S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

All about the water pump issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is at the dealership getting the STaSIS ECU + exhaust and I called Audi of NA about getting a proactive replacement. They then proceeded to call my SA and an hour later I got an email from m my SA this morning and he said that they are swapping the water pump for me. My car is outside the VIN range and I'm really happy that my dealership is able to do this for me. ANA was really nice and pleasant to deal with on the phone.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by sf_loft
My car is at the dealership getting the STaSIS ECU + exhaust and I called Audi of NA about getting a proactive replacement. They then proceeded to call my SA and an hour later I got an email from m my SA this morning and he said that they are swapping the water pump for me. My car is outside the VIN range and I'm really happy that my dealership is able to do this for me. ANA was really nice and pleasant to deal with on the phone.
Can you tell us who you talked to from AoA for this to get done? A name or extension number would be great.

My car is August 09 build and within the VIN range of the RVU, but two calls to the dealership and two calls to AoA got me nowhere.

As NWS4Guy says, tick tock, tick tock.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sf_loft
Yeah, a specific name, number, and extension would be great!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Forgot to update but when I had my dealership check it out, he did mention that he saw a small leak and went ahead and replaced it. So it probably had nothing to do with my call to Audi NA. Good thing it was found early and before it broke down on me.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Stranded by water pump this Thursday. 13,300 miles & took del March 1st 2010
Old 11-01-2010, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

It just happened this morning: 01-nov-2010. I was just celebrating the 1st anniversary. My odo indicates 19 000km (~11 800mi.) and the VIN is outside of the range....

/EDIT Took delivery on the 30th of october 2009

Last edited by kwikwi; 11-01-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm really getting pissed off fast on this. I have talked to the dealer about this exactly 7 times throughout the life of my car, last time was on Saturday after seeing that a few people got AoA to agree to do the change. They said no can do, and they agreed it was BS, and that they (the dealer I work with) are going above and beyond what Audi is doing by contacting everyone who bought through this dealer or has been in for service and is in their system and falls in the VIN range to get them in and changed proactively. My dealer also agreed with my assessment that they have also seen far more people with blown pumps OUTSIDE the VIN range than those with blown pumps that fell inside the range.

Still no love for those with the ticking bombs.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

The question is that this car has been out in Europe 1year ahead of NA release correct? So didn't they have any waterpump problems in Europe? Not like it is taking 2 years of ownership for these pumps to fail, they are failing within the first year of ownership so why hasn't Audi fixed this problem already when it was released in Europe as a 2009 model?
Old 11-01-2010, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by riegerman
The question is that this car has been out in Europe 1year ahead of NA release correct? So didn't they have any waterpump problems in Europe? Not like it is taking 2 years of ownership for these pumps to fail, they are failing within the first year of ownership so why hasn't Audi fixed this problem already when it was released in Europe as a 2009 model?
I'll answer that with another question.

The N54 in the 335i has been out since 2007, and has had how many HPFP failures and only just got a recall in double the time that this Audi engine has been out, and only then they admitted on TV was because a well known US news organization did an undercover investigation on it and went public - why is that? Do you think BMW didn't know there was a problem till Nightline exposed it?
Old 11-01-2010, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Let me tell you something. My dealer told me this morning that they have issued a recall on all V6 engines, but not for the S4 yet. When I was towed, arriving at the dealership the tow guy told me that the Q5 that I was parking beside had just been towed by him for the same reason. So this is a V6 issue, not only 3.0T. Then again we are talking about a well know problem from Audi. I would say, stay tuned and don’t let go your dealer on this, its coming in your area!

Last edited by kwikwi; 11-01-2010 at 12:48 PM.

Quick Reply: All about the water pump issue