S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Adaptive Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Adaptive Lights

Are the adaptive lights a great option? Do they really make that much of a difference? When do they seem to help?

Last edited by aris4n; 07-26-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aris4n
Are the adaptive lights a great option? Do they really make that much of a difference? When do they seem to help?
Not sure they are not availible in the US. Got them on my wife's SUV, they are good for outside of cities on widing roads, but in the suburbs/city not worth much. Basically they just turn in response to the wheels turning so you can see better around bends.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Not sure they are not availible in the US. Got them on my wife's SUV, they are good for outside of cities on widing roads, but in the suburbs/city not worth much. Basically they just turn in response to the wheels turning so you can see better around bends.
I was wondering this as well and logged onto Audi's website. Looks like they're available for 2012.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by clochner
I was wondering this as well and logged onto Audi's website. Looks like they're available for 2012.
Audi boggles me, they change things every year.

2010 - Nav with Premium Plus gets you backup camera and sensors. If you have Prestige (comes with Nav) you have to buy Side Assist to get camera

2011 - Nav gets camera all around, and Ti package comes out for all models

2012 - Now you can't get Ti unless you get Prestige, but now Adaptive lights are availible
Old 07-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yea i do not understand how my regular B7 has them, but my 55k B8 S4 won't have them (premium plus seems not to get them. only prestige)
Old 07-26-2011, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Pworld
Yea i do not understand how my regular B7 has them, but my 55k B8 S4 won't have them (premium plus seems not to get them. only prestige)
Mainly with the B8, Audi started seriously trimming small things that could save them money. Considering what the rest of the world pays for the same car, the US gets it CHEAP.

For the B8 in the US they cut things like:

Headlamp washers
Auto-folding side mirrors
Under seat bins
Hazard triangle in the trunk
Adaptive lighting
Old 07-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Mainly with the B8, Audi started seriously trimming small things that could save them money. Considering what the rest of the world pays for the same car, the US gets it CHEAP.

For the B8 in the US they cut things like:

Headlamp washers
Auto-folding side mirrors
Under seat bins
Hazard triangle in the trunk
Adaptive lighting
Thanks for reminding me about the folding side mirrors!! I always use those when parking in close quarters in public parking lots, or parking on the street in the hood (kids on bikes have no sympathy)

Funny how small things can really be appreciated in the real world, opposed to a spec sheet.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by aris4n
They came standard on my A6 Prestige and while they are a nice feature, I would not have paid extra for them as a stand-alone option. Having said that, the "cornering lights" that are part of the adaptive headlights module (at least on the A6 and I would assume the S4/A4?) are a great feature. As the name implies, cornering lights are a separate bulb in the edge of the headlight housing that illuminate when taking a sharp turn (e.g. into a side street) - while the adaptive headlights will bend up to 15 degrees, the cornering light illuminates at a 90 degree angle to which you are turning.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had adaptive headlights on my 2006 M45...nice to have...but I don't really miss it. You can always add the under seat storage...I did that...30-45 minutes to install...very easy and I use them all the time.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by redrocker55
I had adaptive headlights on my 2006 M45...nice to have...but I don't really miss it. You can always add the under seat storage...I did that...30-45 minutes to install...very easy and I use them all the time.
have a DIY for it?

Quick Reply: Adaptive Lights