S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

All about the water pump issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:HyphenationZone>21</w:HyphenationZone> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Tableau Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0mm 5.4pt 0mm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0mm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> By the way, just before the water pump defunct, the day before it happened I was washing my car in the garage. I had a lot of leafs stocked inside the wheel area. So after babying my car, I cleaned the garage floor with the pressure hose, and some substance, like a little bit of oil or gas texture was perceived in the water. I should of doubt that something was going wrong! This morning when I started the car, I was feeling an abnormal engine vibration. I should of doubt again. Back on the road, I started the heating system, only cold air was coming out, I should of doubt, 5 miles later, it happened.... The red temp gauge lighted up…
Old 11-03-2010, 06:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default And another one...

It appears my water pump went out as well on my way to work yesterday. As it is getting colder in the mornings and I'm waiting for may all season tires to come in so I can swap out the summers, I was driving rather conservatively and shifting at around 3000 rpm. While I didn't hear or feel anything unusual from under the hood, the steam that started coming out was enough of an indication that something was wrong. When I parked at work and lifted the hood, I could see coolant all over the engine bay.

I got it towed to the local dealership around lunch and by the evening I got a call from them saying they *think* it was the water pump, but they were waiting to hear back from AoA.

I don't recall my actual build date, but I ordered it in early December and took delivery in mid-March. My VIN ends in 123787, so this is more evidence that the problem extended well past VIN range that they are presently trying to fix.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, it's def the pump, they likely KNOW this. March delivery means a Feb build, you have the bad one. My dealer fessed what I knew - they have been seeing more failures OUTSIDE the VIN range than they have inside it.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I should have also added that I just had my car in for the 5k service last Wednesday at the dealership I purchased it from. I can only imagine that since my VIN doesn't fall in the range, that nothing was mentioned about it.

I haven't been keeping up with the forums here lately, so shame on me for not finding this sooner. From the sounds of it, however, they probably wouldn't have been able to do anything for me even if I told them that I would like it replaced preemptively.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You guys think they have this fixed for the 2011 model? I'm thinking about order one in Dec but all this waterpump stuff has got me thinking 335 instead haha.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2011's all have the revised, metal pump.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Brandonb
2011's all have the revised, metal pump.
o sweet. thanks for the info.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not to say there won't be problems with these pumps... I just checked the coolant level on my 2011 and it's below the MIN line. :-/
Old 11-15-2010, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Another victim.

I've been away from the forums for a while and a friend at work mentioned to me last week about the water pump issue. This weekend I decided to get caught back up on the forums and I read up on the water pump issue. Thank you NWS4Guy for the excellent post! I haven't had any problems until last night.

So last night I went through a drive through near my house for dinner and noticed the temperature gauge was at mid level, then pegged at cold and then returned to the mid point. I get home and pull in to my garage and shut the car off. I noticed the fan still going at a really high speed, then it stops and steam starts rolling out from the hood. Of course being educated from the forum I knew exactly what just happened. I checked my VIN and sure enough it is within the range.

This morning I called University Audi and they confirmed they had a water pump in stock and told me to call for the tow. It's at the shop now. They towed it to University even though Barrier is closer, btw.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ugh, sorry to hear

On another note, since you are a local we need to get you at one of our meet ups

Quick Reply: All about the water pump issue