S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

AMI sound quality is awful

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 04:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using USB key over the AMI connector and the sound is great..I have B&O + NAV
Old 06-03-2010, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

my ipod connection sounded like crap as well until i adjusted some audio settings which helped out a little bit

honestly a hd sd card reads faster and sounds better than an ipod and easier to manage your audio files...i hate scrolling through a large directory and it says "loading...."

mess with your audio settings in your stereo as well, i have b&o and no navi as well
Old 06-03-2010, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by helix139
iPods are incapable of providing a digital signal output from the dock connector. Probably has something to do with copy protection and the RIAA or MPAA or something. I believe even using the bluetooth on the iPod Touch with a set of A2DP headphones results in the audio being converted first to analog then back to a digital signal for transmission over bluetooth.
I think it is possible to get a digital output from the dock.

Wadia came out with a transport for audiophiles to access the digital output of an iPod so they could use the signal in their high end home DACs. Apparently Wadia realized this was possible after seeing some car stereo manufacturers could access the digital output.

Here's Wadia's product

http://www.wadia.com/products/transports/170i/
Old 02-22-2013, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by McGriddle
My iphone sounds great across AMI, identical to the SD card slots with the same music. I try to encode all my music at 256 kbps or higher. Also, do you have the sound being processed in any way by the ipod itself? I leave "sound check" off and leave off any equalization on the iphone itself. I notice no hiss whatsoever. Poorly encoded songs (e.g. 128 kbps) can sound tinny and awful due to the low bitrate.

Now if only Sirius would be better! The sound quality is pretty terrible, IMO.
sorry to resurrect an old thread.

i have '13 with nav and ipod touch 4th gen ios 6.1.2, blue grommet ami cable, i found that "sound check" off setting doesn't "stick". once i set it to off everything sounds fine (or fine enough that i can't distinguish from sd), however when i re-start the car from being off overnight the setting resets itself.

i also noticed that ipod makes the "cable connected" sound/beep when i turn the car on, this may have something to do with this.

also found that (irrespective of whether the car is on) if i set "sound check" to off, then disconnect and reconnect the ipod the setting resets itself.

i'm wondering whether this is ami, ipod, ios or some other odd permutation of these.

has anyone else experienced this situation?

thanks,
igor
Old 02-22-2013, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the B&O plus nav in my 2010 S4 Prestige and just can't quite get the sound the way I like it tweaking all the settings. Definitely notice a downgrade in sound from the iPod vs SD card.

In my old car, I had my Android phone with Beats audio connected to my Bose stereo and it sounded great and I didn't need to mess with any settings on the stereo (Beats is really nice as I compared it to other Android music apps with 10 equalizer manual settings and couldn't get them to sounds as good as Beats)

With that said, I actually just today ordered from Amazon a cable for the MMI with a 35mm jack plug so I can test out my phone music with Beats on the B&O, as I've been curious to test that out since there's no aux input in our cars.

I should get it Tuesday and let you know how that compares to everything...
Old 02-22-2013, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jmk32
I have the B&O plus nav in my 2010 S4 Prestige and just can't quite get the sound the way I like it tweaking all the settings. Definitely notice a downgrade in sound from the iPod vs SD card.

In my old car, I had my Android phone with Beats audio connected to my Bose stereo and it sounded great and I didn't need to mess with any settings on the stereo (Beats is really nice as I compared it to other Android music apps with 10 equalizer manual settings and couldn't get them to sounds as good as Beats)

With that said, I actually just today ordered from Amazon a cable for the MMI with a 35mm jack plug so I can test out my phone music with Beats on the B&O, as I've been curious to test that out since there's no aux input in our cars.

I should get it Tuesday and let you know how that compares to everything...
thanks for the reply:

in my case the perceived downgrade seems to be due to the fact that "sound check" always re-enables itself and ipod's own sound processing gets in the mix. i haven't found a way to make the "off" setting to stick.

if you're going to connect the ipod via 3.5mm jack, how are you planning to charge it in the glovebox?
Old 02-22-2013, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by igord
thanks for the reply:

in my case the perceived downgrade seems to be due to the fact that "sound check" always re-enables itself and ipod's own sound processing gets in the mix. i haven't found a way to make the "off" setting to stick.

if you're going to connect the ipod via 3.5mm jack, how are you planning to charge it in the glovebox?
I have a dash mount already for my phone where I can charge it easily. The MMI cable I got has a long (6foot) wire so I can plug it in to my phone on the dash mount instead of it being stuck in the glove compartment. I'll work on a better set up if I like the sound better...
Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
The iPod connection via AMI is analog whether you have Nav, B&O or whatever. This is the achilles heel of the setup, I'm sorry to tell you.
Yes it's ****ty. Come on Audi get with it!!! Acura / Lexus has you spanked in this area!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:35 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by perdido34
I have an ipod touch 3G, which has the same audio system as the iphone. To me, it sounds excellent over the AMI ipod cable (I have B&O and nav). And you can play uncompressed WAV files, which will not play from the SD card slots.
Same here I have B&O and nav + 6th generation ipod nano and the sound is excellent over AMI.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My understanding is that Apple doesn't license a digital output from the iPod. Manufacturers can get chips from Apple at huge prices. High end audio companies like Bowers and Wilkins, Wadia, etc. are willing to pay the price as their market expects high priced components. A volume car manufacturer like Audi isn't going to go that route. Thus the analog output to the AMI.

Quick Reply: AMI sound quality is awful