S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice

I want to remove the ugly dealer placard that was affixed to rear of car. I am imagining it is attached with adhesive or glue. What is best method without ruining paint.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2010, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wish I had some good advice for you....but I don't. I did want to thank you, though, for the reminder for me to call the dealer and tell them NOT to stick one of those on my car when it comes in. I'm not sure I would have thought of it without your post here.

Michael
Old 02-12-2010, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did they ask you first if they could put it on, if not then ask them to remove it.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 997C2S
I want to remove the ugly dealer placard that was affixed to rear of car. I am imagining it is attached with adhesive or glue. What is best method without ruining paint.

Thanks
hairdryer and then peel gently. done.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Using a hair dryer and some Glide dental floss, you pass the dryer over the emblem back and forth at a distance of 6-8 inches. This SLOWLY warms the emblem, and the glue holding it without transfering too much heat to the paint. Check aAfter every minute or so see if the emblem is very warm to the touch, you are going for how it would feel to touch chrome which has been out in the sun - not too hot to touch, but VERY warm.

Once it is up to temp, work the floss behind the emblem slowly back and forth with a little tension. It will start pulling the glue from the paint - it is very slow and painstaking. You will have to stop every so often to apply a little more heat to the emblem with the hair dryer a couple of times most likely.

From there, you can get a can from the local auto parts store, which is for removing things from the paint like tar and road crap. Clean the area where there is any residual glue with car wash BEFORE you apply this stuff. Once the site it clean, use this with a clean lint free rag to work the residual glue off. Now you need to reapply some wax to seal the paint again.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by riegerman
Did they ask you first if they could put it on, if not then ask them to remove it.
I'd go this route first with your dealer before doing it yourself just in case. If they turn you down for whatever reason, see NWS4Guy's post.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just do it yourself. Its really easy and almost impossible to screw up. Shouldn't take more then 2 mins tops.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Or ... you can keep it there and negotiate a monthly fee your dealer will pay you for the advertisement you're providing them.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

No way would I let a shop rat at any dealership try to scrape an emblem off my brand new car
Old 02-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
From there, you can get a can from the local auto parts store, which is for removing things from the paint like tar and road crap. Now you need to reapply some wax to seal the paint again.
I use this stuff called De-Solv-It. It takes off the glue very quickly and it will not affect the paint at all. You won't even have to reapply wax to it.

Quick Reply: Advice