the gas harder I get the jerk. I read somewhere online of others having similar issues and software updates fixed the issue. However, I don't believe everything I read online!

I haven't driven a manual transmission in years. When I'm using my paddle shifters is it best to ease up on the gas as I shift gears? I noticed a poof noise when shifting gears if I don't ease up as much. As you can tell I'm new at all the car lingo!

thanks 4 the help
Old 01-26-2012, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks guys, that wiki link is very helpful. I don't have a go pro but I have a little flip camera. I'll see if I can safely shoot a quick video.

I guess I'll ease up on the gas pedal a bit and see if it helps out. Even when I'm in what appears to be in 2nd gear and hit the gas harder I get the jerk. I read somewhere online of others having similar issues and software updates fixed the issue. However, I don't believe everything I read online!

I haven't driven a manual transmission in years. When I'm using my paddle shifters is it best to ease up on the gas as I shift gears? I noticed a poof noise when shifting gears if I don't ease up as much. As you can tell I'm new at all the car lingo!

thanks 4 the help
I personally don't ease up on the gas... when shifting..
The poof noise are you talking about from the exhaust?
Edit:
Chances are your hearing the rev matching..

Last edited by TO407S4; 01-26-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Acceleration Lag or Hesitation 2012 S4