S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Annoying brake squeal - wtf?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having this. Cold today and it was LOUD however short lived.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2011 S4, manual, with 1k mile on it, never been to a track and I am getting a very high pitch squel when going very slow and apply light pressure on the brakes. Doesn't do it all the time but should it do it all? Keep us updated with the outcome from the dealership. Thanks
Old 12-02-2010, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Count me in. Below freezing today in Chicago...exiting a parking garage I thought my $55k car sounded like a taxi. 5400 miles.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Awful squeal

My 2010 S4 has the same issue and has gotten much worst with the lower temps in KC. I find that if a slam it in reverse to about 30 and then slam on the breaks a few time, it buys me about four days worth. Its just damn embarrassing. The dealer says its because the OEM pads are made of some newer metallic compound; they roughed them up for me, but after a couple days, it came back.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rfogleman
HMMM...Owned a BMW and Infinti G35....never had this problem, so I can't say it comes with the territory. Brake dust ...I will agree, but not brake noise.
Actually, the '04-05 Acura TL with 6-spd manuals came with Brembo brakes and had the exact same squealing issue. It was a constant complaint on the Acurazine forum. When they came out with the '07 Type-S, they still had Brembo brakes, but the squealing problem was solved.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I took my 2011 S4 in for its 5K service today and mentioned the squeal. He said that it "happens all the time", and before I could even finish my sentence, he was reaching for a brochure that explains why this occurs. I've scanned it and attached it to this post hoping it "helps" others.

I hear what everyone's saying about "it comes with the territory"... but I'm calling BS personally. What should come with a $50K+ car are nice smooth (quiet) brakes.

crsvoboda is right... from what the mechanic and brochure say, it has to do with the metallic compound used in the brake pads.

Last question... and I'm gonna shut up about the brakes.. but does anyone have any experience with aftermarket brakes that are track worthy but also good for everyday driving?
Attached Images   

Last edited by DustinS; 12-02-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow... I just noticed that those images where scaled down considerably when I uploaded them. If anyone's having problems reading it, let me know and I can upload them some other way (or just send them to you directly)

Dustin
Old 12-02-2010, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shhhh! If everyone keeps complaining about brake noise, Audi will start putting mushy pads on that are useless on the track.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DustinS

I hear what everyone's saying about "it comes with the territory"... but I'm calling BS personally. What should come with a $50+ car are nice smooth (quiet) brakes.

Thank you...I was starting to think I was the only one that felt this way.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DustinS
I took my 2011 S4 in for its 5K service today and mentioned the squeal. He said that it "happens all the time", and before I could even finish my sentence, he was reaching for a brochure that explains why this occurs. I've scanned it and attached it to this post hoping it "helps" others.

I hear what everyone's saying about "it comes with the territory"... but I'm calling BS personally. What should come with a $50+ car are nice smooth (quiet) brakes.

crsvoboda is right... from what the mechanic and brochure say, it has to do with the metallic compound used in the break pads.

Last question... and I'm gonna shut up about the breaks.. but does anyone have any experience with aftermarket breaks that are track worthy but also good for everyday driving?
Thanks for posting this. Funny how Audi didn't throw this in with the new B8 S4 brochure they sent me last year.....

Quick Reply: Annoying brake squeal - wtf?!?!