S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Acceleration Lag or Hesitation 2012 S4

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybar
I noticed a poof noise when shifting gears if I don't ease up as much. As you can tell I'm new at all the car lingo!

thanks 4 the help
ahhhhh...the DSG fart. it's normal and I love it...good explanation here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=21
Old 01-26-2012, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here's a good clip of the DSG fart (namely my car taking off on the hot lane during a track day):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCXk6ym9eYE

Skip to 1:45... And again at 2:32...

Last edited by PsYkHoTiK; 01-26-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Moral of story: If you want control and a smooth take off, get an MT.

The drive by wire stuff nowadays combined with DSG leaves too much of a disconnected feel with any brand of vehicle.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Evlengr

The drive by wire stuff nowadays combined with DSG leaves too much of a disconnected feel with any brand of vehicle.
As a MT owner, I actually don't think that the DSG diminishes the experience or control all that much. Could it use some tweaks? Yes. However, there isn't a clear winner as there are pros and cons to each transmission.

I think that you see the most complaints about the DSG (S-Tronic) coming from drivers comparing their experience with torque converter automatics. Once they understand what the DSG is doing then the feeling of being connected with the car becomes greater.

FYI, I drive both a DSG (Jetta) and a MT (S4).
Old 01-29-2012, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah the days of cable and linkage throttle control. While antiquated today there wasn't a more direct connected feeling to controlling the throttle.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TO407S4
I personally don't ease up on the gas... when shifting..
The poof noise are you talking about from the exhaust?
Edit:
Chances are your hearing the rev matching..
Never, ever lift the throttle when driving the DSG under accel unless you don't want to accel anymore. The TCU and ECU will take care of rev matching, the best way to make it jerk is to lift throttle suddenly when you think it's about to shift. Drive the car like an Auto even though it's got clutches.

I disagree, my DSG is smoother than any 6MT could be without a lot of clutch slippage.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PsYkHoTiK
Here's a good clip of the DSG fart (namely my car taking off on the hot lane during a track day):

1) That is absolutely hilarious!

2) I wanna do a track day too!
Old 01-29-2012, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Bottom line at least we have a choice. I am currently a BMW owner and will not be next year when it comes time for my new car purchase (It will be an S4, hence I prowl here all the time). Between their AT only and stinking RFT's they have lost me as a customer.

Combine that with undisputable superior interior and I am now just biding my time until certain things fall into place (selling my house).

The only rough decision I am going to have is what color I get at this point. Me....I'll go with a stick. Plus if I don't my wife will be pissed. She has a worked MCS and likes to drive to (yeah she's a keeper).
Old 01-29-2012, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PsYkHoTiK

That's just rude, but love how the cameraman chuckles when your car "let's one rip"
Old 01-30-2012, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybar
Hi

I have a 2012 S4 Premium Plus Automatic, there's about 1100 miles on my odometer. A few weeks ago I noticed an acceleration lag when I'm at a stop light or stop sign. I'll hit the gas pedal and I get no pickup, all of a sudden the car jerks forward. I get this in all different ADS settings. It's almost like driving a go cart and it takes a split second for the car to realize I hit the gas before it moves. Has anyone heard similar complaints? It really only happens in 1st gear and even when I'm using the paddle shifters I get the same issues.

tHANKS

"jerk" is the keyword. Its the word that best describes the DSG problem when it does in fact occur. The only other description is when you are first learning how to drive stick. Thats kind of how it feels like and it seems to only happen at a dead stop in the low gears only. It has happened to me many times but I have never been able to duplicate the problem at the dealer.

I did take the car in last week and AUDI stated there is a TSB on it and they flashed the transmission software to correct it. But I really cant be certain it has been resolved because as I said, mosrt of the time it doenst happen but when it does, its very aggravating. Sometimes I think manufacturers just guess to make the customer think the problem has been resoved. I say this because my BNO sound system has had a few glitches and once again, they ordered another amp lasts week when I brought it in for my DSG issue.

Thing is I know for a fact that there are many many different DSG issues so who knows if the software flash resolved thsi particular issue that occurs form a dead stop. We will see if its resolved. If it isnt, then It will be tough to remain confident whenever AUDI claims they have fixed a problem. So here is hoping that they truly got it right this time.

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 01-30-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Acceleration Lag or Hesitation 2012 S4