S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Alcantara Opinions Needed...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you looked at the Audi trunk liner? I have one in my S4 and realy like it a lot. As expected it's a great fit and protects my trunk from all the diving gear I haul around on a regular basis and generally they are in stock. I think I paid $80 or $90.

As for the trunk tie downs, there are marked holes to cut but I chose not too. Most of the time it's my groceries I don't want flying around but I find the hooks under the trunk deck work perfect for securing these items.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:55 AM
srs
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MMA_Fusion
With your WeatherTech mats. Did you also get the trunk liner? if so, do you like it and does it have cutouts for where the cargo net would latch into the floor? On my 2006 A4 the holes for the latches must be cut out of the trunk liner. i've found a cargo net is extremely useful when wanting to go fast with precious cargo like a laptop bag in the trunk so it doesn't fly around.
I put the Weathertech trunk liner in mine - it fits well.

Yes, they have indentations where the latches are. I cut three sides of each so I would have a flap which could still be closed when the latches aren't needed.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the Alcantara but I am concerned about how it will age. I don't have any experience with it. I also hope it doesn't hurt resale since it's usually whether you have leather or you don't. I don't know if there is an in-between. Audi claims it's leather with Alcantara inserts but I still don't which category it falls in. I am also concerned about how will hold up against a baby seat. I hope it doesn't leave a permanent impression in the seat.

I noticed if you build an S5 on audi's website that there isn't a price difference between the Alcantara and Silk Nappa. I wonder why?
Old 02-25-2010, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicky_do_it
I have the Alcantara but I am concerned about how it will age. I don't have any experience with it. I also hope it doesn't hurt resale since it's usually whether you have leather or you don't. I don't know if there is an in-between. Audi claims it's leather with Alcantara inserts but I still don't which category it falls in. I am also concerned about how will hold up against a baby seat. I hope it doesn't leave a permanent impression in the seat.

I noticed if you build an S5 on audi's website that there isn't a price difference between the Alcantara and Silk Nappa. I wonder why?
The new Porsche 911 Turbo comes with Alcantara, there is nothing wrong with it. It is extemely durable and wears with much less age appearances than leather, unless the leather is constantly conditioned and given much more attention than Alcantara requires. As for the baby seat, I recommend removing it whenever it's not in use, and to get one of the baby seat protectors from a place like Babies R Us. They are made for the seat to sit on top of and protect the car's uphostery.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
The new Porsche 911 Turbo comes with Alcantara, there is nothing wrong with it. It is extemely durable and wears with much less age appearances than leather, unless the leather is constantly conditioned and given much more attention than Alcantara requires. As for the baby seat, I recommend removing it whenever it's not in use, and to get one of the baby seat protectors from a place like Babies R Us. They are made for the seat to sit on top of and protect the car's uphostery.
I never had an issue with baby seats and leather so I was never concerned before. I did not know about the baby seat protector. I will look into it. Thanks for the advice.