S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

All my vagcoms have disappeared!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All my vagcoms have disappeared!

I had my Stronic flashed yesterday as I had an issue. Anyway, all my efforts, research etc. for the mods I made via vagcom disappeared. Now I am back to the wink when the signal is on etc. Anyway it looks like any time there is a flash the car is set back to the factory settings. Would the APR tune be affected as well with a similar flash?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seinsmeld13
I had my Stronic flashed yesterday as I had an issue. Anyway, all my efforts, research etc. for the mods I made via vagcom disappeared. Now I am back to the wink when the signal is on etc. Anyway it looks like any time there is a flash the car is set back to the factory settings. Would the APR tune be affected as well with a similar flash?
It shouldn't...the APR tuned CPU is completely separate from the CPU for the DSG. I'm 99.9% sure the APR tune will not be touched via a dealership re-flash. Get ahold of Arin at APR for a definitive answer.

We need input from someone like NWS4guy on the VAG COM questions.

But it sounds to me like they might have flashed more than just the CPU for the DSG. I thought all VAG COM's ( or at least most of them ) were stored in the main CPU. I don't know why the CPU for the DSG would store something like disabling the winking DRL's...or VIM, efficiency mode, etc.

Sorry you lost the VAG COM's. I keep a copy of everything I've done in writing (print off the instructions) so it can quickly be replicated.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

There was speculation that some of the TCU updates also require the ECU to be flashed. If that is the case I am sure the APR tune will disappear and have to be sent back to them.

Seinsmeld13,

Any chance you can post what transmission software you are running now? Does the car feel/behave any different?

TIA
Old 03-01-2011, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by blackhawk878
There was speculation that some of the TCU updates also require the ECU to be flashed. If that is the case I am sure the APR tune will disappear and have to be sent back to them.

Seinsmeld13,

Any chance you can post what transmission software you are running now? Does the car feel/behave any different?

TIA
I'll review the service order to see if that info was noted. Tarnny feels the same. I will let yo know in the next few days after i driven for an extended period,.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'll review the service order to see if that info was noted. Tarnny feels the same. I will let yo know in the next few days after i driven for an extended period,.
Do you have your own vag com cable to pull the data?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I believe any time the vehicle is in for service and connected to the dealer's equipment, the car will be reset to the factory settings (unless you have a VCDS-friendly dealership who you can ask not to). From another thread (maybe on AZ), I think it was also determined that only changes made via 07-Coding (DRL winking, etc.) are reset while any VCDS changes made via the 10-Adaptation (display gear number for D and S modes, etc.) don't get reset.

One quick way to restore the settings is to:
a) save the "before" and "after" long coding for each controller you modify (most of my VCDS changes are in 5 or 6 controllers).
b) when you get your car back, compare the reset long coding to your saved "before" coding (make sure the factory settings haven't changed)
c) if the factory coding didn't change, just replace the entire long code with the "after" code you had saved instead of having to make each change manually.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Old 03-01-2011, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, they will sometimes reset the factory settings to default when flashing the TCU just so they start with a clean slate and baseline, then the ECU relearns the DSG and driver characteristics. This SHOULD NOT be a reflash of the ECU, just a reset to defaults - that is not to say that they might not have reflashed the ECU, the shouldn't have, but still could have anyway.