S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Advice on seats and color

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on seats and color

I am putting an order for an 2011 S4 this week. Test drove both the 335i and the S4 and absolutely loved the S4.

I am ordering a 6sp Premium, Plus, Rear sports differential B&O, nav and rear side airbags. The color of the car will be black.

I saw the car in brilliant black but have not seen it in phantom black. I was wondering whether anybody has any input into what is the best black color. The Phantom Black has the pearl effect, is that worth the extra $475?

Also, I will order the car with black seats. Are the silk nappa leather seats worth ordering? Or, should I just stick with the standard seats. I have not seen the standard seats and I am afraid I will not like the suede.

thanks for any advice.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FrankSouth
I am putting an order for an 2011 S4 this week. Test drove both the 335i and the S4 and absolutely loved the S4.

I am ordering a 6sp Premium, Plus, Rear sports differential B&O, nav and rear side airbags. The color of the car will be black.

I saw the car in brilliant black but have not seen it in phantom black. I was wondering whether anybody has any input into what is the best black color. The Phantom Black has the pearl effect, is that worth the extra $475?

Also, I will order the car with black seats. Are the silk nappa leather seats worth ordering? Or, should I just stick with the standard seats. I have not seen the standard seats and I am afraid I will not like the suede.

thanks for any advice.
You need to see Phantom Black in person before you make that decision...all you'll get are a bunch of opinions on here, and that might not meet your tastes. The phantom black is similar to Black Sapphire Metallic on a BMW, so you could also go search for that if you can't find a phantom black Audi around town. It is a metallic black.

Again, same thing on the silk nappa leather...that's entirely subjective, so I'd recommend you try and find an audi equipped with alcantara before you make the decision. Where are you located?
Old 04-25-2010, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree. Find a dealership that has one with alcantara and compare it to the silk nappa. The nappa leather is softer and looks more luxurious in my opinion. The standard alcantara / suede like inserts just didn't work for me. It seems harder to clean and when you sweat, it turns into a big sponge.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am in New York City and without a car, so it is not that easy to go to dealerships outside of town. I might look at the Black Sapphire BMW to compare.

Originally Posted by big windy
You need to see Phantom Black in person before you make that decision...all you'll get are a bunch of opinions on here, and that might not meet your tastes. The phantom black is similar to Black Sapphire Metallic on a BMW, so you could also go search for that if you can't find a phantom black Audi around town. It is a metallic black.

Again, same thing on the silk nappa leather...that's entirely subjective, so I'd recommend you try and find an audi equipped with alcantara before you make the decision. Where are you located?
Old 04-25-2010, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You could just follow my wife's credo and say, "when in doubt get the more expensive one".

Hey it works for her.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good choice of S4 over the BMW. I myself would prefer the alcantara (sp?) since they provide better grip. I have no idea on the exterior color though.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Phantom black is a little nicer in my opinion. Absolutely go with the leather. The standard seats are nice but lack the nice detail and white stitching that you get with the leather. Also, a black leather interior with the carbon fiber accents is a tough combination to beat. The alcantera is nice, but looks wise, the leather blows it away.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes on Phantom

Yes on Nappa

Here's my car:

Advice on seats and color-njq45.jpg
This is the sparkle you'll see under some light conditions. Most noticable when you're up close.

Advice on seats and color-qj2fg.jpg
Now imagine black with white stitiching and you'll have black nappa.

But I love my Magma!
Advice on seats and color-ruyjy.jpg

Last edited by xtr3ma; 04-25-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Its personal preference. I was deciding between phantom and brilliant when I ordered mine. Another dealer had one of each. Couldn't really tell the difference when the two were next to each other so I went with the brilliant black. My daily driver now is a BMW with metallic paint. I don't know if there is a scientific reason for it, but the metallic paint seems to attract bird sh** more then other paint jobs. Although it might just be the BMW,

As for the interior one is more upscale, one is more sporty. You have to decide what you want. I went with the two tone alcantara black and silver. I've seen it on a S5 and loved it. Hopefully I don't regret the light interior.

Good luck with your decision
Old 04-26-2010, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

The supercharged badge is now a port installed option that can be ordered when you place your order. Also, when they install the badge, they remove the V-6 badging.

Quick Reply: Advice on seats and color