S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Alcantara Opinions Needed...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alcantara Opinions Needed...

I like the feel of the Alcantara seats but wonder what it would be like to live with them for a few years...

Any opinions as far as the advantages and disadvantages of Alcantara would be appreciated...

Last edited by 2010S4Fan; 01-21-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Clarify title
Old 01-21-2010, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love em, they will show things like lint very well, but they wear very well and look great years later if you take care of them (no creases or big signs of wear), they are also warmer in winter, cooler in summer, and offer some "butt traction" to keep you in place when driving quick in the corners
Old 01-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Love em, they will show things like lint very well, but they wear very well and look great years later if you take care of them (no creases or big signs of wear), they are also warmer in winter, cooler in summer, and offer some "butt traction" to keep you in place when driving quick in the corners
Can you please post a pick of your interior... i"m trying to decide the same thing but after viewing the photos of a yellow S4 on ebay they seemed cheap looking. It just might be that the photos didn't do it justice. I'm hoping this to be the case because I really thing I would like them. Thx.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mmm.... butt traction. LOL. I love my Alcantara seats, by the way.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by filahebe
Can you please post a pick of your interior... i"m trying to decide the same thing but after viewing the photos of a yellow S4 on ebay they seemed cheap looking. It just might be that the photos didn't do it justice. I'm hoping this to be the case because I really thing I would like them. Thx.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2010S4Fan
I like the feel of the Alcantara seats but wonder what it would be like to live with them for a few years...

Any opinions as far as the advantages and disadvantages of Alcantara would be appreciated...
I looked at it before I ordered and in my personal opinion, it looked cheap in the S4. The silk nappa does not have any traction problems at all. It also does not get cold or hot like I've seen some some people say. I get so many complements on the seats/leather.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AlA4
I looked at it before I ordered and in my personal opinion, it looked cheap in the S4. The silk nappa does not have any traction problems at all. It also does not get cold or hot like I've seen some some people say. I get so many complements on the seats/leather.
Personally, I too get many compliments on the Alcantara. Many cars have full leather whereas Alcantara is generally available only on unique / sportier cars... it stands out as unique much like the two-tone silk nappa inserts. Same goes for the S-tronic. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

For me, the traction difference between Alcantara and Silk Nappa was immediately apparent. To be fair, my wife would have preferred the all-black Silk Nappa, though, since she prefers the idea of "real" leather over synthetic suede regardless of performance and didn't like the idea of two-tone seats.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

I like Alcantra but I can't say no to red leather and especially red stitching that go along with it.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by xtr3ma
I can't say no to red leather and especially red stitching that go along with it.
LOL I get lots of compliments on the stitching of my black leather I looked at the Alcantara but didn't like it; seemed cheap to me but int/ext preferences are subjective. To each his own, try to check it out in person and get what you like best.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2010S4Fan

I've had both. The Alcantara in a 2004 S4, and now the silk nappa in my 2010 S4. I can say that I was thinking that I enjoyed the "butt friction" in the Alcantara and I was "worried-ish" that the nappa might not be as grippy. However, I can safely say that the nappa seats are very supportive, hold your butt (and back) well and it looks very classy. I've never felt like I was about to slide around on the leather seats.

I liked the Alcantara, but I love the leather. It's firm and tight, but gives properly under your weight. It's not like the soft, squishy leather you'd find in a land cruiser like a Lincoln Continental.

Quick Reply: Alcantara Opinions Needed...