S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Any recommendation on tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any recommendation on tire pressure

As the weather got warm here in NY the road noise from my tires got pretty loud. I have the 18s with pirellis and they didn't make noise in winter but now sound decently loud while I'm driving at lower speeds and braking. I'm thinking maybe has to do with pressure they looked at my tires at the 5k service today and didn't notice any uneven wear. Any ideas?
Old 03-19-2011, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

The P7's are not a quiet tire but they do grip in the corners very well. I've ran the fronts between 38 and 41 and rears between 35 and 41. When I take off my winter setup and put them back on I'll probably go 40 front, 38 rear. I haven't experimented with pressure vs road noise.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two setting, one that is posted inside your door ( done obviously for liability reasons, thanks Americans courts ) which is the setting for when your car is fully loaded, read three or more passengers. The second setting I believe is 37 f 35 r, don't quote me on that, check your manual. I go with the lower setting unless I am going on an extended trip with my family or friends.

The noise you are experiencing may be cupping which is quite common. To eliminate that problem, simple, replace the tires. My Pirelli's were spent and long since been replaced. There were shot at about 22-25,000 km.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run my 19s @39 psi
Old 03-20-2011, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 275 Likes on 201 Posts

If using 18" tires & less than three people in the car, 35-36lbs rear, 39-40lbs in front (manual says 35r/39f).

At the 5k service, Audi dealer set my pressures at 36lbs rear, 40lbs in front
Old 03-21-2011, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You can use spreadsheet I made , with use of the even saver equation then the one the European tire-manufacturers use , and since 2005 ( not coincidentialy after the Ford/Firestone-affaire) als in America.
It does not matter if you have other then OEM tires.
It uses the Gross axle weight ratings of the car (GAWR.
Then you can decide your own pressure for your loads and speed/
You can also fill in "your own imput"for the load , but this is dangerous, because this load is often underestimated.
You can use a load% of 85% ( divide load by 0,85) for still a comfortable ride, and as much reserve as possible, always stay at the high side.
http://cid-a526e0eee092e6dc.office.l...0tyre-pressure
Download and open it in Excell-like programm , and not directly in the browser, then it wont work because of protection and data-validation I used in it.
If you cant work it out , give me here the details, and I will do it for you . Then besides the max load and sort of tire , and from the car the GAWR and max speed, the empty weight and load you normaly carry ( number of persons and extra load) would be nice too
Old 03-21-2011, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jadatis
You can use spreadsheet I made , with use of the even saver equation then the one the European tire-manufacturers use , and since 2005 ( not coincidentialy after the Ford/Firestone-affaire) als in America.
It does not matter if you have other then OEM tires.
It uses the Gross axle weight ratings of the car (GAWR.
Then you can decide your own pressure for your loads and speed/
You can also fill in "your own imput"for the load , but this is dangerous, because this load is often underestimated.
You can use a load% of 85% ( divide load by 0,85) for still a comfortable ride, and as much reserve as possible, always stay at the high side.
http://cid-a526e0eee092e6dc.office.l...0tyre-pressure
Download and open it in Excell-like programm , and not directly in the browser, then it wont work because of protection and data-validation I used in it.
If you cant work it out , give me here the details, and I will do it for you . Then besides the max load and sort of tire , and from the car the GAWR and max speed, the empty weight and load you normaly carry ( number of persons and extra load) would be nice too
I weigh about 185 and my girl like 110 I dont carry much of anything in my car except maybe a 5lb gym bag.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Then the most important weights I have now
But now the data of the car and tires and I can calculate.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BaLLZDeePNYC
As the weather got warm here in NY the road noise from my tires got pretty loud. I have the 18s with pirellis and they didn't make noise in winter
Don't run summer tires in the winter.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea they turn hard as hockey pucks and will put you into a curb, guardrail, wall or worse.

Quick Reply: Any recommendation on tire pressure