S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Acceleration Lag or Hesitation 2012 S4

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by primetime
Your car has a dual clutch tranny and not a torque converter so it is not a "automatic"... To answer your question that is 100% the norm... There is a slight delay leaving the line...
No, its not. Not this problem anyway. If it were then you would always experience a delay. We aren talking about a delay, we are talking about a very abnormal thrust or jerky motion and its an issue that doesnt happen often but when it does, you know something is wrong. Even AUDI says its not normal. In fact, there is a TSB out on it and they just flashed my Trans and I sure hope it is resolved. Its too early to tell because you cant duplciate the problem on cue

One thing I have realized in owning almost 30 cars and being on so many car forums is the tendency for owners to just give in. Most owners would rather accept the "Its normal" crap. I guess its easier to believe the "its normal" crap than to endure the uncomfortable feeling that you bought a car that has issues. Well, guess what, I have always been honest with myself and delusional thinking is not a mthod I choose to employ to feel better about a purchase. I dont think any AUDI owner should embrace that kind of thinking. To be passive about the problem only prevents the engineers from AUDI in pursuing a fix.

The S4 is a fabulous car. But AUDI needs to address these kinds of issues.

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 01-30-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you share the TSB number?

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
No, its not. Not this problem anyway. If it were then you would always experience a delay. We aren talking about a delay, we are talking about a very abnormal thrust or jerky motion and its an issue that doesnt happen often but when it does, you know something is wrong. Even AUDI says its not normal. In fact, there is a TSB out on it and they just flashed my Trans and I sure hope it is resolved. Its too early to tell because you cant duplciate the problem on cue
Old 01-30-2012, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mark_nimda

One thing I have realized in owning almost 30 cars and being on so many car forums is the tendency for owners to just give in. Most owners would rather accept the "Its normal" crap. I guess its easier to believe the "its normal" crap than to endure the uncomfortable feeling that you bought a car that has issues. Well, guess what, I have always been honest with myself and delusional thinking is not a mthod I choose to employ to feel better about a purchase. I dont think any AUDI owner should embrace that kind of thinking. To be passive about the problem only prevents the engineers from AUDI in pursuing a fix.

The S4 is a fabulous car. But AUDI needs to address these kinds of issues.

I agree with you. Not Normal. Had/have similar issues. They had performed a DSG adaptive procedure some time ago and that seemed to fix some of the issues I was having. I recently had the 15K service completed and some of the quirks and jerks have returned. The other day as I attempted to go from being at at stop sign, there was kind of a delay engagement and then a real hard slam into gear, I was like WTF was that!!!

Last edited by Christo123; 01-30-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Christo123
The other day as I attempted to go from being at at stop sign, there was kind of a delay engagement and then a real hard slam into gear, I was like WTF was that!!!
It was your S4's way letting you know that you should have gotten a 6MT.

j/k Hopefully you DSG / S-tronic users can get the bugs ironed out.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Christo123
I agree with you. Not Normal. Had/have similar issues. They had performed a DSG adaptive procedure some time ago and that seemed to fix some of the issues I was having. I recently had the 15K service completed and some of the quirks and jerks have returned. The other day as I attempted to go from being at at stop sign, there was kind of a delay engagement and then a real hard slam into gear, I was like WTF was that!!!
I played around a little bit this weekend. The jerkiness mostly happens when I'm at a complete stop and hit the gas. Or if I'm at a low speed in 1st or 2nd gear and hit the gas hard. I can avoid having the car jerk but it doesn't seem normal to have to adjust my driving habits. The DSG wasn't doing this the first 6 or 800 miles so it's something that's more pronounced now that i'm over 1k.

Please pass on the TSB info when you get a chance and I will ask my dealership. When I called them last week the service department hadn't heard of any of throttle response/ jerkiness..
Old 01-30-2012, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dropping the clutch?

Seems like the DSG's processing gets bogged down for a moment and then it realizes "oh sh*t, I should have started doing something by now", and to make up for lost time it drops the clutch, which combined with a decent amount of throttle has the same effect as someone doing the same in an manual trans, which is a hard engagement (BANG) and lurching forward. I have caused this with confusing throttle input to the DSG in the past, moving from 1/2 throttle, to no throttle, to 3/4 throttle within a couple of seconds. Since then, I've been much smoother in my throttle input. At a stop or near stop, if you ease on the throttle as you would a manual, them it seems to remain smooth as well. Sudden throttle changes and the DSG doesn't seem to mix, at least for me with my S4.

In a previously owned manual car, I used to cause the same symptoms when I would drop the clutch trying to take off from the line quickly or doing something like dropping down from 6th to 3rd without rev-matching properly and dropping the clutch... this was back when I wasn't so skilled with a manual. =)
Old 01-31-2012, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Never, ever lift the throttle when driving the DSG under accel unless you don't want to accel anymore. The TCU and ECU will take care of rev matching, the best way to make it jerk is to lift throttle suddenly when you think it's about to shift. Drive the car like an Auto even though it's got clutches.

I disagree, my DSG is smoother than any 6MT could be without a lot of clutch slippage.
NWS4Guy I agree with you and don't pull my foot off the gas. It would confuse the heck out of the car =)
Old 02-11-2012, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I brought my car into Audi a few days ago. I mentioned I was having a delay in my throttle response, which produced a jerkiness. My shifting in 1st and 2nd gears was also not smooth.

Solution: They performed a GFF, no faults were found. Performed a transmission adaption and shifting is much improved. I guess it needed a software update, there is no TSB out for this issue. At least that's what the audi dealer said.

The first thing he asked me was if I drove with 2 feet. I don't but I guess people that do drive with both feet hit the throttle to quickly after releasing the break..
Old 02-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't think that lag is an issue in the S4 s-tronic....most of the time....but you have to be rough with it. When it is in dynamic mode, if you hammer the gas it does just dump the clutch and moves hard. If you are gentle with the gas, then yeah it will lag like hell.

If you are braking and coming to a stop slowly and then floor it just before it comes to a complete stop then it will feel like the car has been rear ended. There is a massive jolt, can't be doing it much good! (probably won't notice this if you don't left foot brake)

The biggest issue I have is the slow as ***** downshift from 2nd gear to 1st.... takes ages sometimes....over 2 seconds it feels like. Audi don't want you to take corners in 1st gear! The upshift from 1st to 2nd is also very harsh, especially at low RPM.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jaybar
I brought my car into Audi a few days ago. I mentioned I was having a delay in my throttle response, which produced a jerkiness. My shifting in 1st and 2nd gears was also not smooth.

Solution: They performed a GFF, no faults were found. Performed a transmission adaption and shifting is much improved. I guess it needed a software update, there is no TSB out for this issue. At least that's what the audi dealer said.

The first thing he asked me was if I drove with 2 feet. I don't but I guess people that do drive with both feet hit the throttle to quickly after releasing the break..
Did it affect the gear change between 1st and 2nd?

Quick Reply: Acceleration Lag or Hesitation 2012 S4