S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Any inherent issues with AT or are people chosing MT for "preference"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My preference is to drive an MT, even in heavy traffic. The DSG is a fine tranny though, so it is a no-lose pick. I test drove one. Pick the one that will work best for "you". As I have been driving MT's now for 39 years, I will stick with the MT. Shifting is 2nd nature to me.

Bruce
Old 06-28-2011, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the DSG manual mode was a true manual mode (i.e. let you bang off the rev limiter and only shifted to prevent a stall), then I might have gone DSG. As it was, I like having full control of my car without the computer deciding what gear I should be in. Throw in the reduced cost and the additional feeling of engagement and it was a no brainer for me. Throw in a light clutch that makes operation in traffic a breeze and I really have no complaints about my choice.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i've driven automatics for the past 25 years and this one is special. its shifts as others have said are lightning quick. its the first thing i noticed when driving mine. the matching revs upon downshifting is really nice, makes me want to downshift using the paddles all the time. also, the ability to simply sit back and relax during rush hour commute is a requirement where i live. You wont be sorry with this S-tronic.
Good luck.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by colnago
After working from home for 4 years, my new commute, in mostly stop-n-go traffic, is taking 3-4 hours a day, and taking its toll on my left leg.
In your case it is a no-brainer, I would say. The DSG will be far better for you (and your leg) on your daily commute, and there is still a shed-load of fun to be had on those rare occasions you get to open her up.

I'm a lifelong manual driver and still I was almost (not quite!) persuaded to go for the S4 DSG by a friend who mainly drives manual. I test drove the DSG and it was fine, and I'm sure it would only get better as me and the car get to know each other better. But I don't have a nasty commute and my wife also prefers manual so no overwhelming reasons for us. I expect our next car (5-10 years down the line) might be a different issue...
Old 06-29-2011, 04:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

took the MT by preference (and DSG had some quirks at the time), yet 2 months later, after getting used to it, i'm no longer sure of my choice (i often say to myself 'damn, should've taken DSG after all')

4 things bother me on the MT:

- that 'auto rpm increase' feature when engaging the clutch (itself a good idea, but the logic of when to increase rpm seems to have a mind of it's own)
- imho, engine rpms drops too fast during gear changes (either you have to shift very quickly, or play with your right foot to keep some rpm)
- i find the gear change quite noisy (cla click clunk). Well, the tranny is still new, so maybe it will settle by itself
- some strange felt 'clunk' in the transmission when (just) disengaging the clutch to shift 1-2 (this one, i don't know yet if it's normal or not)
Old 06-29-2011, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

MT6 because I love revv matching and heel toes.

The farts are funny though.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by swissdrive
4 things bother me on the MT:

- that 'auto rpm increase' feature when engaging the clutch (itself a good idea, but the logic of when to increase rpm seems to have a mind of it's own)
- imho, engine rpms drops too fast during gear changes (either you have to shift very quickly, or play with your right foot to keep some rpm)
- i find the gear change quite noisy (cla click clunk). Well, the tranny is still new, so maybe it will settle by itself
- some strange felt 'clunk' in the transmission when (just) disengaging the clutch to shift 1-2 (this one, i don't know yet if it's normal or not)

RPMs only increase when you let clutch out and you don't have foot on the gas AT ALL. If you are just barely depressing it, it will not do it.
Also noticed that I had to shift a little faster than my previous MT. You get used to it, though, don't worry.
Clunking not normal, get it checked out. Mine did not do that.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I've taken the opposite track this go around, having similarly driven stick for many moons. I find I'm in ever-increasing traffic volume these days so opted for an auto. I would have preferred an S-tronic (DSG), but the Tip-T is pretty good for an A5 "grand touring" vehicle.

Originally Posted by rktskicar
My preference is to drive an MT, even in heavy traffic. The DSG is a fine tranny though, so it is a no-lose pick. I test drove one. Pick the one that will work best for "you". As I have been driving MT's now for 39 years, I will stick with the MT. Shifting is 2nd nature to me.

Bruce
Old 06-29-2011, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by helix139
If the DSG manual mode was a true manual mode (i.e. let you bang off the rev limiter and only shifted to prevent a stall), then I might have gone DSG. As it was, I like having full control of my car without the computer deciding what gear I should be in....
Fair enough. So no exploring the upper rev range with the DSG? Not that I regularly do this, but the APR chip/pulley combo seems to still generate power at the upper end.

Does the system also automate functions such as "rev-matching", etc? If so, does it detract from the feeling of driving a sequential gearbox (i.e. there's too much computer aid to feel in direct control), and would having ADS change any of that?

Thanks again for all the replies...I'll more than likely go with DSG, but its nice to know what to expect going in. Even if it won't be a daily driver, I'm sure that the very first time I hit traffic (why is the top of 495 blocked in the same spot every morning, then everyone just goes back to regular speed at the same spot ) I'll be happy I have flappy-paddles, regardless of how its implemented.

Last edited by colnago; 06-29-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the DSG and I can "explore the upper rev range" and "bang off the rev limiter" all day long. Mine has never shifted before redline in either auto when floored or in manual until I shifted it. It does rev match on down shifts as well, even in auto mode when in the dynamic setting; it feels awesome and doesnt detract at all from the drive feel. Ive driven nothing but manuals my whole life until this car and have zero regrets. The only thing us DSG guys will miss out on is the additional 200 rpm redline increase that comes with the APR flash, but you wont ever notice that anyway. 200 rpms is practically a rounding error when youre talking about a 7,000 rpm redline anway; even if you have a manual, youll likely shift a millisecond too early or late and miss the exact redline anyway.

Bottom line - I love the DSG and dont miss the manual at all. DSG feels like driving an F1 car when youre pushing it.

Quick Reply: Any inherent issues with AT or are people chosing MT for "preference"?