S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Anti-freeze smell from vents

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 07:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti-freeze smell from vents

After my car sits for a day or so, my cars gives off this anti-freeze smell when I crank it up and the heater cut on..very faint and doesn't last very long but its there. Have any of you experienced this and what do you think it is. I think a pin size hole in the heater core. May call my SA at Audi to see what he says.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Could also be a small leak around water pump and smell is be being sucked into the cabin air intake until it burns off?
Old 01-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have a pre 3/10 build car, I would get the WP replaced ASAP.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yep. Water pump. Get it checked asap (or replaced)!
Old 01-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Waudi
After my car sits for a day or so, my cars gives off this anti-freeze smell when I crank it up and the heater cut on..very faint and doesn't last very long but its there. Have any of you experienced this and what do you think it is. I think a pin size hole in the heater core. May call my SA at Audi to see what he says.
Water pump leak. This is how it starts. Check your coolant level. If it anywhere lowere than the MIN line, get the WP replaced. Also, if your car is a pre 3/10 build, the WP is going to blow sooner or later. Start with that.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the responses. I check the coolant level when the engine was hot and it was right at the Max line. I mean perfect. I think my date of the car is 9/10. I also thought i may have smelled a little anti-freeze after some "spirited driving" today. Man this car is fast and corners well (I have the sports diff w/6sp). Also when i put my car in the "dynamic" setting it is a whole new animal.."auto" just can't compare.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not necissaily guys, Audi's tend to have a sweet coolant like smell when the heater first kicks on, all Audi's tend to do this, it's not indicative of a coolant leak.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Not necissaily guys, Audi's tend to have a sweet coolant like smell when the heater first kicks on, all Audi's tend to do this, it's not indicative of a coolant leak.
Thanks..i am hoping that this is just what it is. There is no indication any coolant being used..hence the perfect coolant level when the engine is hot. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks..i am hoping that this is just what it is. There is no indication any coolant being used..hence the perfect coolant level when the engine is hot. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Mine has always smelled like this for the first few seconds then gone. Never had any leak, and the dealer just proactively replaced my pump last week and it still does it. Many have asked about this and it's an Audi quirk apparently - check the search and you'll see several posts.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the responses. I check the coolant level when the engine was hot and it was right at the Max line. I mean perfect. I think my date of the car is 9/10. I also thought i may have smelled a little anti-freeze after some "spirited driving" today. Man this car is fast and corners well (I have the sports diff w/6sp). Also when i put my car in the "dynamic" setting it is a whole new animal.."auto" just can't compare.
If your build date is 9/10, then it has to be a 2011. So shouldn't be a WP failure.

Quick Reply: Anti-freeze smell from vents