S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Annoying brake squeal - wtf?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

I had the squeal early at some point but forgot about it and it went away. 6k+ miles on the car and I havent heard it since. It will go away.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just started to hear it after 5k miles

It is very loud at slow speed as others indicate in previous post. However, I don't think it is temperature related.
I will ping my service manager on the TSB.

Thanks for the number.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this also, since the temperatures have dropped here in Wyoming....not liking it at all...in my opinion, this should never be an issue in a $50,000+ car!
Old 11-30-2010, 04:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I took my car to the track (VIR) about a month ago, and ever since, my breaks started squealing as well. It only happens when I'm very lightly pressing the breaks and I'm going about 1-2mph. In addition, when I'm hard on the breaks, it's not as smooth as it used to be.

I'm not sure if tracking it has anything to do with the squeal, or if it's the cold weather.

First off, I'm no mechanic by any means, but wouldn't the squeal be caused by the material that makes up the rotor and breakpads? If so, wouldn't another combo solve this problem all together. Although I'd hate to spend more money, I'd do it to save myself some embarrassment.

Having said that, is there a rotor/pad combination that provides a great balance between decent performance on the track with everyday driving? ie, something that'll hold it's own on the track, but not squeal when I'm going to work?

Dustin

Last edited by DustinS; 11-30-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I heard a squeal at 1-2mph for the very first time yesterday pulling into my garage. Never heard it before and I have 11k miles on the car. This was after a few rain storms and temperature drop into the 40's and 50's here in the bay area.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default SQUEAL is worse this winter than last

anything under 50 degrees... completely unacceptable.

And, please, don't talk to me about bedding. Tried that, 5 times. 2 different techniques. Didn't work. They need bedding? I'll have them do it. I'm bringing the car to the dealer and simply will not accept it back until it's fixed. If you kick and scream, they'll bump it up the food chain until something gets done. I'll just keep driving the loaner off the lot until it's fixed. It's going in next week. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by trigoe
anything under 50 degrees... completely unacceptable.

And, please, don't talk to me about bedding. Tried that, 5 times. 2 different techniques. Didn't work. They need bedding? I'll have them do it. I'm bringing the car to the dealer and simply will not accept it back until it's fixed. If you kick and scream, they'll bump it up the food chain until something gets done. I'll just keep driving the loaner off the lot until it's fixed. It's going in next week. I'll let you know what happens.
Yes, please keep us updated!
Old 11-30-2010, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

As far as squeeking on a 50k car this issue exists across many high performance cars. One that sticks in my mind is the 90k E60 M5 a few friends had them always had some kind of brake squeel and noise. It comes with the territory. Change out of OEM pads and you should be ok
Old 11-30-2010, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BaLLZDeePNYC
As far as squeeking on a 50k car this issue exists across many high performance cars. One that sticks in my mind is the 90k E60 M5 a few friends had them always had some kind of brake squeel and noise. It comes with the territory. Change out of OEM pads and you should be ok
HMMM...Owned a BMW and Infinti G35....never had this problem, so I can't say it comes with the territory. Brake dust ...I will agree, but not brake noise.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had squealing for the first time yesterday, very minor. I noted it was cold. I have 30,000 on the car.

Quick Reply: Annoying brake squeal - wtf?!?!